Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Slovakia and Wales v Russia ko 8pm.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not for the first time this tournament there's not a lot of difference watching England and AMEX era Albion.

In the cold light of day, their 'keeper didn't really do much.

no but their defense run ragged, Skrtal with cramp before the 90 min is up? i cant beleive the response, maybe people would rather see constant misplace passes (must love Wilshere keeping that tradition), pressure on the defense, forlorn runs of our stiker to get on another clearance. im loveing the way we keep the ball in the opposition half, Dier and Alli so comfortable on the ball, full backs streching the team. frustrating as hell we can break down the proverbial bus, but at least we look like we can play football.

... We were truly awful tonight. No passion, no commitment, no skill, no motivation, no interest ...

are we all being ironic and im just not tuned in?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A team of competent footballers that England dominated for 90 minutes.

We have dominated all the games, don't get points for possession stats. We need to add a few goals to our possession.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We might have a lot of possession but theres nowhere near enough movement nor does the ball move quickly enough. Just look at spain play and then look at us, its a night and day difference both playing similar systems. We've scored 3 goals against Russia, Wales and Slovakia for christ sake we might have had a lot of possession but we've done precious little with it. Final balls have also frequently been crap.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
[tweet]744997210820075520[/tweet]

Just about sums Henderson up. What exactly does he do? Is he meant to be an attacking midfielder? A defensive midfielder? Is he meant to be good at tackling? Passing? I have no ****ing idea.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wales managed to score 2 against them and now 3 against Russia. England scored 1 in 2 games against the same opponents.

Sorry, I forgot-we dominated possession so all is not lost.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Don't put words in my mouth. I agree with Bilic, I'm not going to praise us for having all the possession because of course we have all the possession when a team parks the bus.

All I'm saying is we shouldn't read too much into this game and get all negative because of the way Slovakia played. In the knockout stages teams won't play like that, and I think that will be to our advantage.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We have dominated all the games, don't get points for possession stats. We need to add a few goals to our possession.

All 3 teams we've played have set themselves up defensively. The knockout stages are a different kettle of fish.

I don't get the bed wetting. England are unbeaten and comfortably through to the next round. Some glaring chances missed tonight and some last ditch defending by Slovakia, but we've all watched enough dominant Albion games to know that that happens sometime. I'd rather save the games where England take every chance, or the deflected shots go in the net and not behind, for the knockouts.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don't put words in my mouth. I agree with Bilic, I'm not going to praise us for having all the possession because of course we have all the possession when a team parks the bus.

All I'm saying is we shouldn't read too much into this game and get all negative because of the way Slovakia played. In the knockout stages teams won't play like that, and I think that will be to our advantage.

I agree with you, but meeting France in the QF -- providing the L16 can be overcome -- will not be advantageous.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Tosser Hodgson saying how well he thought Wilshire and Henderson played.Wonder how Drinkwater and Townsend must feel sitting at home watching that shit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tosser Hodgson saying how well he thought Wilshire and Henderson played.Wonder how Drinkwater and Townsend must feel sitting at home watching that shit.

Drinkwater wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference unless he could finish as creating wasn't the issue tonight, plus he would have been in Diers place.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
All 3 teams we've played have set themselves up defensively. The knockout stages are a different kettle of fish.

I don't get the bed wetting. England are unbeaten and comfortably through to the next round. Some glaring chances missed tonight and some last ditch defending by Slovakia, but we've all watched enough dominant Albion games to know that that happens sometime. I'd rather save the games where England take every chance, or the deflected shots go in the net and not behind, for the knockouts.

Really? So you don't think Iceland would play for penalties? Even more so after tonight I'd say.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you take away the results & the finishing aspect and look at each game, chances created & generally how the football games have been played we've been dominant beyond our wildest dreams - played some really nice stuff & the team seem to care... That's the positive bit.

The negative bit is we haven't taken the chances to turn that dominance into wins - finishing hasn't been good enough. We were good first half tonight but seemed to run out of steam & the tempo was far too slow. That said, Slovakia offered nothing & it is hard to play against 11 behind the ball in the final 3rd.

My annoyance is quite high at not topping the group as if we had it could have been Albania or N.Ireland in the next round and then possibly Hungary or Portugal in the 1/4s - I'd have really fancied us against any of them. Same old England at a major though, and we could even get Portugal next. I predict Hungary which id expect us to get through but then it would most likely be France - a much tougher 1/4 than if we'd topped the group. Very frustrating especially as we've played very well overall - only ourselves to blame for not putting the chances away though :(

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you take away the results & the finishing aspect and look at each game, chances created & generally how the football games have been played we've been dominant beyond our wildest dreams - played some really nice stuff & the team seem to care... That's the positive bit.

The negative bit is we haven't taken the chances to turn that dominance into wins - finishing hasn't been good enough. We were good first half tonight but seemed to run out of steam & the tempo was far too slow. That said, Slovakia offered nothing & it is hard to play against 11 behind the ball in the final 3rd.

My annoyance is quite high at not topping the group as if we had it could have been Albania or N.Ireland in the next round and then possibly Hungary or Portugal in the 1/4s - I'd have really fancied us against any of them. Same old England at a major though, and we could even get Portugal next. I predict Hungary which id expect us to get through but then it would most likely be France - a much tougher 1/4 than if we'd topped the group. Very frustrating especially as we've played very well overall - only ourselves to blame for not putting the chances away though :(

I fancy this side against the French - if you consider the defence we should go to town on them, plus Giroud isn't a worry

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree with you, but meeting France in the QF -- providing the L16 can be overcome -- will not be advantageous.

I don't care who we meet and when. If you want to win the thing you have to beat the best anyway (I don't think France are btw).

We have good options going forward and against any team that gives us a game I fancy us to at least score goals. My biggest worry at that point will be our center back options and 1st choice keeper, but then we knew that all along anyway.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

The only real chance tonight fell to Vardy. Everything else was half chances or edge of the box stuff. Their keeper never made a save you wouldn't expect a championship keeper to make.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I've been watching both Copa America and the Euros and so far I've enjoyed Copa America more. I know that Copa America doesn't have the cachet of the Euros but there have been some great performances, full of passion and guts - something severely lacking in some of the Euros matches. Dempsey played out of his skin in the USA quarter final against Ecuador, getting them through to the semis. They will probably get knocked out by Argentina but you can't knock their determination. And seeing Chile beat Mexico 7-0 was the icing on the cake.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only real chance tonight fell to Vardy. Everything else was half chances or edge of the box stuff. Their keeper never made a save you wouldn't expect a championship keeper to make.

Lallana had a good chance, by no means his only one this tournament. He is still to score for England.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I don't care who we meet and when. If you want to win the thing you have to beat the best anyway (I don't think France are btw).

We have good options going forward and against any team that gives us a game I fancy us to at least score goals. My biggest worry at that point will be our center back options and 1st choice keeper, but then we knew that all along anyway.

Might have good options going forward but at the moment they could not score in a brothel

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Might have good options going forward but at the moment they could not score in a brothel

Against parked buses. It shouldn't be like that once we start the knockout stages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here