Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My protégé did an Audax yesterday.

196 miles (300 kms)
12h 45 mins
8,435ft of climbing.

Waterlooville - Southampton - Lymington - Ringwood - Wimbourne Minster - Blanford Forum - Salisbury - Winchester - Waterlooville.

The guys a freakin machine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The ride or being my protégé?
I taught him all he knows, he couldn't have done it without me.
Had it not been for me eating our villages supply of doughnuts, Colin wouldn't have been able to get to the start line.
Selfless I am!!

In fairness with his sense of direction he probably only popped out to get some milk :lol:

It's a ridiculous ride I can't wait to grill him about it at work tomorrow, if he can stay awake.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The ride or being my protégé?
I taught him all he knows, he couldn't have done it without me.
Had it not been for me eating our villages supply of doughnuts, Colin wouldn't have been able to get to the start line.
Selfless I am!!

In fairness with his sense of direction he probably only popped out to get some milk :lol:

It's a ridiculous ride I can't wait to grill him about it at work tomorrow, if he can stay awake.

I don't ride 196 miles a month these days, let alone in a day!!!

How's he walking today?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

How's he walking today?

Quite. Chapeau to the protégé.

I was sitting here feeling fairly happy having done 50 miles yesterday including into some horrible headwinds across the Cambridgeshire Fens, which isn't bad for this old fart and occasional sportive rider - but reading that post that has brought me down to earth. I can't imagine what the delicate parts of his anatomy are like today!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

How's he walking today?
It's Colin's day off today, so I'll catch up with him in the morning.
I'm leaving him alone, even though we are across the road neighbours.

Clearly this is so far beyond my capabilities, so we are talking alternate universes here.
But after nearly 13 hours in the saddle my back would have locked into place.
I probably would never stand upright again.

I found this route map through google:-
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/AUDAX-Denmead-SR-Series-300-m

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite. Chapeau to the protégé.

I was sitting here feeling fairly happy having done 50 miles yesterday including into some horrible headwinds across the Cambridgeshire Fens, which isn't bad for this old fart and occasional sportive rider - but reading that post that has brought me down to earth. I can't imagine what the delicate parts of his anatomy are like today!
We went out for a quick spin 2 weeks ago, I hadn't ridden with Colin for a couple of years.
It certainly was a quick spin, I had an armchair ride, although it was demoralising when he just didn't change gear through 800ft of climbing.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Waterlooville - Southampton - Lymington - Ringwood - Wimbourne Minster - Blanford Forum - Salisbury - Winchester - Waterlooville.The guys a freakin machine.

He bypassed Winchester - lightweight!

We went out for a quick spin 2 weeks ago, I hadn't ridden with Colin for a couple of years.
It certainly was a quick spin, I had an armchair ride, although it was demoralising when he just didn't change gear through 800ft of climbing.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My protégé did an Audax yesterday.

196 miles (300 kms)
12h 45 mins
8,435ft of climbing.

Waterlooville - Southampton - Lymington - Ringwood - Wimbourne Minster - Blanford Forum - Salisbury - Winchester - Waterlooville.

The guys a freakin machine.

Stone me! Is Audax translated from someone's version of 'all day'? Looks like it. I have this 'plan' of doing a lap of Kent one day, but I'll need plenty of stars aligned to give it a go. And a map.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Stone me! Is Audax translated from someone's version of 'all day'? Looks like it. I have this 'plan' of doing a lap of Kent one day, but I'll need plenty of stars aligned to give it a go. And a map.

You don't need a map. It's all about experimentation.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its a long way to experiment though. I wanted it to be inspired by TV's Coast as much as possible. There's not a lot of coastal roads in a few stretches and the last leg would be quite hilly. Knowing where the rail stations are would be comforting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An audax is a non competitive long distance cycling come orienteering event.

You have to reach checkpoints within the route.
How you get to the checkpoints is up to you.

Here's one in Poole for [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION] to do, it's merely 600 kms.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-176/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Its a long way to experiment though. I wanted it to be inspired by TV's Coast as much as possible. There's not a lot of coastal roads in a few stretches and the last leg would be quite hilly. Knowing where the rail stations are would be comforting.

In a similar vein, well not exactly, but sort of if you're planning your very own special ride - have you read French Revolutions by Tim Moore yet? If not, PM me your address and you can have it if you like.

Also. Not following the coast, but have you considered this http://road.cc/content/event/93556-tour-de-kent as an introduction?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mate I think I'll just be content with a wry grin on this one.

It's been damn funny watching it all unfold before our eyes though. :thumbsup:

'Tis a fair cop.

Keep dropping in throughout the season to check out the Matthew Harley Goss slatings. You may end up winning a few bob :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Meanwhile, talking of sprinters, proper sprinters that is...

...Good to see Cav in fine form and stringing it all together in Turkey :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In a similar vein, well not exactly, but sort of if you're planning your very own special ride - have you read French Revolutions by Tim Moore yet? If not, PM me your address and you can have it if you like.

Also. Not following the coast, but have you considered this http://road.cc/content/event/93556-tour-de-kent as an introduction?

No and No.

I'll borrow the book, no rush though. Disappear for a BH weekend? In my dreams!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just couldn't get on with French Revolutions.
It's the only book that always comes highly recommended in the round ups, that I just don't like.

One day I'll read the ANC-Halfords book, it's the gaping hole in my reading palmares.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No and No.

I'll borrow the book, no rush though. Disappear for a BH weekend? In my dreams!

Sorry Moto, you're confusing me again. You appear to have a language all of your own sometimes. Can you bring me up to speed on a 'BH' weekend?

Meanwhile, the sooner the better for sending the book to you, there's enough clutter in our house as it is!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sorry Moto, you're confusing me again. You appear to have a language all of your own sometimes. Can you bring me up to speed on a 'BH' weekend?

Meanwhile, the sooner the better for sending the book to you, there's enough clutter in our house as it is!

BH = bank holiday. I was trying to save the energy typing it out in full, but you had to go and ruin it. In fairness though, knowing me, it could have been a Brands Hatch weekend in my language.

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here