Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
None of this would of made it to a discussion level if the North Stand had been designed to seat a larger amount of supporters.

Most of this 'safe standing' has come from people thinking it would create a better atmosphere and pack in more supporters. Its all total ****ing Twaddle.
Even if Albion did change to 'safe standing'. it would only be a 1 to 1. and it would not go down well with people who want to stay and sit where they are. (bye bye nice padded seat, grandpa) Hello shitty metal frame seats.

And who will be paying for these alterations. Us of course, it'll be loaded onto the ticket prices.!

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
None of this would of made it to a discussion level if the North Stand had been designed to seat a larger amount of supporters.

Most of this 'safe standing' has come from people thinking it would create a better atmosphere and pack in more supporters. Its all total ****ing Twaddle.
Even if Albion did change to safe standing. it would only be a 1 to 1. and it would not go down well with people who want to stay and sit where they are.

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion, every team in Germany and Celtic who have switched to the one to one safe standing model have said it HAS increased atmosphere, in many cases, significantly.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Not sure how you have come to that conclusion, every team in Germany and Celtic who have switched to the one to one safe standing model have said it HAS increased atmosphere, in many cases, significantly.

Not a very good argument, There original capacity far exceeds ours. Meaning far more younger percentage actually WANT to stand!.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Even if Albion did change to 'safe standing'. it would only be a 1 to 1. and it would not go down well with people who want to stay and sit where they are. (bye bye nice padded seat, grandpa) Hello shitty metal frame seats.

And who will be paying for these alterations. Us of course, it'll be loaded onto the ticket prices.!

Football and standing go way back. It's just a better feel, and doesn't create problems about sitting or standing up. for some reason it does improve atmosphere, which is what Celtic have said and why Bloom is so interested in it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm not that surprised, as personally I'm completely apathetic towards safe standing. Its such a watered down, sanitised version of what we remember as being terraces that I honestly don't really see the point. You'll still be allocated a "space" in front of your rail seat number, it won't be a free-for-all to stand where you like. You're all still in rows. The only difference is you've got a rail to lean on, and a slightly crappier seat to sit on at half time.

I think some people like the idea of standing at football again in a nostalgic sense, but its so far removed from what we used to have that I think it'll be very underwhelming. I've no objection to it obviously. If there's a strong desire for (say) the North Stand to be safe standing then fine, choice is never a bad thing. But I wouldn't be giving up my seat in the WSU for it any time soon.

Absolutely. My thinking as well. I like my seat and if I were 40 years younger then I would probably welcome the move. Great if that is what the punters in the north stand want, and good luck to them, but give me my seat any time now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you'll find with rail seating the seat is actually locked in the up position so you don't get to use it at half time!!

Well...you're not really selling it too me Drew.

Seriously though, if there was a return to ACTUAL terracing, then I'd be all over that like white on rice. My WSU seat would be abandoned, and I'd go wherever in the stadium granted us that glorious facility. But safe standing ? Naah. You can keep it.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think you'll find with rail seating the seat is actually locked in the up position so you don't get to use it at half time!!

Not true, Barber said most clubs leave the seats unlocked to allow people to sit if they chose, only locking them in the down position when required. I would guess this is regarding most clubs that still have a 1-1 seat/stand ratio.

On the separate note, I was disappointed at the lack of people that turned up tonight. So many people say they're keen and support the idea but only 20/30 of us actually showed up.. I appreciate not everyone can make it on Thursday night but I expected much more than what turned up... :nono:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Anything interesting said?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It wouldn't increase capacity(Most already knew this)

It sounds as if the 2 most likely positions would be:
North West corner
OR
Back # rows of the north stand (depending on demand)

Cost is approx £160 per a seat to change.

Possible age restriction OR junior section.

Safe Standing section would more than likely be ST only

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here