Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statements today an insult to fans' intelligence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I find it staggering that fans who once had a bit about them are how happy to be treated like such mugs.

who's a mug? im certainly curious, but the tone of your post suggests there *must* be a real reason that is being hidden. its angry, grieving responce to a loss: you basically want someone to blame. my point is only that as we dont know the "real reason", we dont know that there is someone to blame. could just be it wasnt working out.

and frankly from an awful lot of fans thats been the feeling for a long time. maybe thats the reason?

me, im just in quiet mourning, the club goes on.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who else's opinion am I going to give? Just out of interest, what exactly would the club have to do for you to ever criticise them? Change name to the Brighton Eagles? Or would you find a way of rationalising that as well?

You stated that the clubs announcements today were an insult to our intelligence, when you could, perhaps should, have written that you felt that the clubs statements today were an insult.

As for what I would 'need' to criticise them well, as usual, if facts are presented that I don't agree with, then I'll criticise them, and have done many, many times in the past, but I won't lay into them on the basis of speculation, thinly veiled witch hunting and the musings of people with either an agenda or some sort of anti club paranoia.

With the vitriol being spouted on this board this evening It makes you wonder if some people have ever heard the name Archer or Bellotti around these parts. Though I guess there were only 3 or 4 thousand of us back in those days whereas there are an additional 20 thousand now. Build a bonfire, Bloom out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No different to any changes of top management who leave plcs either for different challenges or to spend more time with the family.

I think the telling comment from OG was made earlier and now in hindsight is a clear signpost, when he said on camera that the Albion were the only team in the Championship to get weaker after the transfer window.

Managers will always come and go, but what is needed now is an early appointment so that we do not fall behind others on transfer targets and a period of stability otherwise we will fall into the cycle of a new manager every season (or less) which achieves little.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am getting sick and tired of the Albion's total disregard, almost disdain and contempt for the fans over yet another huge development today.

If you look at the statements of Garcia, Bloom and Barber today they say absolutely nothing about the extent of and real reasons for the disagreement, and why it couldn't be overcome. Instead there are only woolly references from Garcia to budgets of other clubs, and nothing from our board members.

This is simply not good enough after last year, these are not small ripples, they are huge waves at the club.

We are talking about 30,000 fans who the club say they care about. Yet whenever there are tough statements to be made and truth to be aired they bottle it time and time again.

It doesn't matter whose ego gets bruised, who it offends, whose incompetence or methods might be exposed, the club owe a full explanation to fans of precisely why a second manager has gone in 12 months after another play-off campaign.

Anything less is an embarrassing insult to the intelligence of the supporters.

Just because you're upset there's no reason to assume that the vast majority of the 30,000 sensible fans share your hysteria.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, its awful, lets start acting like Mike Ashley at Newcastle or Vincent Tan at Cardiff and start throwing accusations about and spilling our guts everywhere and become a joke club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally agree with the OP. They might have gotten away with it had we not had the Gus debacle, but a carbon copy of the events of last year necessarily means they have to put out their own statement. The club's reaction is poor.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
who's a mug? im certainly curious, but the tone of your post suggests there *must* be a real reason that is being hidden. its angry, grieving responce to a loss: you basically want someone to blame. my point is only that as we dont know the "real reason", we dont know that some is to blame.

And I am saying to you that not being told the real reason (and there obviously is one), for the second time in 12 months, is a piss-take out of people who fork out so much money to follow the club. Blame? There may be, there may not be. Sometimes things just 'happen'. But in the first instance it is whether fans deserve to know the truth behind Garcia's offer of resignation and its acceptance on this one.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But in the first instance it is whether fans deserve to know the truth behind Garcia's offer of resignation and its acceptance on this one.

He wanted more money spent on the squad, he didn't get what he thought was a fair amount, he quit.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Id rather private/personal issues remain private myself. We dont have a divine right to know everything and that happens with pretty much everything in life.

You should know this after last Summer, we dont open up on private issues and rightly so, unlike some other clubs.

Victorian Dad!?

Pixelated Penguin

Jul 5, 2011
How can managers/fans moan about the lack of player budget when Burnley got to the premier league spending just 450k? It's to do more with the right signings rather than the amount of money you have spend.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
This.
People seem to forget that this years 6th position is, what the joint second highest placed finish since we were relegated from the old First Division. It can't be all bad!!
I am not about to go nuclear on Bloom given what he has put into the club. All the suits below him report to him.
Yes I am saddened by Oscar's departure, and infuriated by the inept display yesterday, and I wish we could spend the money that QPR, Forest et al are wasting at the moment. But we are in a good place from an infrastructure perspective, and despite the budgetary restrictions, we will attract a top manager, let's hope we employ one.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Agree completely with the OP
I think supporters were lied to and misled so many times in the not so distant past that supporters have rightly become suspicious and statements containing bland, meaningless platitudes like those issued today do not go down well. We cannot expect blow-by-blow accounts of what went on but I feel we should be given some reasons for today's events, particularly since it appears that Oscar's departure had been on the cards for some time. How about a bit of honesty, Mr Barber? Or are you Bellotti in disguise?

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I don't think anyone's looking for blow by blow descriptions. You only get those in Dutch movies with dodgy jazz soundtracks.

However we are not looking for corporate bullshit whitewash either. The fans of this club distrust it for some reason......

Some fans, a vociferous minority who appear to live their lives like an episode of Eastenders.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You stated that the clubs announcements today were an insult to our intelligence, when you could, perhaps should, have written that you felt that the clubs statements today were an insult.

As for what I would 'need' to criticise them well, as usual, if facts are presented that I don't agree with, then I'll criticise them, and have done many, many times in the past, but I won't lay into them on the basis of speculation, thinly veiled witch hunting and the musings of people with either an agenda or some sort of anti club paranoia.

With the vitriol being spouted on this board this evening It makes you wonder if some people have ever heard the name Archer or Bellotti around these parts. Though I guess there were only 3 or 4 thousand of us back in those days whereas there are an additional 20 thousand now. Build a bonfire, Bloom out.

If all else fails, forget Barber and his 'Premier League Ready' and hark on about Goldstone/Gillingham/Withdean/Archer/Bellotti. Archer and Bellotti may have a lot to answer for. But as far as I am aware they were not involved in meetings with Poyet or Garcia.

PS You weren't the only one at Gillingham.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I find it staggering that fans who once had a bit about them are how happy to be treated like such mugs.

I find it staggering that you think a professional football club would give anything other than the sort of statement they gave. I mean, what were you expecting - "Oscar has simply had enough of working with David Burke, isn't happy with the budget he's been given, had a first taste of next year's pies and spat it out and hated our new strip therefore we are glad to see the back of him and look forward to welcoming a new manager to work under the same conditions soon."
It's unrealistic, unprofessional and undignified. If they can't, for obvious reasons, tell the truth then a dignified "silence" is far better.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
who's a mug? im certainly curious, but the tone of your post suggests there *must* be a real reason that is being hidden. its angry, grieving responce to a loss: you basically want someone to blame. my point is only that as we dont know the "real reason", we dont know that there is someone to blame. could just be it wasnt working out.

and frankly from an awful lot of fans thats been the feeling for a long time. maybe thats the reason?

I think I'm in the same boat. Obviously if we HAD got to the promised land, Oscar would have stayed on. I think he and the club just realised he wasn't the guy to take us there given our relatively modest resources. There may have been some personal issues, and perhaps the prospect of a decent job back in Spain, who knows. We don't have to know the details.

Lots on here seem to think this is an indication that the club lacks ambition....I don't think so. And I'm sure TB will provide us with a reassuring communication in the fullness of time, just like he did last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here