Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is to blame for the mess we are in....

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Sadly the writing has been on the wall for months. But I'm afraid the Board simply don't get it - they'll spin things every way they can.

They should credit the supporters with more nous and learn from this sorry saga - you can't fool us. Take responsibility, listen and learn. Recent Argus interviews, BBC Sussex interviews, supporter meetings - all totally off beam and hollow, not connected with what the 'customers' perceive/feel.

Sort it out - from top to bottom, on and off the pitch - and the Board might be surprised at the support they receive. Get real, it's not all about the corporates.

The Board inherited an incredible legacy - and with that came a responsibility and a healthy and sincere respect for the supporters. Each and every Board member would do well to not forget that.

If I was TB, I'd be addressing how to get the fans back on side - and it isn't just about Sami and his inevitable departure.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Two things, firstly re. Paul Barber, secondly re. Sami Hyypia:

I must say I'd like to know what Paul Barber offered as Chief Executive that Gordon Smith wouldn't have done (if, as claimed on here, Smith did go for the job), as someone who had done a very good job at the Scottish FA, and an Albion man as well. While I fully accept that Poyet basically talked himself out of a job here (and clearly we were below his expectations by the time he told Bloom he wanted to leave), surely Bloom must have known there was a history between him and Barber at Spurs, even if it was Ramos who got the boot. Whatever, it's done a good deal of long-term damage. I remember thinking at the time that Poyet was a highly risky appointment and that his ambitions must have been to be a Premiership manager, which makes me wonder why Bloom appointed him. He would have had far less trouble with Nigel Adkins, even if we would never have got near challenging for the Premiership.

As others have said, we are mostly very grateful for TB's financial contribution. That does not exclude him from criticism, though. Many businessmen have built up a company and then been kicked out - see George Davis of Next for example. Not that I'm saying Bloom should go at all, just that he has made a massive mistake with Hyypia's appointment. Surely if you have the best man for the job and he wants to run things his way (e.g. Sherwood wanting to bring Ferdinand and Ramsey, who may have been excellent coaches), you work out the best way round it, rather than sticking stubbornly to your way, i.e. the recruitment set-up. Feel free to disagree with me - this is a discussion forum after all, but while I don't think Continental football is the problem, after all it went okay under Poyet and may have done so better under Garcia with a fully fit squad, I just don't think the Continental set-up in other areas is suited to the English game - our managers are not used to it and don't want to work with it.

this is my post of the week ......................and its Sunday

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sadly the writing has been on the wall for months. But I'm afraid the Board simply don't get it - they'll spin things every way they can.

They should credit the supporters with more nous and learn from this sorry saga - you can't fool us. Take responsibility, listen and learn. Recent Argus interviews, BBC Sussex interviews, supporter meetings - all totally off beam and hollow, not connected with what the 'customers' perceive/feel.

Sort it out - from top to bottom, on and off the pitch - and the Board might be surprised at the support they receive. Get real, it's not all about the corporates.

The Board inherited an incredible legacy - and with that came a responsibility and a healthy and sincere respect for the supporters. Each and every Board member would do well to not forget that.

If I was TB, I'd be addressing how to get the fans back on side - and it isn't just about Sami and his inevitable departure.

Wow :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's sincere. I have PayPal. I just need an address.
And a lot of other people to do the same thing.
Because it's the right thing.
Ok, you've got me. Either the 7th December is a new cyber April fools day, and I'm the last to know, or this is an internet version of candid camera, you're all in on it and watching me go mad while eating noodles in front on my PC. I give up guys, you win. Who put you up to this?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Yesterday was dreadful, the season overall has been a bit crap, but that's always been the way with the Albion.

Bang on EP

After following BHA off and on for 45 years, with a good promotion season in League 1, and 2 1/2 good seasons in the Championship at The Amex, there was really only going to be one outcome this season, and so it seems to be happening. I hope the new broom in January will get us out of the mire, away from trouble, and then set up for a better tilt 15/16...

