Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
How do you know Barnes is £800k, and how long has Wells got on his contract?

i dont and i dont...

i'm just faintly sickened that we seem to be letting a valuable asset go too cheaply again...

wells is a 21 yr old midget who has played well in league 2, barnes is a year older and a fully blooded championship regular. Why is he worth the same or less? :cry:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
More dosh on offer at Burnley for Cashley Barnes ? :smile:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Onwards and upwards, in Bloom and Barber we trust.

No way would we sell Barnes unless we had another striker in mind and on the radar. Watch this space.

I am not convinced that this will happen, another striker coming in, that is. We now have Ulloa and Obika and about to get CMS back soon. I cannot see a permanent striker possibly a loan because if we buy another striker in the <2m range, if/when we go up he might not be good enough. Stick with Ulloa and CMS, plus Obika and maybe one other loanee, suits me..then spend if/when we go up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How do you know Barnes is £800k, and how long has Wells got on his contract?

Because he signed a 3 year deal, in 2012. 2012 + 3 years, 2015.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This has happened so quick, really quite shocked. Not signing a contract in front of you from the summer is the same as handing in a transfer request as far as I'm concerned when you only have 6 months left, I guess we had no choice other than to sell to Burnley. Too late for Leeds though HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Spot on. This is what most people are failing to mention. The failure to sign a contract offered is no different to handing in a transfer request in my opinion.
The club has to cash in, and for me is a player that will not feature much more this season had he stayed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
i dont and i dont...

i'm just faintly sickened that we seem to be letting a valuable asset go too cheaply again...

wells is a 21 yr old midget who has played well in league 2, barnes is a year older and a fully blooded championship regular. Why is he worth the same or less? :cry:

Beacuse Barnes is out of contract in the summer and in theory could walk away for nothing like a certain FFS.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am not convinced that this will happen, another striker coming in, that is. We now have Ulloa and Obika and about to get CMS back soon. I cannot see a permanent striker possibly a loan because if we buy another striker in the <2m range, if/when we go up he might not be good enough. Stick with Ulloa and CMS, plus Obika and maybe one other loanee, suits me..then spend if/when we go up.

What if we get an injury to Ulloa, or he gets sent off again? CMS is at least 4 weeks away, from being ready, and then will need A LOT of match practice to get back up to speed.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
No he wasn't

And you kow this for a fact do you ?

Contracts been on the table for some time, he has been the one thats stalled on signing it, the club simply cant take the risk in potentially losing him for nothing in the summer.

Thanks and good luck Ashley, but in truth this is all down to your own making.

Finally, I suspect he was holding out for a better offer, seems thats backfired and the board have lost patience and will no longer be dictated too by players.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
And you kow this for a fact do you ?

Contracts been on the table for some time, he has been the one thats stalled on signing it, the club simply cant take the risk in potentially losing him for nothing in the summer.

Thanks and good luck Ashley, but in truth this is all down to your own making.

Finally, I suspect he was holding out for a better offer, seems thats backfired and the board have lost patience and will no longer be dictated too by players.

I hear you, but I'd rather he walked for nothing in the summer than we sell him to a Play Off rival.

Imagine if he wins the play off final for them, against us? It'd be the worst deal in our history.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
No he wasn't

Spot on. This is what most people are failing to mention. The failure to sign a contract offered is no different to handing in a transfer request in my opinion.
The club has to cash in, and for me is a player that will not feature much more this season had he stayed.

[MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] - are you saying he was undecided rather than set on leaving?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I hear you, but I'd rather he walked for nothing in the summer than we sell him to a Play Off rival.

Imagine if he wins the play off final for them, against us? It'd be the worst deal in our history.

Come on.... Lets get real about this, with the club dictated by FFP do you really think we can turn down a reported fee of around £750,000 for a player that could potentially walk away for nothing in the summer ?

Truth of the matter is that when all our strikers are fit, Barnes would in all likelyhood be sitting on the bench. Good Championship striker yes, but no club in their right mind would turn down a similar offer for a player thats been so reluctant to sign a new deal and commit his future to the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Imagine his replacement scores the winner. How will the deal look then?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder how good the contract was that Barnes was offered? Hopefully it was better than that offered (apparently) to Glenn Murray.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Come on.... Lets get real about this, with the club dictated by FFP do you really think we can turn down a reported fee of around £750,000 for a player that could potentially walk away for nothing in the summer ?

Truth of the matter is that when all our strikers are fit, Barnes would in all likelyhood be sitting on the bench. Good Championship striker yes, but no club in their right mind would turn down a similar offer for a player thats been so reluctant to sign a new deal and commit his future to the club.

WHEN all our strikers are fit. Hoskins, out indefinitely (possibly retire), CMS been out for a year, with an injury that could seriously impact key parts of his game, and at least 4 weeks away from being near a subs bench.

By that time we could be 15 points adrift from the play offs. But its OK we have £750k in the bank.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
WHEN all our strikers are fit. Hoskins, out indefinitely (possibly retire), CMS been out for a year, with an injury that could seriously impact key parts of his game, and at least 4 weeks away from being near a subs bench.

By that time we could be 15 points adrift from the play offs. But its OK we have £750k in the bank.

Short-sighted and pathetic management as usual.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
People say he is under-rated but I think the guy is actually over-rated on here, simply because he's a trier. He may well work hard, but he does not have the quality to win us promotion in my opinion. Good squad player but nothing more.

I don't think Obika is anywhere near good enough to score goals at this level but I figure he is back-up for Ulloa. As long as another striker comes in, such as Joe Mason, I'm happy with this. I know it's blasphemy to say anything bad about Barnes on NSC these days but I don't think we will miss him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wonder how good the contract was that Barnes was offered? Hopefully it was better than that offered (apparently) to Glenn Murray.

Quite - everyone complains that he hasn't signed the contract but maybe we've offered him a laughable amount, as we did to Murray? For all we know, Barnes might've only been holding out for an extra £500 a week...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here