Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG on his way then....

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I can see O'Grady being another Lambert/Holt/Murray/Daryl Murphy etc, a late bloomer who ends up becoming brilliant at around 30ish. He has looked great in the last few games, exactly the sort of player we've been missing. Really hope he stays.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I almost feel Tony should keep his powder dry this window. I'm feeling like with Hughton at the helm, this squad will be safely steered out of trouble. No rush expensive singings.

Lets keep whatever money is available earning interest for some proper squad building in the summer. Let Hughton really identify what he needs to go for it next season. There is little value in January unless we are fortunate enough to scout another Ulloa from somewhere.
All that makes sense, except when FFP sticks its oar in. It might be that we have more money to spend at the moment than we'll have in the summer.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All that makes sense, except when FFP sticks its oar in. It might be that we have more money to spend at the moment than we'll have in the summer.

Conversely as FFP conditions have been loosened in the recent Football League vote, you could argue that from the summer we'd have potentially more to spend than in previous windows. (assuming Bloom wants to cough up that is).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I almost feel Tony should keep his powder dry this window. I'm feeling like with Hughton at the helm, this squad will be safely steered out of trouble. No rush expensive singings.

Lets keep whatever money is available earning interest for some proper squad building in the summer. Let Hughton really identify what he needs to go for it next season. There is little value in January unless we are fortunate enough to scout another Ulloa from somewhere.

If Chris O'Grady's form continues to improve, then I think that has such a positive impact on our style of play, the likes of Baldock, March, Tex and Colunga will all start finding the net more regularly because we will be holding the ball up and support joins in.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season now. May still be a bit rocky, but feeling nicely confident.
A decent striker signed now, and a surge up the table will give hope for next season and increased ST renewals I reckon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm torn on O'Grady. Undeniably he has been good for the past 2 games with his welcome physicality but his movement isn't great and I think he is looking better because of the large amount of dross we have had up front this season. If the long term aim is promotion, is O'Grady (and for that matter Calderon on the right and Baldock on the left) the answer? Tell will tell but at the moment he's no Ulloa, Murray or even a Barnes- I hope he improves past at least one of those and we keep him till at least the end of the season to find out.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
FWIW, quick chat while signing program :

Me : happy birthday COG, you're not going anywhere in Jan are you ?

COG : thanks, No - been told i'm not going anywhere

plus that goal would have added 200k to any asking price

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm torn on O'Grady. Undeniably he has been good for the past 2 games with his welcome physicality but his movement isn't great and I think he is looking better because of the large amount of dross we have had up front this season. If the long term aim is promotion, is O'Grady (and for that matter Calderon on the right and Baldock on the left) the answer? Tell will tell but at the moment he's no Ulloa, Murray or even a Barnes- I hope he improves past at least one of those and we keep him till at least the end of the season to find out.

Wise words indeed, If Hughton genuinely feels Ogrady is good enough to get us up then keeping him is the right move

If not then we should get rid in this window or over the summer at least. He clearly is not an option from the bench he needs to be playing football to look anything like half decent.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
FWIW, quick chat while signing program :

Me : happy birthday COG, you're not going anywhere in Jan are you ?

COG : thanks, No - been told i'm not going anywhere

plus that goal would have added 200k to any asking price

Not worth a lot Wardy apparently, a mate was at Withdean gym at the same time as Murray the very evening before he signed for Palace, the inevitable question about staying was asked and Murray made all the right noises and the very next day...
Not saying that'll be COG, but we all know what players say.

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
We'd be silly to get rid of COG this window. CMS contract is up in the summer. Leon Best is on loan. That means we will be 2 forwards down at the end of the season. As we seem to be rubbish at getting forwards in, it would be better to make sure we have COG as a (decent) option incase we have any other issues this close season.

O'Grady was never an out and out Ulloa replacement, but he stills gets beaten with that brush. It's nice to have a forward option that can hold the ball up. CMS and even the magic Ulloa both liked going to their knees instead of chest controlling the hoofed ball up to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. CMS and even the magic Ulloa both liked going to their knees instead of chest controlling the hoofed ball up to them.

You make a good point, for all Ulloa's prowess in front of goal, his falling over under the lightest challenge irritated the hell out of me. I am loving seeing a Brighton forward willing to fight for the ball and having the strength not to be bullied off the ball or fall down complaining as both Ulloa and CMS do rather than actually compete.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You make a good point, for all Ulloa's prowess in front of goal, his falling over under the lightest challenge irritated the hell out of me. I am loving seeing a Brighton forward willing to fight for the ball and having the strength not to be bullied off the ball or fall down complaining as both Ulloa and CMS do rather than actually compete.

