Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale poor again

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Stockdale can be forgiven for not hacking it away after a shocking mistake from Bruno, he certainly had built up plenty of credit in the form bank up until then for the last year +

Admired his bravado and confidence with the dummies which proved the mistake didn't affect him, a real sign of a good keeper (despite the fact it could have gone horribly wrong lol).

Yep - was 50/50 mistake. Stockdale tried to chest it and be clever - if he'd hit it first time or used his thigh (softer cushion) we'd have been fine with the dodgy back pass. Would have at least liked him to try for the equaliser - seemed to stand still as it bounced in tamely....

That's indeed what happened but Bruno's did not concede the goal stockdale's mistake did. Blameless for the second that was the fault of the defender allowing the striker such a firm setting to guide the header - couldn't watch the replay was so p'ed off so didn't see if it was Duffy or Dunk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
On a related point, when will they stop watering the fvcking pitch before games when heavy rain is forecast about an hour after the watering. At what point in history did watering the pitch ever help defenders, or anybody else, control the ball? ???

Ask a groundsman and apparently there is a difference between the effect of rain (straight down and drains) and the water angled in from sprinklers (which sits on the blades of grass and gives the pitch its 'zip'). That's why they do it even in the rain.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah because every keeper should be able to chest a ball and clear it in one movement.

Yeah, no one should be expecting that from a keeper.

A Cruyff turn when 1on1 with an attacker in your own box and no covering defenders however?.... that's basics! Especially when executed about 10 mins after the first balls up :facepalm:

I'm not having a dig at Stockdale in general because I'm a big fan of his, after taking a while to be won over from a very shaky start with us. Today was as much about Bruno's mistake with the hospital ball, but if Stockdale isn't comfortable with it, just clear it early and anywhere.

Our defending today reminded me of England's in midweek - so many unforced errors. We were lucky to get away with it because a better team would have punished us for those mistakes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm afraid Stockdale has cost us points again today. I know people will reference our good defensive record prior to today however can't recall him having to make a telling save in that run apart from maybe the Barnsley game. With the big errors in the Reading and Newcastle games and again today should Maenpaa be given a chance?

I have only skimmed NSC so far this evening and noted two idiots, you are a prize one.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's a keeper's lot, isn't it? The mistakes are magnified and get seen to undo the good work of the other 89 minutes.

Stockdale is playing at Championship level because he is not entirely infallible, but regardless, he has been Brighton's saviour on numerous occasions over the past year or so, which surely means he has plenty of credit left in the bank.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ah ha the old scapegoat goalie time

2c43c5c8f41aeba13f293a8206519800.jpg

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's a keeper's lot, isn't it? The mistakes are magnified and get seen to undo the good work of the other 89 minutes.

Stockdale is playing at Championship level because he is not entirely infallible, but regardless, he has been Brighton's saviour on numerous occasions over the past year or so, which surely means he has plenty of credit left in the bank.

They are,and as you and others have righty stated he has been our savior on numerous occasion,some forgivness is called for,Chris can decide if he feels his place is safe next mach and well,let's hope the International break is/has jolted the concentration levels and that we get back on track tuesday.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Should Maenpaa be given a chance?

Don't think CH has ever dropped DS for a league game?

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season with our top two keepers out of contract.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm not really how the Stockdale defenders on this thread can defend that display today tbh. Bruno was playing like we were 4-0 up trying back heels when the Preston lad was on top of him if I was CH both would of got an almighty rollicking.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just stood there and watched the equaliser loop over him

I had the perfect view from ESU....Stockie was at fault IMHO because he started to come for the cross, then changed his mind and was flat footed as the Preston player just guided it over him.
If he had carried on and come for the cross, he would have got to the ball at the same time as the scorer.
Wether that is obvious from the replays I dont know because most camera angles are from the other side.
Myself and everyone around me knew that as soon as Stockie hesitated, it was the equeliser.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I had the perfect view from ESU....Stockie was at fault IMHO because he started to come for the cross, then changed his mind and was flat footed as the Preston player just guided it over him.
If he had carried on and come for the cross, he would have got to the ball at the same time as the scorer.
Wether that is obvious from the replays I dont know because most camera angles are from the other side.
Myself and everyone around me knew that as soon as Stockie hesitated, it was the equeliser.

I had that 'perfect' view from ESU too....and just don't agree....still opinion opinions

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There was a selection of poor things that happened leading to that goal. As we're in a thread discussing Stockdale though his part in it seems worth mentioning :shrug: I may be doing him a bit of a disservice but he seemed to go far too far accross to the near post and made it an easy header. I'll have a look at the highlights when I get in.

:thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Only had to retain possession but even then, Murphy had a simple pass over the head of Murray and the defender marking him into acres of space (Murray was poised to spin) but no, couldn't lift the ball high enough.

Quite right. Why he gave that away so easily God only knows. Poor play at that stage. That is not a top two side for sure playing like that . Making those mistakes. Preston were gash.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Quite right. Why he gave that away so easily God only knows. Poor play at that stage. That is not a top two side for sure playing like that . Making those mistakes. Preston were gash.

Not matter what everyone thinks re who was at fault, I'm sure we are all gutted at losing two points

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Not matter what everyone thinks re who was at fault, I'm sure we are all gutted at losing two points

True, but I'm still trying to understand why people are blaming Stocky for the first goal. Bruno's passback was a catastrophe and there is no way that any of us could clear a ball that comes to you at throat level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here