Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I worry big time about getting over run centrally in a 4 4 2. Equally we need 2 wide man urgently if that's the case, and 2 that work both ways Bennett for example

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
442 at home it is then. However, I wonder if he will stick Ince in away from home and go with one up top in a 451. Ince looks like he is starting to own the midfield (based on his sub appearance last night when he was genuinely ****ing brilliant coming on to shut the shop).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Disappointing. Dinosaur football.

442 is so uninspiring. I really hope this does not become a thing as it would be so depressing.

The dinosaurs in the crowd will be happy.

I'm still pretty convinced that we will play 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 whichever way you look at it when the season kicks off, if we can get further up the field defensively then our attacking players will look much better and will be Able to support a lone front man without the risk of being over run centrally.

Is it the 1970's again?

Well the neanderthals on here are, so thats a fair bet

You want boring and predictable then 442 is your formation. Can't imagine any of the more exciting teams in football think 442 is the way forward. Come to think of it, it's just the English who clamour for it.

:dunce::jester:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
False Dawn ?

It's a very predictable system to play against though. You know exactly where each and every player is.

I'm with this. 4-4-2 is a very rigid formation and when both clubs play it it can be very boring without any flexibilty in midfield. I go for 4-3-3 with one winger.

In my terminology 4-2-4 is the failed system with two wingers. 4-4-2 as often as not has no wingers. 4-3-3 has one winger.

I can't see to get around that the current squad with Stephens and Kayal in the middle is suited to a basic 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

It is winning the home games against lower opposition where I see 4-4-2 becoming a bit frustrating. If we ever got promoted, I think we we would have to play 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 to have extra bodies in midfield though.

When opponents set up to stop the passing game http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/tactics/how-to-make-the-opposition-play-the-long-ball-game I think just threading the ball forwards for two attackers may need refinement, with one winger and a quick switch to an overlapping full back on the other side.

Have we got the player to play the second striker/false number 9? Lualua or Elvis?

We need a winger to stop their full backs from joining the attack.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We are getting more players in the box / creating more chances. What's not to like. It is also worth noting that most successful teams in our league last season played 2 upfront, not 1.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are getting more players in the box / creating more chances. What's not to like. It is also worth noting that most successful teams in our league last season played 2 upfront, not 1.

We are having more shots from inside the box. That's entirely down to Lualua.

Shots per game 15.4 last season 14.5
SPG in the penalty area 8.2 last season 7.5

Anything over two shots per game for a player in the penalty area is good
Tex at 1.3 was best for us last season Lualua at 0.4 last season

Lulua 1.8 SPG in the penalty area this season behind Hemed at 2.8 Baldock at 1.4

Looking at the stats last season it seems most clubs had one major striker, except we did not have any, only Dunk intermittently.

Most of them had a second striker who got in the box occasionally. We did not have one of them either.

It is geetting the tricky balnce bwteeen passing/possession and creating chances. We seem to have gone 10% better at attacking resulting in a loss in posession. I think we could be a bit cleverer keeping the ball when we are ahead.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I am not unhappy with the results. I am unhappy with the style of play though.

Have you seen any of the matches this season? Because I think the majority who have won't have a problem with this seasons style of play. Against Ipswich we had 21 shots, last season we were luck if the team reached double figures - it may not be tika-taka anymore but when its solid football that gets result, can you really complain that much?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is depressing though. The results are good but the style is bad. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Perhaps because it is just wrong.

The precision passes that Bong pinged up to KLL (for the first goal) and Baldock (which almost resulted in another one) were excellent. If he can go on doing that all season, I'll be well pleased.
Of course, he COULD have side-footed the ball to Hunemeier or Greer, or passed it back to Stockdale. Style.................

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It is depressing though. The results are good but the style is bad. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Football and life is a matter of opinions - therefore my opinion is both the results and style of football have both been brilliant so far. Really can't see what there is to be unhappy about.

We have an incredibly strong and skilful midfield. Kayall and Stephens have shown skill, strength and leadership . Bong is equally comfortable defending and attacking. We can mix both the passing and long ball game. Long ball doesn't mean just hoofing it - look at our first goal against Ipswich. Lua Lua is now a 90 minute player (something I thought would never happen) his finishing and crossing has improved beyond recognition . We are creating and converting so many more chances this season without compromising our defence duties.

Personally I am loving our style of play .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He could have done that whatever the style or formation :facepalm:
The point is, he didn't, thus not conforming to your desired style. He did better than that.

However, if you think that a thirty odd yard precision pass leading to a goal isn't style enough, that's your prerogative.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is nothing stopping that in a possession based game is there?

In % football, possession football is largely a defensive tactic (a good tactic better than deep defence). There is still a place for it, especially when holding on to a lead.

I think the trick is really making the right decisions. Long shots are often just giving the ball away. So are long passes quite often as they are intercepted.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
There is nothing stopping that in a possession based game is there?

What is the point of possession if it doesn't go any where? I really don't get why you aren't happy with how we are playing? The link up play between Bomg and Lua Lua is amazing. Hemed and Baldock are working brilliantly - too much emphasis is sometimes put on formations and style of play. From my perspective what I have witnessed so far this season is a team that is very strong both physically and mentally that can move the ball forwards purposefully and with skill.

I suppose the question is what is it you don't like about our style of play?? ( genuine question)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder if some of our contributors have altered their stance on our formation now?

The Hull game was interesting, we only managed 40% possession but won the game without really having our goal threatened. I'd say Hughton is winning the tactical battle more often than not.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here