(I might even re-activate my ST if this happens! Bad Fan :lolol: )

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Re: Barber and Hyypia.
Good post - just a couple of caveats.

1). Why wouldn't Adkins have got us to the Premier League? - he succeeded with Southampton (and he didn't throw his toys out of the pram or bugger off).

2). This -
Feel free to disagree with me - this is a discussion forum after all, but while I don't think Continental football is the problem, after all it went okay under Poyet and may have done so better under Garcia with a fully fit squad, I just don't think the Continental set-up in other areas is suited to the English game - our managers are not used to it and don't want to work with it.
Wasn't working under the continental system pretty much what DID p1ss off Poyet and OG?

Oct 11, 2005
London

Well said! I completely agree.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
They are idiotic because they all read to me as if people are assuming Bloom is an idiot which, manifestly, he is not. This is how I read the situation. First appointment he made as club chairman was absolutely spot on; he took a chance with an unproven manager and it worked out probably beyond his best expectations, other than the falling out at the end. The second appointment was a success, although it did not look to be such a great success due to comparisons with what had gone before. He has now had to make a third appointment in 18 months, unusual for a successful club. This one has not worked out well, no-one can deny that. I would imagine he is giving serious consideration as to what the best step to take next is. Add to that his reputation as a gambler (how many times has he won with a worse hand, I wonder). These in my mind are the reasons for the delay in any managerial change. I doubt very much if it has anything to do with Bloom being too proud to admit he has made a mistake.

And, other than it is, in fairness, his own money by and large that he is gambling with, nothing to do with what he has invested in the club.

That ok?

This is just conspiracy theory nonsense though. Whilst I think Hyppia has done nothing to keep himself in a job, the nudge nudge ramblings that Bloom is somehow picking the squad, team and tactics completely diminishes your argument.

As for doing no wrong, who on earth has said that?

Poyet and Garcia were not experienced managers, yet that didn't stop them doing well at the helm at the club. Adams and Slade were both experienced, yet both lasted less than a season in charge when last here.
Mmmm. So why then did Poyet want out, and then 12 months later Garica walked out? Hardly seems the actions of happy managers in one of the most sort after jobs outside the premiership? Watching the styles over the past three managers, it is clear we are playing more a club style than the managers style. Didn't Herpes say when he was appointed, that he will try a style, and it he doesn't work he'll look at the players available to him, and play a style that suits them. I even remember starting a thread how if true, he could be the one! Now its the same old shit, and sticking to the same system! Anyone with half a football will tell you, you will under achive by playing a style of football with players that are not good enough to play it. That's where we are at the moment, and dare I say it last season. We are trying to play a premiership style, with Championship players. Bloom said we had a squad capable of the play offs last season, and I agree with him, yet we just scraped in. THis season, I think the squad player for player, apart from losing Leo, is as strong as last season. We are bottom three and nothing is changing.

IF Bloom sacks Sami, and I don't think he can without playing a huge pay off/silence money, we will either employ another foreign no body and things will continue as they are, or Bloom will finally accept defeat and employ an old school manager, and let them manage the side how they see fit, and pick a formation that they see fit.

There's not much point in playing a premiership system, from the first team down to the under 10s, if we are closer to non league football then the premiership. Tony Bloom needs to reevaluate the set up at the club, and accept we are underachiving and sort it out, before we get to the point of no return, and I don't mean relegation, I mean the crowds that have paid this season and staying away, stay away next season without paying. IMO we are on the edge of a big fall that will take years to recover from, and the only man who can stop it is TOny Bloom. So yes, I lay the blame for the current situation 100% on the chairman, and only the chairman can sort it out, and the sooner twats on here stopped whining about Burke and Barber, and look at the real puppet master, the better.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Spot on.

