Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having just listened to the Safe Standing forum, I'm left wondering whether everyone is missing the main point about standing at football - it's a way of ensuring that you can turn up at a game and get together with your mates to enjoy the game. And ... it's a slightly different group of mates who show up each week.

I'm not convinced that retaining a system of allocated spaces will deliver what we are looking for. An important part of the experience that we are trying to re-introduce is surely Stand Where You Want. Or am I wrong?

Interesting. And massively important. I'm ambivalent about it anyway but can understand some would like it. But if it's season tickets and an allocated space seems to defeat the object. But I suppose that's something clubs are always loathe to backtrack on as it's presumably a deterrent to trouble. Pretty easy when a spot is linked to a name, even if someone else uses the ticket.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm entirely in favour of safe standing but the big question is: can the club provide it in a way which actually DOES improve the atmosphere?

Clearly the most effective solution - which won't happen - is to convert the whole North to safe standing, with the central block designated a dedicated singing section, encouraging all of the most vocal to move there. Even in an ideal world you wouldn't get lots of people willingly moving from their favoured place to benefit the atmosphere. Some, maybe, but not enough.

So, of the two more likely mooted options:
1 A section in the north-west corner - OK so far as it goes, but unlikely to solve the problem of multiple songs across the north, assuming that plenty of singers in the north-east and north-central want to stay where they are.
2 Back xx rows of the north - slightly more likely to work but again with standing fans spread across the back of the stand, the multiple songs problem will still be there, and you won't get the concentration of noise to improve the atmosphere.

Before you ask, I'm in north central, love my seat/standing place and the people around, so am unlikely to move to the north-west corner. We're already standing 'relatively' safely, and no-one's fallen over a seat when we score.

I still hope safe standing is given a go, but I have my doubts that the proposed approaches will REALLY make a massive difference.

According to Barber, Celtic that they said they have noticed an improved atmosphere..

Ideally I'd like to have the central block behind the goal safe standing but as Barber mentioned, that would block the view of the blocks either side. I think the corner would be the best option, get the core singers in 1/2 blocks and the others will join in. Spreading those people out along the back rows(similar to now) wouldn't improve the atmosphere.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have just been sent the club's survey, which included "how do you think the club should fund it?" and "where do you think it should be?"

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Have just been sent the club's survey, which included "how do you think the club should fund it?" and "where do you think it should be?"
I am going to suggest they use the money they've been raking in since charging for Seven Stars Bar

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Was actually shocked at these questions! However I assumed it wouldn't cost much at all - anyone know what it is?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Love the question on who should foot the bill for safe standing should it get the go ahead. I would love to see how many ticked the box that suggests the fans should pay...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Love the question on who should foot the bill for safe standing should it get the go ahead. I would love to see how many ticked the box that suggests the fans should pay...

I really wasn't sure what to tick there! IMHO it should slightly increase the capacity and pay for itself (although they say this isn't possible... it is.)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Was actually shocked at these questions! However I assumed it wouldn't cost much at all - anyone know what it is?

The club said last night that Celtic paid around £166 per space.

At that rate 3,000 seats would costs just shy of £500,000.

Split that cost equally among 23,000 STHs, and that would amount to £21.65 each.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Split that cost equally among 23,000 STHs, and that would amount to £21.65 each.

Why the **** should I pay for some nostalgic trip for a minority. Charge the £166 to the 3000 that want to stand on top of their entrance fee.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Yep - would be a ridiculous thing to do. Surely the club should find it if they want it not another increase again for those it doesn't affect. I'm all for safe standing it will improve atmo etc but the way the club put 'Tony Bloom' in the survey makes people feel a bit awkward. Up to the club to pay if they want to better the experience for certain 'customers'. Feels like the club have put the costing questions in there to put supporters off the idea!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I really wasn't sure what to tick there! IMHO it should slightly increase the capacity and pay for itself (although they say this isn't possible... it is.)

Why is it possible? They have said they favour the one for one system as presumably that will avoid making a lot of other changes to exits, concourses etc and the consequent legal battle to get the capacity increased.

As for cost, anyone who wants to stand should pay the premium for the privilege of doing so.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yep - would be a ridiculous thing to do. Surely the club should find it if they want it not another increase again for those it doesn't affect. I'm all for safe standing it will improve atmo etc but the way the club put 'Tony Bloom' in the survey makes people feel a bit awkward. Up to the club to pay if they want to better the experience for certain 'customers'. Feels like the club have put the costing questions in there to put supporters off the idea!
1. Does the club have the same attitude for the Transport Management Plan - one which everyone pays for irrespective of whether you use it or not?

2. We - the club and the fans - would all benefit, though mostly through intangibles, from safe standing.

3. What about those who would want to be in the safe standing area once in a while (cup matches)? How would they get stung?

My suggestion was part club / part fans. A one-off figure of say £12 wouldn't be so horrific for the greater good.

#Together

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here