Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It seems that way, yes.

Personally, I found him frustrating last season. Few real howlers, but he was responsible for giving the ball away so many times with his terrible distribution. If an outfield player failed with his passes that many times, he'd be playing in the county league before the season was out. I know it's not his primary role, but it put us under so much pressure at times.

Sorry, struggling with this. Other than Forest?

Derby game at home early in the season you could argue he could have come for the cross, but then you could argue that in the absence of a call Greer should have taken responsibility.

In terms of distribution, perhaps he was a victim of Oscar's poor tactics and opposing teams desire to shut off shorter goal-kicks. If you do go longer and through the air of course it is 50/50. However, I do agree, his distribution wasn't the best, but weigh that up against his primary role then I think he was more than effective for us. I would also argue that Brezovan and Casper's distribution was/is equally as bad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Simply because Stockdales weakness is known to be he tends to push the ball out into the 6 yd box when making a good save a la Ankergren and Brezovan. That is not to say he is a poor keeper but that is a definite weakness he has.

Do you not think this is a fault with the coaching of keepers these days. More and more parry or punch, when they should be catching. Whether the balls swerve about or not, it cannot be good to parry all the time. When I watched Kuszczak warm up with all of our recent coaches they all seemed advocate's of the parry or punch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you not think this is a fault with the coaching of keepers these days. More and more parry or punch, when they should be catching. Whether the balls swerve about or not, it cannot be good to parry all the time. When I watched Kuszczak warm up with all of our recent coaches they all seemed advocate's of the parry or punch.

I think that is correct. when i was lad we was taught that punching was a last resort if you couldnt catch the ball.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, struggling with this. Other than Forest?

Derby game at home early in the season you could argue he could have come for the cross, but then you could argue that in the absence of a call Greer should have taken responsibility.

Sorry. I think my lazy typing caused that to come across the wrong way. Looking at it now, I'm guessing you read it as me saying he made a few real howlers, when what I meant was that he made few real howlers. Not "a few". Forest obviously, and perhaps one or two others that- as you say- an observer MIGHT question his role in.

Amazing how much difference that little "a" makes to a sentence :)

I still think he gave possession away with frustrating regularity though. Maybe Oscar had told him to go long & he was just following orders. But it did start to wind me up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've just watched our 2-0 win over Newcastle on the COG thread, and saw Kuszczak do exactly that, punch into the path of an attacker, but luckily one of our defenders were there to deny him the shot.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry. I think my lazy typing caused that to come across the wrong way. Looking at it now, I'm guessing you read it as me saying he made a few real howlers, when what I meant was that he made few real howlers. Not "a few". Forest obviously, and perhaps one or two others that- as you say- an observer MIGHT question his role in.

Amazing how much difference that little "a" makes to a sentence :)

I still think he gave possession away with frustrating regularity though. Maybe Oscar had told him to go long & he was just following orders. But it did start to wind me up.

Arguably my lazy reading, looking at it again.... :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a load of rubbish. Stockdale has got good reports from all his loan clubs, especially Hull where they really wanted to sign him permanently. The majority of Fulham fans want him as their number one this season if you look at their website.

A fair few are also not that bothered, also name his passion for the club as a reason to keep him.

He reminds me of Bogdan, pulls of a couple of decent saves then throws in a howler, watch some of the goals he conceded last year, parries the ball back out to the danger zone

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A fair few are also not that bothered, also name his passion for the club as a reason to keep him.

He reminds me of Bogdan, pulls of a couple of decent saves then throws in a howler, watch some of the goals he conceded last year, parries the ball back out to the danger zone

As I said, there are some who aren't bothered but none of them mention parrying the ball into danger as an issue. It's all about commanding his area. And nobody calls him "toilet", they're just not too worried if he leaves.

Also, I remember Hull being very keen to sign him permanently when on loan, which is perhaps a better measure of his quality. It must be tough always being back up to quality keepers. Lets be honest, Fulham have had some great keepers in recent years e.g. Van der Sar, Niemi, Schwarzer and Stekeleunberg. I think a permanent, whether to us or another team, is just what he needs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watch some of the goals he conceded last year, parries the ball back into the danger zone for a goal.

You could argue that the defenders should be more alert.

I've just never rated him, ever time I see him play he makes a basic goalkeeping error, he is a decent shot stopper but is a poor goalkeeper.

He was first choice for most of last year wasn't he?

They have had some outrageously good keepers recently

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Watch some of the goals he conceded last year, parries the ball back into the danger zone for a goal.

You could argue that the defenders should be more alert.

I've just never rated him, ever time I see him play he makes a basic goalkeeping error, he is a decent shot stopper but is a poor goalkeeper.

He was first choice for most of last year wasn't he?

They have had some outrageously good keepers recently

Fair enough. It's all about opinions. I just don't get how you've seen enough of him to make a judgement.

I'd be really pleased if we signed him and, judging by this thread, I'd be far from alone. We'll see what happens this week. Still don't think it's likely to happen.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Unless something happened that we are unaware of I do not see him as being £1m spendiing better than TK. Why spend £1m to finish up with something no better than you had already?

Probably save that 1 mill in wages over the course of the contract compared to what TK was on.

TK looked in decline or maybe his mind was elsewhere. Either way, he wouldn't be the best man to have between the sticks if that is the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here