Votes: 34 20.5%
  • Team Van

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Both are pair of tw**s on this occasion!

But I'm on the side of the motorist in general the :censored: times cyclists ride two a breast they take the p**s and its :censored: dangerous!

[tweet]819485232869113857[/tweet]

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
"The truth is that no driver was injured when colliding with a person riding a bike" is like saying "a train driver is not injured with hitting a person on the track", it ignores any mental injury

The train driver doesn't usually have much control over it - car drivers and cyclists can drive with due care and attention and avoid accidents.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Both van driver and cyclist are twats. However only one of them will be getting a driving ban and/or prison sentence.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So let's recap...

• A road user is ahead of another road user; the first one being in the correct position in the road.
• The road user behind wishes to overtake, and is impatient to do so.
• However, he does so in a dangerous and illegal manner, risking the first road user's life with a potentially lethal manoeuvre.

And there are people dumb enough on here who wish to justify this appalling behaviour by stating

• The first user shouldn't be in that road position. (They should - a. it's their right, and b. the Highway Code recommends that position)
• That the road position of the first road user justified the second road user's behaviour
• That, seeing as we didn't see the whole clip, we don't know if the second road felt entitled to run the first road user off the road
• Cyclists are twats (textbook prejudice)
• Cyclists should pay a non-existent tax
• Cyclists don't pay for the upkeep of the roads (thereby implying cyclists don't pay any tax whatsoever)

Textbook NSC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Both van driver and cyclist are twats. However only one of them will be getting a driving ban and/or prison sentence.

Is that because there is no law about being a **** and only one of them tried to injure/harm the other?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
On Facebook, the company made the following statement:

I am writing this letter to express my sincere apologies to the cyclist that was very unfortunate to experience a very irresponsible and dangerous move by an engineer driving one of Vidette's vehicles on Sunday 30th April.

My wife and I are both very keen cyclist ourselves so fully appreciate the impact/trauma that a near miss like this would have on anyone in this situation.
I have now interviewed the driver and can honestly say the he is so full of remorse and fully understands how lucky he and the cyclist have been on this occasion and swears to never let himself get into a position like this again He stated that he was having personal problems with his family and his mind “was all over the place” and that he is so sorry. I do believe him and could tell his apology was genuine, however we cannot condone nor let this behaviour have any place within our company, we have decided to make an example here and to promote driver awareness going forward. He has been dismissed from immediate effect!
This experience has made me realise that I can do something to help reduce this sort of behaviour on our roads so have decided to introduce a driver awareness course into our already busy H&S training matrix for all our employees. The AA seem to have a nice one called Driver Alertness Education, I have actioned this to be investigated & organised immediately.
Adding to the above, I have had full backing & agreement in these decisions from all of our management team.
I hope this letter will also be of comfort to the other road users & cyclists who have written their concerns.

NB - I was on holiday until early this morning which made an immediate answer nigh on impossible. I understand that the vast majority of mails and social media comments are from concerned genuine people however, we received some really hurtful mails wishing all sorts of medical curses on our office staff which swayed me into taking down the access from our web site & social media pages.

Sincere apologies,

Ian Frazer
Managing Director
Vidette Uk

Good to see the company taking this stance, but what a poor excuse from the driver. We all have problems at some point in our lives - but it doesn't mean we try to kill someone! He was lucky the bike riders head didn't end up "all over the place", like his apparently was. What a complete dickhead, & good to see the company dismissing him immediately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So let's recap...

• A road user is ahead of another road user; the first one being in the correct position in the road.
• The road user behind wishes to overtake, and is impatient to do so.
• However, he does so in a dangerous and illegal manner, risking the first road user's life with a potentially lethal manoeuvre.

And there are people dumb enough on here who wish to justify this appalling behaviour by stating

• The first user shouldn't be in that road position. (They should - a. it's their right, and b. the Highway Code recommends that position)
• That the road position of the first road user justified the second road user's behaviour
• That, seeing as we didn't see the whole clip, we don't know if the second road felt entitled to run the first road user off the road
• Cyclists are twats (textbook prejudice)
• Cyclists should pay a non-existent tax
• Cyclists don't pay for the upkeep of the roads (thereby implying cyclists don't pay any tax whatsoever)

Textbook NSC.

