Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess most fans that like standing,are already standing.IMO the safe standing has to be cheaper for take-up. IS the north stand full to capacity every match at the moment ?

No it's not full every (any) match at the moment

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Excited that the Albion are leading this - hope for a good turn out next Thursday. as a club and as a set of supporters we have often been superb in campaigns in the past, I really hope NSC gets behind this

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Tickets/spaces still available for this at the Amex tonight. Might be worth going along if standing is something you have an interest in.

I am surprised by the apparent apathy towards this given comments on standing and being made to sit down in the past.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am surprised by the apparent apathy towards this given comments on standing and being made to sit down in the past.

I'm not that surprised, as personally I'm completely apathetic towards safe standing. Its such a watered down, sanitised version of what we remember as being terraces that I honestly don't really see the point. You'll still be allocated a "space" in front of your rail seat number, it won't be a free-for-all to stand where you like. You're all still in rows. The only difference is you've got a rail to lean on, and a slightly crappier seat to sit on at half time.

I think some people like the idea of standing at football again in a nostalgic sense, but its so far removed from what we used to have that I think it'll be very underwhelming. I've no objection to it obviously. If there's a strong desire for (say) the North Stand to be safe standing then fine, choice is never a bad thing. But I wouldn't be giving up my seat in the WSU for it any time soon.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm not that surprised, as personally I'm completely apathetic towards safe standing. Its such a watered down, sanitised version of what we remember as being terraces that I honestly don't really see the point. You'll still be allocated a "space" in front of your rail seat number, it won't be a free-for-all to stand where you like. You're all still in rows. The only difference is you've got a rail to lean on, and a slightly crappier seat to sit on at half time.

I think some people like the idea of standing at football again in a nostalgic sense, but its so far removed from what we used to have that I think it'll be very underwhelming. I've no objection to it obviously. If there's a strong desire for (say) the North Stand to be safe standing then fine, choice is never a bad thing. But I wouldn't be giving up my seat in the WSU for it any time soon.

From a personal perspective I agree entirely. I'd much rather sit down these days.

There did seem to be a fair few people however who were very pro this when the Amex opened but now it's a possibility there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From a personal perspective I agree entirely. I'd much rather sit down these days.

There did seem to be a fair few people however who were very pro this when the Amex opened but now it's a possibility there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Maybe its because people have now seen what safe standing would actually comprise of.

As I've said on another thread on this subject, forget this safe standing / rail seats rubbish. There's absolutely no reason whatsover why terraces couldn't be brought back perfectly safely to our stadiums. Thousands and thousands of fans stand on them week-in, week-out in the lower leagues without incident, and with the modern stadiums we have in the PL / Championship, it would be perfectly simple and safe for terraced areas to return. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe its because people have now seen what safe standing would actually comprise of.

As I've said on another thread on this subject, forget this safe standing / rail seats rubbish. There's absolutely no reason whatsover why terraces couldn't be brought back perfectly safely to our stadiums. Thousands and thousands of fans stand on them week-in, week-out in the lower leagues without incident, and with the modern stadiums we have in the PL / Championship, it would be perfectly simple and safe for terraced areas to return. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

There is a big difference between a sparsely populated terrace in the lower leagues and what would be packed terraces in the premier league and championship. As I understand it, safe standing means you get an allocated space where as what some remember as the glory days was the ability to stand where you like. To some, that enable a sense of anonymity. These days there are of course far more CCTV cameras so the minority that would be out to cause trouble would be readily identified. Does anyone genuinely think the situation last night at West Ham would have been better had there been terraces?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is a big difference between a sparsely populated terrace in the lower leagues and what would be packed terraces in the premier league and championship. As I understand it, safe standing means you get an allocated space where as what some remember as the glory days was the ability to stand where you like. To some, that enable a sense of anonymity. These days there are of course far more CCTV cameras so the minority that would be out to cause trouble would be readily identified. Does anyone genuinely think the situation last night at West Ham would have been better had there been terraces?

I don't think you can bring last nights trouble at West Ham into it - there's no evidence it would have been any better or worse had it been terracing instead of seats there. The whole setup at that stadium is deeply flawed at the moment.

And not all those lower league terraces are as sparsely populated as you suggest. I've seen plenty of packed lower league terraces on Sky, particularly during the Playoffs. Blimey, we've been on them ourselves not all that long ago.The key is that (1) the numbers in each section are properly controlled these days, and (2) there are no longer any fences penning fans in.

If they can manage to do that safely at some of the ramshackle old grounds in L1 and lower, then why would they not be able to do that inside the more modern, well appointed stadiums we have in the higher divisions ?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Is it not on the radio? Don't have Player anymore.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I would have agreed with you BUT having talked to a Celtic supporting mate, he says the atmosphere in that corner has increased massively with the safe standing, there is more bouncing around and noise coming from that part of the ground than ever before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here