Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement - dark horse

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
You're not really joining the dots here.

Tuesday night I asked Skybet to include Clement on their book.
Corals, the only other bookie, had PC at 16/1.
Wednesday morning Paul was included at 28/1.
As it appears to be 'beating the bookie' I had a nibble, and posted here.
[MENTION=14118]Vegas Seagull[/MENTION] read that and took a comparatively big bite.
For all we know others did as well.
Within a couple of hours Skybet had regulated him down to 16/1.
Then down to 3/1 by the end of trading.

It's got nothing to do with the club, or word on the street.
The reason, and ONLY reason, Clement is now 3/1 in a market that attracts minimal betting, is because Skybet original posted odds that were considerably higher than the competition.

We could make Darren Ferguson 3/1 by tomorrow lunchtime with an outlay probably less than £200.

Fair point SB. Who do you think out of interest will be TB's choice as opposed to the bookies perceived favourites?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I started this thread because I was interested in seeing what it would do to the odds.

Whilst I think he is a realistic possibility, it shows that it doesn't take very much for the odds to tumble. It really is no indication OTHER than it shows that a lot if Brighton fans think he is a possibility.

It does NOT give any indication as to what will actually happen.

It is reflective of bets and that only.

That said if Tony Bloom lumped a comparative big sum on Kevin Keegan those odds would fall and that would be correct.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I started this thread because I was interested in seeing what it would do to the odds.

Whilst I think he is a realistic possibility, it shows that it doesn't take very much for the odds to tumble. It really is no indication OTHER than it shows that a lot if Brighton fans think he is a possibility.

It does NOT give any indication as to what will actually happen.

It is reflective of bets and that only.

That said if Tony Bloom lumped a comparative big sum on Kevin Keegan those odds would fall and that would be correct.

Get off that fence!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair point SB. Who do you think out of interest will be TB's choice as opposed to the bookies perceived favourites?
No idea.
Thinking about it, this sort of 'joke' bet is the nearest we're going to get to a level playing field, esp early on in proceedings.
The bookies have no idea what Tony is thinking, and neither do we, they are only lead by our betting patterns, not info gained 'elsewhere'.

You could probably make the same 'perfect fit' for most candidates if you tried hard enough.
[MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] got in first with Clement, I liked the cut of his jib, and as said it looked like Skybet had made a mistake.
With such opportunities being rarer than hen's teeth, it was silly not to bet.

I, like many on here, made a few quid on Adkins going to Reading.
Picking the moment when everybody else (media types not Albion fans) assumed it was Gus' once he went for the interview, and Adkins went out to 5/1.
Basically betting on Gus not taking, or not being allowed to take the job, and Adkins already being out of work.

I'd imagine a few palace fans made a killing on Pullis after he first turned them down.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
You're not really joining the dots here.

Tuesday night I asked Skybet to include Clement on their book.
Corals, the only other bookie, had PC at 16/1.
Wednesday morning Paul was included at 28/1.
As it appears to be 'beating the bookie' I had a nibble, and posted here.
[MENTION=14118]Vegas Seagull[/MENTION] read that and took a comparatively big bite.
For all we know others did as well.
Within a couple of hours Skybet had regulated him down to 16/1.
Then down to 3/1 by the end of trading.

It's got nothing to do with the club, or word on the street.
The reason, and ONLY reason, Clement is now 3/1 in a market that attracts minimal betting, is because Skybet original posted odds that were considerably higher than the competition.

We could make Darren Ferguson 3/1 by tomorrow lunchtime with an outlay probably less than £200.

And YOU should spend less time down the bookies. Though I agree with getting Darren Ferguson up there. I asked about Dean Wilkins at Ladbrokes earlier and the fella said "Who?". I didn't bother mentinoning his brother first up just pointing out how Dean Wilkins had championed our kids especially Dean Cox. Same answer. "Who?" I said "Dean Cox". Loudly. " Got Leyton Orient to the play off final" and he just walked off. Idiot.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And YOU should spend less time down the bookies. Though I agree with getting Darren Ferguson up there. I asked about Dean Wilkins at Ladbrokes earlier and the fella said "Who?". I didn't bother mentinoning his brother first up just pointing out how Dean Wilkins had championed our kids especially Dean Cox. Same answer. "Who?" I said "Dean Cox". Loudly. " Got Leyton Orient to the play off final" and he just walked off. Idiot.
To be fair you would most likely get the same response in any bookies.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brilliant thread. On the AIM share market many shares are pushed higher through positive info on share forums only for them to half in value in seconds as the shorters step in to take their profits. It's not even criminal for said shorters to post those positive comments.

Not the same but a link somewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Argus now mentioning it.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11217260.Mackay_distances_himself_from_Albion_vacancy/

Just because betting odds reduced.

They have no actual info that wasn't on this thread two or three days ago!
Imagine the story if you had an ounce of credibility :lol: no offence!!

You hadn't heard of the fella.
NSC strung a few press clippings together.
We liked what we read.
We found a link to Burke.

From a complete non story, and Skybet either not being diligent enough, or more likely, playing the 'game' posting very favourable odds to a rival, we've ended up with this.

2+2 really does equal 5.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Imagine the story if you had an ounce of credibility :lol: no offence!!

You hadn't heard of the fella.
NSC strung a few press clippings together.
We liked what we read.
We found a link to Burke.

From a complete non story, and Skybet either not being diligent enough, or more likely, playing the 'game' posting very favourable odds to a rival, we've ended up with this.

2+2 really does equal 5.

Yes completely ridiculous isn't it!

My dad met me at the door this morning holding the argus saying, "have you heard of Paul Clement?", he doesn't look at NSC........

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Stumpy Tim

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I had a quick glance in this thread, but couldnt see it posted,..... this Telegraph article by Guillem Balague in March this year is a good summary of the man.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/real-madrid/10716273/Real-Madrid-v-Barcelona-Sutton-PE-teacher-Paul-Clement-plotting-Barcas-demise-in-El-Clasico.html
That's a great article, thanks for sharing.

I like this part- On the state of English football he says: “If you could add together some of the technical and tactical know how of the Spanish players with the grit of the English and some of the world-class facilities that are available, you are starting to put together the ideal thing.”
But he bemoans the English weather that necessitates more indoor training.
“In England there are some really tough months in the winter, not very much light, so you’re indoors, very often in cramped spaces – it’s not a luxury that all the clubs have these massive indoor areas. And if they do, sometimes there will be two or three teams working in a space at once.

We've got that covered, Paul :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He COULD be great. Someone will take a gamble on him and that person could be the smartest smartie in the smartie tube.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
114383928_clement_343572c.jpg

Here is a picture of him. Its quite nice to know what these people look like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here