This post reminded me of something I noticed at the Ipswich game. Tex showed incredible strength at times (yes, tex) refusing to go down when under some strong challenges. Arguably, the 2nd goal was one where we might have been looking for a free kick in the not so recent past.

I know Calderon did the Tom Daley thing on Sunday but I wonder if the days of Ulloa, Lua Lua and Barnes falling over as if shot whilst waving hands in the air are no longer in fashion?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's the key. Along with the fact that surely we have a better chance of moving upwards the longer we can keep a settled squad that isn't interrupted by the arrival of disinterested loan signings. Honestly, you say O'Grady isn't Barnes and you're probably right - but Barnes got better and better the longer he stayed. I think O'Grady has similar attributes - strong, not the quickest but knows where the goal is, and most importantly the desire to stay and fight for his place and give it his best.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
10:51

Wise words indeed, If Hughton genuinely feels Ogrady is good enough to get us up then keeping him is the right move

If not then we should get rid in this window or over the summer at least. He clearly is not an option from the bench he needs to be playing football to look anything like half decent.

To get promoted you need a strong and varied squad. I couldn't see COG being our 1st choice striker to go up, but as a member of a 24 man squad, to provide something different and make an impact in games, he's very useful.

The same applies to a number of players, but we're still weak in many areas compared to the level of ability I'd expect to see in a promoted team.

Keeper
Stockdale / Walton - happy with these 2 in the Championship

Right Back
Calderon is no longer good enough (mainly pace) to be first choice.
Bruno - I'm my opinion a better all-round player, and has the skill / flair to spark play at times - still not pacey enough to cope against the best teams. I'd (sadly) let Calde go to a coaching position, retain Bruno and get in a quicker player in their mid 20s.

Central Defence
Greer is on his last legs, and is getting slower and slower. I'd let him go, and get a decent younger replacement.
Dunk is easily good enough for a team vying for promotion, and (were he ours)
Halford looks a good player to have in the squad.
Hughes seems to get very little game time, but if he's happy I'd keep him for now as one of a first choice 4 (at least until Rae is ready).

Left Back
Bennett is ok, but not a great defender. He's not ours, so I'd imagine the situation will be resolved one way or other at the end of the season.
Chicksen - hhmmm… lots of pace, but seems very naïve - needs time to develop, and if he doesn't it may be over for him.
I'd look to bring in a more traditional left back - the key criteria being solid defensively and pacey enough to keep up with some of the quicker teams in the division.

Defensive Midfield - With the arrival of Kayal we have cover here. Ince can play there as well, as could Holla.

Attacking Midfield - We have a few candidates for this role - Tex can play here, as can Lua Lua, JFC and March (If we insist on playing strikers wide). Stephens and Crofts - do they fit in here?

We do lack a creative spark in midfield at times - something Teixeira can look world class, but we do need more creative options - I'd look to bring in another player in this mould - such as Bennett (E)

I'd get rid of Agustien & McCourt to make space in the squad. We'll have to wait and see whether Crofts returns as we remember him.

Strikers / Wide Men

We have Baldock / Colunga / COG / CMS & Best as strikers.

CMS is past it sadly, and we need to try and get a fee this window if possible. COG and Best are similar from what I can see- with Best having more higher division experience. Baldock has started to show his ability recently, so we need to hope he carries on improving. Colunga is ok as a squad player. We need depth here - all the teams that push for promotion have strong / different options up front from the bench.

So,

Keeper - ok
Defence - new CB, new LB, new RB - let Greer go, Calde to coaching role.
Midfield - attacking midfielder needed - get rid of Kemy and Paddy
Attack - We need 1 more striker - in the CMS mold, but much better.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That's the key. Along with the fact that surely we have a better chance of moving upwards the longer we can keep a settled squad that isn't interrupted by the arrival of disinterested loan signings. Honestly, you say O'Grady isn't Barnes and you're probably right - but Barnes got better and better the longer he stayed. I think O'Grady has similar attributes - strong, not the quickest but knows where the goal is, and most importantly the desire to stay and fight for his place and give it his best.

I think O'Grady can improve or at least wants to stay and fight. Given some of the attitudes on display in the earlier part of the season from the squad, he's worth keeping for now for that alone. I just question if ultimately he is good enough for a top six / two side (That said, who of our current lot are?). If I had to make a judgement now, I'd say he isn't but I hope I am wrong and can see him getting better.