I wouldn't say textbook NSC at all.
TBH I'm quite pleased that the response has been broadly pro bike, text book NSC of old, would have been quite the reverse.

As [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] says (clearly copying my comments from Geeks yesterday :lol: ) there's quite obviously more to this situation that what the video shows. I've been in this situation enough times to know that for a fact.

We're unlikely to find out what occurred before such appallingly dangerous life threatening driving.
We can fairly safely say the punishment handed out by the driver, won't fit the crime, but something has definitely happened before the video.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I wouldn't say textbook NSC at all.
TBH I'm quite pleased that the response has been broadly pro bike, text book NSC of old, would have been quite the reverse.

As [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] says (clearly copying my comments from Geeks yesterday :lol: ) there's quite obviously more to this situation that what the video shows. I've been in this situation enough times to know that for a fact.

We're unlikely to find out what occurred before such appallingly dangerous life threatening driving.
We can fairly safely say the punishment handed out by the driver, won't fit the crime, but something has definitely happened before the video.

Probably nothing more than the driver has only just (before the clip) managed to get past the lead cyclist's mates, then got to the bend, and "Oh For F U C K S Sake, there's ANOTHER one. Get out of my way you PRICK. I'm in a HURRY"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably nothing more than the driver has only just (before the clip) managed to get past the lead cyclist's mates, then got to the bend, and "Oh For F U C K S Sake, there's ANOTHER one. Get out of my way you PRICK. I'm in a HURRY"
Quite possibly.
Equally possible is that the riders were riding 3 abreast the driver gave a little toot to say he was there.
Got a volley of abuse while the outside rider stayed where he was in the road, to 'teach him a lesson'.

Do either things warrant being run off the road, of course not.

But in the video did the rider do everything possible to keep himself safe?
No, no he didn't.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
• That, seeing as we didn't see the whole clip, we don't know if the second road felt entitled to run the first road user off the road.

You've been referring to alot of text books.

Nobody said he was 'entitled' or that anything would warrant the life-threatening manouevre, just putting words in people's mouths which is predictable.

I've witnessed first hand cyclists goad and provoke responses in motorists, a couple of times with a mate filming behind from the getgo. It's some kind of weird sanctimonious victimisation thing which is undeniably prevalent amongst cyclists. On the basis that the cyclist seemed almost nonchalant and unabashed at what was an outrageous piece of road rage, people merely suggested that the video has probably cropped the aforementioned part out which makes the driver's actions understandable so much that if you did similar on the street, you would get smacked (also not ok, also a crime and potentially life threatening).

To suggest that without provocation the motorist acts like a total maniac is a little naive. Note that nowhere have I justified his actions or suggested that his/her punishment should be reduced, only that the danger may have been invited, as I have seen before with my own eyes as a driver.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I haven't looked yet but if there were two category's of road user that irritate me the most it would be these two, I'll assume they were both wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This stuff happens, while out on the road.
It's fookin dangerous, and to us cyclists there is only one end result, we are the ones getting injured or killed.

For that reason I'm usually pro motor, irrespective as to how wrong they are, at the end of the day they are the ones with the power (literally).
We should compensate for every driver in every situation, assume they are all monsters and protect ourselves.

Sometimes it's tough to do, esp when we've been wronged, we're scared, we've been 'winged', and the red mist has descended.
But at the end of the day we just have to suck it up, because the car (van in this case) can easily run us off the road.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Both stupid.
But although the "holier than though" attitude of some cyclists does them no favours at all, I'd have to side with them on this occasion as I don't think it warrants having his life put in danger.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I genuinely fear for road users who are in the vicinity of the 20% who are 'Team Van'. It appears they've got no understanding of The Highway Code, nor any consideration for other road users, especially cyclists.
I'm still a bit too shocked to put my thoughts into words. Of course NSC has the odd bell end, but seriously, people here think it's ok to drive a van into a cyclist? WTF?

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Quite possibly.
Equally possible is that the riders were riding 3 abreast the driver gave a little toot to say he was there.
Got a volley of abuse while the outside rider stayed where he was in the road, to 'teach him a lesson'.

Do either things warrant being run off the road, of course not.

But in the video did the rider do everything possible to keep himself safe?
No, no he didn't.
Blimey, I'll have to agree with you there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here