Paul Jewell 40/1
Paul Lambert 40/1
Dennis Wise 40/1
Michael Laudrup 40/1
Inigo Calderon 66/1

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
well what is the definition of the spanish experiment? surely fran sandaza and inigo calderon in league 1 (and poyet as manager, i know hes not spanish, but hes a spanish speaker, who wants to play the spanish way, and recruit spaniards/south americans) indicate the start of the spanish experiment, or are you defining it by a 'spanish' style of play (the tiki-taka style slow build up) that we absolutely played in league 1 and into the championship

you also didnt mention that paul clement was assistant to STEVE KEAN when VENKYS had just come in - he was an absolute calamity of a manager, signing awful players as they benefited him/his agent - with fans against him. truly an awful time for that club. Nobody could have reversed that

then add to the fact that Ancelotti picked him up after this, shows that he obviously rates him

Jose Mourinho never played a level of football higher than semi-pro, did Villas-Boas/Ralf Rangnick ever play professionally? - same as Paul Clement. this of course means NOTHING. but seeing as you highlighted it, i thought id give an example of somebody similar who has achieved a LOT, without the real playing experience that you feel is necessary

this is of course all down to opinion - but id be interested to know who you think are better candidates, and your reasoning

Beat me to it :clap2:

The more I read, the more I like this guy. Sounds like a true academic of the game. Nineteen years as a coach and still only 42? Wow. And lets not forget - He's a coach at one of the best teams in the world! Also has a shedload more experience than Poyet had when he signed.

Worth a punt I reckon.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Agree with the vast majority of comments on here.

I was all for him and still am to a certain extent. I think he could do an excellent job,

My concern is that in the last few years he is very much accustomed to working with the very best of the best. Players that astronomical ammounts of money can only buy. At brighton he would not get this and that is where I can see him failing.

But he hasn't always coached football royalty. He's just proved he can coach at ALL levels - which is a box ticker for me, especially when we eventually step up to the promised land!

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Do we really want to try yet another 'up and coming' manager???

Mind you they're the only types that will be interested, as it's finally been said that they wont have a say in what players they can buy, but on what will be given to them.
I know they didn't last long but the previous 2 'up and coming' managers did us proud table-wise

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

But he hasn't always coached football royalty. He's just proved he can coach at ALL levels - which is a box ticker for me, especially when we eventually step up to the promised land!

But the only obvious success has been with the top stars. Not saying he isn't the right man but it's my initial concern

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
But the only obvious success has been with the top stars. Not saying he isn't the right man but it's my initial concern

Point noted, but he rose through the coaching ranks at Chelsea, so must of been a success in each role he took on don't you think?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Might be able to get Ronald O'bashemin on loan before he bales out.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If we are in for him it'll be a little while before we hear anything as surely he'll be focused on RM's game next week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right lets pick on someone else, and get his odds down:-

Darren Ferguson?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
If it is Paul Clement there is the small matter of the Champions League Final to get out of the way before we could even get him on a plane.

When is the final?

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Clement strikes me as a typical Bloom appointment: Untried or untested but young and ambitious with a good coaching pedigree and with International/Continental experience, pretty similar to both Poyet and Garcia but with the added bonus of being English and cheap. As a gambling man, he seems happy to take a risk on someone new/different rather than big name Managers like Sherwood or Mackay. Dont be surprised if Clement is our next Manager, its where my money is going ( was 28/1, now 3/1 with SkyBet, suspended with StanJames)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Clement strikes me as a typical Bloom appointment: Untried or untested but young and ambitious with a good coaching pedigree and with International/Continental experience, pretty similar to both Poyet and Garcia but with the added bonus of being English and cheap. As a gambling man, he seems happy to take a risk on someone new/different rather than big name Managers like Sherwood or Mackay. Dont be surprised if Clement is our next Manager, its where my money is going ( was 28/1, now 3/1 with SkyBet, suspended with StanJames)
He may have the qualifications and track record in coaching at the highest level, but has he got the ability to MANAGE alongside that. Dont forget, one of the issues with OG was that he didnt seem to be that hands on when managing the various reporting streams, upwards to Bloom, and downwards through the various media outlets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here