& apart from the Oscar slagging all we've really heard so far is "judge us at the end of the (September) transfer window" & "this is a top six squad"...
If Tony BLoom truely believes he has spent money and built a top six squad, then why the hell is Sami still here? I'm all for giving a manager a chance, but Sami should have gone in October IMO. The longer we fall, the harder the landing will be.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yes it is ultimately his fault, I cannot deny that but..........

........what the f**k do you want from him? Do you just want your pound of flesh out of Tony Bloom after all he's done? Do you want him put in stocks to publicly humiliate himself - will that make you feel better? (that goes for every other selfish pr*ck on this board digging out Bloom :tosser:)

Our options are Bloom or nothing, the bloke is irreplacable so why abuse him like this? I'm sure he's hurting about all this right now, he doesn't need the fans abusing him. Bloom is the one person we should all be backing, regardless of his mistakes. We NEED him here for the long term
It was clear to most people Tony Bloom made a mistake in hiring Sami a couple of months ago. He is getting a lot of criticism, and rightly so, because he will not stand up and change things. Digging deeper, there could be very good reasons why Sami hasn't been dispatched yet, but its a hole that the club, lead by BLoom, and dug itselfs over the years, and deserves criticism.

After all, they still haven't said why Poyet and Garica walked away from the "most sort after job outside the premiership"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tony Bloom is to blame for the mess we are in , lovely stadium , playing in the championship, massive supporting infrastructure. Without him ruining everything we could still be enjoying Withdean in Div 4, happy days. What planet are you on ? How many other clubs have a wealthy fan prepared to invest so much. He appears to have been pretty successful in running his businesses and I would guess is even less keen on an empty Amex than you. Tony will sort it out.

Agree....4 or so bad months doesn't undo all the positives, but time has come for him to realise the mistake of appointing SH and do something about it. Fully expect him to do so - he cares deeply and has too much at stake.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Mmmm. So why then did Poyet want out, and then 12 months later Garica walked out?

Poyet - pride and ambition, I would imagine. Nothing wrong with either. He did as well for the club as he possibly could and the stuff said about him by some of the posters on here makes me sick.
Garcia - concern over his health, maybe, given later events.

The point I was making was that Bloom has probably been forced into making the most business critical decision a football club chairman can make three times in 18 months. I would imagine he is sufficiently self-aware to want to understand why and do his utmost to make sure that the next decision is the right one.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Since OG walked out Tony Bloom's performance has been appalling and almost arrogant. I simply cannot believe that we are realistically looking at Hyypia staying for the next game. Get rid of him NOW before it is too late. I realise the money he has put in but how can he possibly let things go like this on the field. It is exasperating and his lack of action means that he is the one responsible.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
After all, they still haven't said why Poyet and Garica walked away from the "most sort after job outside the premiership"

1: Poyet was dismissed, he didn't walk away.

2: Even if he did "walk" then surely that's between Poyet and Tony Bloom, rather than a bunch of nosey people on the Internet. As a fan your right is to watch the football, not to be given chapter and verse on the inner workings of the business.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
All that we can hope for is some creative spending activity in the January transfer window. I don't anticipate the strategy to change markedly. If we don't get out of this rut then its Crawley here we come.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Poyet - pride and ambition, I would imagine. Nothing wrong with either. He did as well for the club as he possibly could and the stuff said about him by some of the posters on here makes me sick.
Garcia - concern over his health, maybe, given later events.

The point I was making was that Bloom has probably been forced into making the most business critical decision a football club chairman can make three times in 18 months. I would imagine he is sufficiently self-aware to want to understand why and do his utmost to make sure that the next decision is the right one.
Oh come on, live in the real ****ing world. It was a breakdown between Poyet and Bloom that kicked all this off, and it tales two to tango.

If you are seriously suggesting Oscar walked out of Brighton and into Israel over concern for his health, then I sit you in a corner with a dunces hat on!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only thing that Tony can really be 'blamed' for is sticking with Sami too long.

I simply cannot imagine why Hyypia hasn't been given the boot weeks ago. Somehow the barnacle clings on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here