Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Generally I rate Stockdale as a good shot stopper and brilliant with his distribution. However I do feel he has not been at his best this season, he is hesitant off his line on crosses and hence doesn't boss the penalty area and is far too dependent on the centre halves.
While the first goal was terrible I thought he was at fault twice the pass to Bruno put him straight under pressure and yes his return pass was woeful but Stockdale should have done better. My main concern today was the second goal, he started to come and froze in no man's land, the header wouldn't of beaten him if he stayed on his line and left it to his defenders which is clearly his preference.
Sorry but I would rest him as I feel his confidence s low and even the stronger parts of his game have become fragile as we saw today with his distribution.

el punal

Yeah because every keeper should be able to chest a ball and clear it in one movement.

No surprise the stockdale haters will be out in force tonight

Of course they will. The same charmers who, over the last year, have hated Dunk, Bruno, Baldock, Bong, Hemed, and any other Brighton player who has not been 100% perfect in every match.

Any player, in any team, will have off days or suffer a temporary loss of form. If the fans get on their back, instead of encouraging them, that loss of form could lead to a complete lack of confidence.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
And that was not down to Bruno because...

Well it was not solely down to Bruno because:

1. his horrific back pass did not go directly into the net.
2. No one put a gun to Stockdale's head forcing him to try and control it with his chest.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Generally I rate Stockdale as a good shot stopper and brilliant with his distribution. However I do feel he has not been at his best this season, he is hesitant off his line on crosses and hence doesn't boss the penalty area and is far too dependent on the centre halves.
While the first goal was terrible I thought he was at fault twice the pass to Bruno put him straight under pressure and yes his return pass was woeful but Stockdale should have done better. My main concern today was the second goal, he started to come and froze in no man's land, the header wouldn't of beaten him if he stayed on his line and left it to his defenders which is clearly his preference.
Sorry but I would rest him as I feel his confidence s low and even the stronger parts of his game have become fragile as we saw today with his distribution.

I do respect this view, do not get me wrong, you have at least admitted the first goal is Bruno's fault in the first place. The second is clearly down to a poor pass from Murphy that immediately puts us under attack. However, can you seriously say that going nearly five games without a goal conceded, with a large amount of that due to good goalkeeping means because of two badly defended goals we should be dropping him? Seriously? Am I in a parallel universe here?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How about we attribute it 60:40 Bruno Stockdale because (takes a breath) it was a sh×t backpass which DS turned into a goal scoring opportunity. Bon soir.

And without the sh*t back pass? Bruno almost immediately was bowing down to his mistake, and I will bet you a pound to a piece of sh*t Bruno will take the blame for it in the papers tomorrow.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I do respect this view, do not get me wrong, you have at least admitted the first goal is Bruno's fault in the first place. The second is clearly down to a poor pass from Murphy that immediately puts us under attack. However, can you seriously say that going nearly five games without a goal conceded, with a large amount of that due to good goalkeeping means because of two badly defended goals we should be dropping him? Seriously? Am I in a parallel universe here?

I said Stockdale was at fault twice, Bruno once for the first goal.
I feel our recent run of defensive form is more to Dunk and Duffy than Stockdale, while it seems harsh yes I would rest Stockdale.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I feel our recent run of defensive form is more to Dunk and Duffy than Stockdale, while it seems harsh yes I would rest Stockdale.

Which is why I am glad our manager is Chris Hughton and not 'Arkwright'.

I swear Stockdale could throw the ball in his own net and half of NSC would blame the goalframe for not getting out of the way.

Blame for that was so clear cut I'm much more interested in the second because that was what cost us.

This is more complex because Murphy did make the initial error but was surprised he was still on the pitch as he rarely does the full 90, it was odd Hughton only used 1 sub - a "tired" goal was the only one we were going to concede given Preston were so awful and uncreative.

Sadly in the end I would go for Duffy. It was route one crap and a defender has to either win those or pressure the striker enough to not get pinpoint accuracy - Duffy did neither. There are perhaps some keepers who do come far for those but we know Stockdale doesn't have that in his locker, for good or ill because those ventures forward are highly risky

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's highly amusing when you ever dare to post a thread criticizing a player you get labeled a 'hater' and accused of 'not getting behind the team'. Stockdale is clearly a good keeper but is woefully out of form. And yes I acknowledge that there were big errors from other players leading up to both goals yesterday, that doesn't automatically mean Stockdale is blameless. I will still give him my full support if CH decides to pick him on Tuesday, just don't buy all this 'credit in the bank' shite. If we want to finish top 2 we have to be reactive with our team selection and we have the squad to do that. If a striker is not scoring goals you drop him, same should go for a goalkeeper who has conceded some soft goals this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's highly amusing when you ever dare to post a thread criticizing a player you get labeled a 'hater' and accused of 'not getting behind the team'. Stockdale is clearly a good keeper but is woefully out of form. And yes I acknowledge that there were big errors from other players leading up to both goals yesterday, that doesn't automatically mean Stockdale is blameless. I will still give him my full support if CH decides to pick him on Tuesday, just don't buy all this 'credit in the bank' shite. If we want to finish top 2 we have to be reactive with our team selection and we have the squad to do that. If a striker is not scoring goals you drop him, same should go for a goalkeeper who has conceded some soft goals this season.

You have a point, but ruin it by hyperbole. He isn't woefully out of form. The last minute goal at Wednesday was the first goal conceded for a long time. Our defence was at fault yesterday too. Shall we drop Duffy & Bruno too?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You have a point, but ruin it by hyperbole. He isn't woefully out of form. The last minute goal at Wednesday was the first goal conceded for a long time. Our defence was at fault yesterday too. Shall we drop Duffy & Bruno too?

Just because we hadn't conceded for a long time previously doesn't mean Stockdale was playing well. In some of those games he barely had a save to make, the Burton one specifically springs to mind as a clear example, because the defence were so good. The defence were poor for the 1st time in 7/8 games yesterday, so no I don't think they should be dropped.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Imho Stockdale should remain in goal as our first choice 'keeper.

Agree,but perhaps dropping could help in the long run,do we need maenpa or can casper be there for emergency,can't recall walton from luton i am assuming we don't really need 3 keepers..

Positioning and lack of attempt to even move for the 2nd...?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Maybe people get fed up with the abuse Stockdale gets on here, which is massively over the top. We had conceded one goal in five games before yesterday, yet apparently according to people on here he had no part in that yet is at fault for both goals yesterday. Personally, I get really annoyed by it because he's a great keeper who gets a lot more abuse from fans than he deserves. It is sad.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

This comment is an absolute joke. Stockdale gets no credit for anything good but is blamed for everything bad. Whatever you say, Bruno is massively at fault for the first. There was no pressure on him to do that. He could have done anything. Stockdale didn't deal with it but I don't think many keepers would. As for the second, I've seen the replay and it is poor defending and the header is right in the corner.

Do you not see why comments like this make some think there's an anti Stockdale agenda from some posters.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This comment is an absolute joke. Stockdale gets no credit for anything good but is blamed for everything bad. Whatever you say, Bruno is massively at fault for the first. There was no pressure on him to do that. He could have done anything. Stockdale didn't deal with it but I don't think many keepers would. As for the second, I've seen the replay and it is poor defending and the header is right in the corner.

Do you not see why comments like this make some think there's an anti Stockdale agenda from some posters.

It probably stems from the very good defence we have that that on occasion has lapses,yet allows many games pass with Stockers with little or nothing to do,coupled with the fact that Stockdale often seems flat footed (no attempted dives) and the fact that we (for along time) seem have keepers at the club that never seem to play or if they do and do a good job are replaced straight away..

Maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here