Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They said that about the Eiffel Tower. It will last as long as the public wants it to last.

Engineering techniques of a bygone age were to very much over engineer structures, these days there are built to a price so the bare minimum of materials will be used. the gauge of metals, strength of fasteners,
Regardless of how long the public want it, the design of the construction will only be for a definitive number of years.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Engineering techniques of a bygone age were to very much over engineer structures, these days there are built to a price so the bare minimum of materials will be used. the gauge of metals, strength of fasteners,
Regardless of how long the public want it, the design of the construction will only be for a definitive number of years.

Oh oh is this one of Einsteins puzzles...... ?

Is the answer 2 years

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not sure this is strictly true. The need for economising on material is often outweighed by the fear of litigation for any component failure due to the design spec. If anything buildings and structures in todays age are over engineered to ensure no possibility of failure whether through extreme weather conditions such as max snow and wind loadings, sacrificial tolerances for fire resistance etc. We have greater capabilities of making calculations, but we are also far more liability conscious and risk averse.

If it is maintained and looked after, then it can last well beyond its designed for lifespan.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a fact that structures near salt water will not last forever. They will have a drastically reduced lifespan.
I am looking forward to this though, a great addition to the skyline and a brilliant high point to see the city and surrounding countryside.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
£850,000 paid to Brighton & Hove City Council by the i360 :) It's starting to pay its way!

I am really pleased to announce on our anniversary that this money has already begun flowing to the city and we have already paid the Council more than £850,000. This has included £773,783 in utilisation, arrangement and PWLB administration fees, plus a Section 106 fee of £77,000 to fund transport improvements, bringing the total to £850,703.

http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/latest-news/blog/one-year-on-progress-for-the-site-and-the-city/

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disgusting decision. Nothing like a council corrupting the market !

Hang on, it was always going to close in May 2016, they had a 5 year planning permission. The council were up front from the start that given it was in a conservation area next to listed buildings, the wheel was only ever going to be temporary. All they've done now is refuse the next application to extend it's lifespan. Hardly disgusting when they told the same thing back in 2011 when they limited it to 5 years in the first place!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hang on, it was always going to close in May 2016, they had a 5 year planning permission. The council were up front from the start that given it was in a conservation area next to listed buildings, the wheel was only ever going to be temporary. All they've done now is refuse the next application to extend it's lifespan. Hardly disgusting when they told the same thing back in 2011 when they limited it to 5 years in the first place!

The reason they have rejected an application to extend is to protect their own ( possibly taxpayers funded ) project. The council planning officers recommended allowing it - the councillors have used politics to come to the decision. A dirty state of affairs.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The reason they have rejected an application to extend is to protect their own ( possibly taxpayers funded ) project. The council planning officers recommended allowing it - the councillors have used politics to come to the decision. A dirty state of affairs.

Right from the moment of granting temporary status for it they said it would go if the i360 was secured. All they've done is kept their word! Planning officers only have planning policy guidance and the local plan to recommend on, the councillors have the ability to overrule them (and do at least once every committee I've ever attended). It's not a dirty state of affairs at all. Just following through on what they originally said.

The owners have the right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate which they no doubt expected and prepared for. Had to go through the motions of the local planning application first to get to that point though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The reason they have rejected an application to extend is to protect their own ( possibly taxpayers funded ) project.
Maybe you've got a point, but since that's our money they're protecting, isn't that a good thing?

If, as you suggest, the right decision was to keep it, when would it be the right decision to let it go - or would it be kept for the next 50 years?

Doesn't planning permission for these things take into account what's already here, meaning that planning for the i360 was only given because they knew the wheel was coming down? So now that the i360 is going ahead, isn't it the right decision to not allow similar structures?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Right from the moment of granting temporary status for it they said it would go if the i360 was secured. All they've done is kept their word! Planning officers only have planning policy guidance and the local plan to recommend on, the councillors have the ability to overrule them (and do at least once every committee I've ever attended). It's not a dirty state of affairs at all. Just following through on what they originally said.

The owners have the right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate which they no doubt expected and prepared for. Had to go through the motions of the local planning application first to get to that point though.

..and as the decision was made on political rather than technical planning grounds there is a high likelihood they will win.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right from the moment of granting temporary status for it they said it would go if the i360 was secured. All they've done is kept their word! Planning officers only have planning policy guidance on, the councillors have the ability to overrule them (and do at least once every committee I've ever attended). It's not a dirty state of affairs at all. Just following through on what they originally said.

Go and ask Tory councillors about the deal Theobald and Kitcat did - 90% of them are fuming about it. I'm sure the 50 employees of the wheel will be overjoyed to lose their jobs because the council are favouring a private business. Personally I'll be boycotting the sham and will encourage others not to use the i360. Dirty, corrupt politics were involved in this deal.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't see the wheel being a threat to the i360 because they are completely different rides. One is a large ferris wheel with a height of 50m, the other is a viewing tower at 162m. If anything the wheel helps the Sealife Centre.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Go and ask Tory councillors about the deal Theobald and Kitcat did - 90% of them are fuming about it. I'm sure the 50 employees of the wheel will be overjoyed to lose their jobs because the council are favouring a private business. Personally I'll be boycotting the sham and will encourage others not to use the i360. Dirty, corrupt politics were involved in this deal.

Well I can ask them but Geoffrey Theobald is their leader, so I assume they can fume at him all they like. Are the remaining 10% just Carol and Geoff by any chance?! :lolol:

As for dirty corrupt politics, I hardly think asking the Tory group about that is the best place to start.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone got a nice photo of progress to show us?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
..and as the decision was made on political rather than technical planning grounds there is a high likelihood they will win.

Brighton and Hove Planning Committee decisions probably have one of the highest turnover rates at appeal than anywhere. They are frequently getting their knuckles wrapped by the Planning Inspectorate for cases being given to them that never should be. Mainly because it is a minority council and there is always so much political point scoring.

It will depend on how the decision was reached on what aspects they've hung their refusal on. All the above being said, I have seen officer recommendations overturned at committee having the committee decision upheld at appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here