Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes Nicholas Soames has it wrong. Churchill would have been a rabid UKIP supporter
Crikey. There's no grey with you. It's sodding black and effing white all the way.

He died 50 years ago. 40 years ago the Tories were solidly pro-EEC (back when it was just a trading block) and Labour were anti. The French didn't want us in either. So much has changed since then that even the Europe of the 70s is completely different to Europe of now, let alone when Churchill was alive. It's impossible and frankly silly to say how he would have voted.

And what's with the rabid UKIP comment? Do you think that every one who voted Brexit is a hard line UKIP voter? I'm guessing it's just more hyperbole but I'm taking nothing for granted from someone quoting the Daily Express.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The further down the line we are the more information will be available. The facts needed for an informed judgement will gradually increase. I agree with you though that the timing will be tight and my own prediction is that the Brexiteers will succeed their aim of getting out before voters have a chance to pass further judgement. (The EU could I suppose upset that applecart by pledging to allow the UK to reverse its departure at any time up to the end of the transition period but that's another story.)

You are right too in saying that my underlying reason for wanting a second vote is that people might, in different circumstances, make a different choice. But it is not the only reason. If there was a second referendum and the people, armed with far more information, voted again to come out then it would at least help to clear the air. It would also be an exercise in good democracy in its own right.

Incidentally, I like your implication that any "considered, informed judgement... would only be possible" once the negotiations were concluded. That's my point really.

Fair enough .. your point is the more time that passes the more information we have in assessing the true Brexit reality (rather than claims from both sides) it shirley follows the next GE scheduled for 2022 would give the electorate a much more informed choice. This also has the advantage of not dumbing down complicated issues to a yes no question in a referendum which you so abhor.

Your reasoning is as transparent as ever, ignore the first result and the general election and hope for third time lucky. The air is already clear for all true democrats. If you can't accept the referendum result in 2016 or the General election result in 2017 I doubt losing a third time in 2018/19 would cause you all to melt away. More likely continue to resemble the Europhile version of Farage/UKIP, banging on relentlesslly ... which is your democratic right obviously.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
OK, I'll ditch my plans for another VAG purchase. You're in the West Midlands so can I ask you again to recommend a family car from a British company?

Quite why you keep harping on about a British company I don't know.When was the last time you purchased any major British product?You are probably allergic to anything Made in Britain.There are many British built cars,with engines made in this country in Coleshill,Wolverhampton,Deeside etc.(Thought I'd better include something about where the engines are made,as some of your fellow-travellers seem to think British manufacture had all moved in 2016).My personal favourite is the Toyota Auris hybrid owned by a friend-very smooth,economical,and much cleaner running than the german smoke generators.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We have discussed your inability to grasp and comprehend simple English before. You were talking about predictions. Look this word up in the dictionary and then explain to me how my quoted post, which is commentary, is a prediction.

Eh, so you are saying you didnt predict it but inaccurately reported it as fact and therefore it vindicates your post, I think you have been hanging around with [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] far too long.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well I was going to recommend Renault's 2018 F1 car to LImp but any clown will do,even an echo.

ren.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh, so you are saying you didnt predict it but inaccurately reported it as fact and therefore it vindicates your post, I think you have been hanging around with [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] far too long.

Where is my post then? I will re-read it in full, and in context, and investigate.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Fair enough .. your point is the more time that passes the more information we have in assessing the true Brexit reality (rather than claims from both sides) it shirley follows the next GE scheduled for 2022 would give the electorate a much more informed choice. This also has the advantage of not dumbing down complicated issues to a yes no question in a referendum which you so abhor.

Your reasoning is as transparent as ever, ignore the first result and the general election and hope for third time lucky. The air is already clear for all true democrats. If you can't accept the referendum result in 2016 or the General election result in 2017 I doubt losing a third time in 2018/19 would cause you all to melt away. More likely continue to resemble the Europhile version of Farage/UKIP, banging on relentlesslly ... which is your democratic right obviously.

Well of course you're right in suggesting that the only way to be certain about something is to wait until after it has happened. England's history would have been a bit different if past leaders had adopted that approach I suppose.

But I'm still pleased that we agree that "considered, informed judgement... would only be possible" once the negotiations were concluded.

What reasonable people us Albion types are.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"I'm pretty sure that a bloke who's been dead 50 years would have voted a specific way in a referendum 2 years ago and I'll cite a speech he made 70 years ago as proof."

Convinced me!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Britain’s employment rate has surged unexpectedly to a record high, quashing recent fears that the market boom might be coming to an end.

The Office for National Statistics said that the number of people in work rose by 102,000 people in the three months to November, taking total employment to a record 32.2 million. Economists had predicted a fall of 12,000 for the period. The employment rate now stands at 75.3 per cent, the joint highest level since records began in 1971.

In other news the Pound is still climbing, 1. 42 ... no wonder the gloomerati are getting desperate/ back to scaring cancer patients. :rolleyes:

Economists predictions though :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well of course you're right in suggesting that the only way to be certain about something is to wait until after it has happened. England's history would have been a bit different if past leaders had adopted that approach I suppose.

But I'm still pleased that we agree that "considered, informed judgement... would only be possible" once the negotiations were concluded.

What reasonable people us Albion types are.

5th of May 2022 it is then, glad we agree. :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People like you are lower than a snake's belly.Attempting to scare people about life-saving drug avaliability makes me hope you are a scum troll.If you are not a troll,please tell us which drugs in particular are not manufactured outside of the EU.

I'm not the one who said it. Direct your anger at Jeremy Hunt. And he ought to know, what with being the Health Secretary.

And if you can't handle the truth that Brexit means leaving the European Medicines Agency and the impact that will have on drugs available on the NHS for all illnesses, perhaps you should have thought about that earlier rather than shooting the messenger? And I haven't even mentioned the impact leaving Euratom has on transporting radioactive material for chemotherapy has (clue - it stops it and we can't have it anymore).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here