Leon Best looked alright when he came on against Ipswich but considering it was debut I thought he wasn't exactly bursting a blood vessel. Time will tell but initial impressions but him in 'Do I have to run for that? category.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
All very interesting Papa. But get back to your snow charts ...........

:lolol: COG needs to play games is my point, having him off the bench as an option just wont work for me or him, he needs to play to remain decent not 20 mins here and there, this will inevitably lead to a player missing the north again...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This post reminded me of something I noticed at the Ipswich game. Tex showed incredible strength at times (yes, tex) refusing to go down when under some strong challenges. Arguably, the 2nd goal was one where we might have been looking for a free kick in the not so recent past.

I know Calderon did the Tom Daley thing on Sunday but I wonder if the days of Ulloa, Lua Lua and Barnes falling over as if shot whilst waving hands in the air are no longer in fashion?

Tbh the best player at collapsing like a pack of cards to gain advantage was...Muzza.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
10:51

To get promoted you need a strong and varied squad. I couldn't see COG being our 1st choice striker to go up, but as a member of a 24 man squad, to provide something different and make an impact in games, he's very useful.

The same applies to a number of players, but we're still weak in many areas compared to the level of ability I'd expect to see in a promoted team.

Keeper
Stockdale / Walton - happy with these 2 in the Championship

Right Back
Calderon is no longer good enough (mainly pace) to be first choice.
Bruno - I'm my opinion a better all-round player, and has the skill / flair to spark play at times - still not pacey enough to cope against the best teams. I'd (sadly) let Calde go to a coaching position, retain Bruno and get in a quicker player in their mid 20s.

Central Defence
Greer is on his last legs, and is getting slower and slower. I'd let him go, and get a decent younger replacement.
Dunk is easily good enough for a team vying for promotion, and (were he ours)
Halford looks a good player to have in the squad.
Hughes seems to get very little game time, but if he's happy I'd keep him for now as one of a first choice 4 (at least until Rae is ready).

Left Back
Bennett is ok, but not a great defender. He's not ours, so I'd imagine the situation will be resolved one way or other at the end of the season.
Chicksen - hhmmm… lots of pace, but seems very naïve - needs time to develop, and if he doesn't it may be over for him.
I'd look to bring in a more traditional left back - the key criteria being solid defensively and pacey enough to keep up with some of the quicker teams in the division.

Defensive Midfield - With the arrival of Kayal we have cover here. Ince can play there as well, as could Holla.

Attacking Midfield - We have a few candidates for this role - Tex can play here, as can Lua Lua, JFC and March (If we insist on playing strikers wide). Stephens and Crofts - do they fit in here?

We do lack a creative spark in midfield at times - something Teixeira can look world class, but we do need more creative options - I'd look to bring in another player in this mould - such as Bennett (E)

I'd get rid of Agustien & McCourt to make space in the squad. We'll have to wait and see whether Crofts returns as we remember him.

Strikers / Wide Men

We have Baldock / Colunga / COG / CMS & Best as strikers.

CMS is past it sadly, and we need to try and get a fee this window if possible. COG and Best are similar from what I can see- with Best having more higher division experience. Baldock has started to show his ability recently, so we need to hope he carries on improving. Colunga is ok as a squad player. We need depth here - all the teams that push for promotion have strong / different options up front from the bench.

So,

Keeper - ok
Defence - new CB, new LB, new RB - let Greer go, Calde to coaching role.
Midfield - attacking midfielder needed - get rid of Kemy and Paddy
Attack - We need 1 more striker - in the CMS mold, but much better.

I agree with most of this. Although:
-- you've pretty much forgotten KLL (especially in the strikers/widemen category), which makes things look better
-- you probably meant it, but CMS needs to be moved on, which will probably happen in the summer; I like COG, but if his point is that he only wants to stay if he gets regular game-time, I'm not so sure. If his form merits inclusion, then so be it, but if his scoring rate is low, he doesn't deserve to play -- and this is my greatest concern about him, he doesn't seem to have a goalscorer's positional sense and sometimes even desire
-- despite agreeing about defensive vulnerabilities, I think we should sign Bennett if we could, and get (ex-left back) Hughton working on his defending
-- Greer does get exposed for his lack of pace and slowness on the turn, but we might get another season out of him

What we really need is (but whether that's now, or in the summer):
-- a goalscoring strong, quick centre forward
-- a creative spark to replace Tex, unless March really steps up
-- two full-backs (one of which should be Bennett in my book), and probably a centre-back to replace Hughes, with the expectancy that we sign Halford permanently in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here