Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Slovakia and Wales v Russia ko 8pm.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
'I want it now' meaning we must win every game easily etc. It's just not going to happen. Yes, our record at majors isn't that good (although 1/4 finals etc isn't exactly poor when we have got that far) especially given how well we tend to qualify these days while others struggle (Holland, Portugal etc). Who says England should be winning tournos regularly? How many of the other 19 countries you've not mentioned have won majors in the last 50 odd years? Not many. I just prefer to support the team, enjoy the Summer and take it for what it is. Yes, last night is disappointing, but we've still qualified and 1st or 2nd doesn't make a great deal of odds in our group in this new format at least.

I agree re Hodgson - Too many changes last night for me. You rightly say this is a young team and one that is exciting. Let's just see where it gets us before slating them too much on the back of 3 good overall performances and an unbeaten record...

Changes people were demanding.... cant win.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
'I want it now' meaning we must win every game easily etc. It's just not going to happen. Yes, our record at majors isn't that good (although 1/4 finals etc isn't exactly poor when we have got that far) especially given how well we tend to qualify these days while others struggle (Holland, Portugal etc). Who says England should be winning tournos regularly? How many of the other 19 countries you've not mentioned have won majors in the last 50 odd years? Not many. I just prefer to support the team, enjoy the Summer and take it for what it is. Yes, last night is disappointing, but we've still qualified and 1st or 2nd doesn't make a great deal of odds in our group in this new format at least.

I agree re Hodgson - Too many changes last night for me. You rightly say this is a young team and one that is exciting. Let's just see where it gets us before slating them too much on the back of 3 good overall performances and an unbeaten record...

I was just comparing England's record to the other major footballing countries in Europe. We should be mixing it with them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What we could do with is having a bit of luck.

We have to work so hard to get a goal whereas Wales were given three gifts tonight.

How is it luck?

At nil-nil in both games, Vardy and Ramsey were released clean through, one on one with the keeper. That Ramsey calmly dinked it over the Russian keeper, and Vardy put his head down and smashed it straight at the Slovakian one, is nothing to do with luck.

England go one nil up at that stage, the game opens up, and the win comfortably, just as Wales did.

All about taking your chances.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How is it luck?

At nil-nil in both games, Vardy and Ramsey were released clean through, one on one with the keeper. That Ramsey calmly dinked it over the Russian keeper, and Vardy put his head down and smashed it straight at the Slovakian one, is nothing to do with luck.

England go one nil up at that stage, the game opens up, and the win comfortably, just as Wales did.

Watch Vardy's goals from the season just gone, quite a few went through the keeper, he isnt a great finisher.

It's frustrating (I am bias of course) that the game we start putting balls in the box Kane had been dropped.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
England goalkeeper Joe Hart: "We have dominated every corner of the pitch and every Slovakian player will be proud of that result. We are into the next round and nobody will want to play us. I haven't had anything to do in the whole tournament, to be honest. We have been playing very well as a team."

Maybe the Russian goal fluked up in the air but he could have done more with Bale's free kick.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Watch Vardy's goals from the season just gone, quite a few went through the keeper, he isnt a great finisher.

It's frustrating (I am bias of course) that the game we start putting balls in the box Kane had been dropped.

He was given quite a long time to make an impact and yet again he can't even get on the end of a half-chance.

Unfortunately he is so badly off form. Do you think we should be giving him more time to turn it around?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He was given quite a long time to make an impact and yet again he can't even get on the end of a half-chance.

Unfortunately he is so badly off form. Do you think we should be giving him more time to turn it around?

I am not a Vardy fan as it is, I think he will struggle next season.

He showed last night if he has no space he is pretty useless.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
How is it luck?

I know the finishing hasn't been good enough.

What I'm saying is that all teams ( ahem Burnley for example) score goals when they get lucky when it goes off someone's arse and ends up in the net. That isn't happening for us. However I honestly believe that if we keep going the way we are, things will start falling for us.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
England goalkeeper Joe Hart: "We have dominated every corner of the pitch and every Slovakian player will be proud of that result. We are into the next round and nobody will want to play us. I haven't had anything to do in the whole tournament, to be honest. We have been playing very well as a team."

Maybe the Russian goal fluked up in the air but he could have done more with Bale's free kick.

When do you lot get to be proud of a result harty? so we can too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know the finishing hasn't been good enough.

What I'm saying is that all teams ( ahem Burnley for example) score goals when they get lucky when it goes off someone's arse and ends up in the net. That isn't happening for us. However I honestly believe that if we keep going the way we are, things will start falling for us.

You're quite right.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't understand all the negativity. We know we're not one of the elite teams, we know that we're probably going to get knocked out against the first quality team we play so why all the fuss?

We created enough chances to win against a side who seemed to mistake us for Spain. Vardy missed a chance that he's spent all season putting way, Clyne should have had a penalty, Skrtel cleared off the line, Sturridge had a great chance. We also did a job on them so that Hamsik, a player the press described as better than anything we had in our team, had absolutely no influence on the game.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
So now we are in the same half of the knock-outs as Germany, Italy, Spain and France. And Wales avoid all of those until the Final. Typical fvcking England.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't understand all the negativity. We know we're not one of the elite teams, we know that we're probably going to get knocked out against the first quality team we play so why all the fuss?

We created enough chances to win against a side who seemed to mistake us for Spain. Vardy missed a chance that he's spent all season putting way, Clyne should have had a penalty, Skrtel cleared off the line, Sturridge had a great chance. We also did a job on them so that Hamsik, a player the press described as better than anything we had in our team, had absolutely no influence on the game.

So now we are in the same half of the knock-outs as Germany, Italy, Spain and France. And Wales avoid all of those until the Final. Typical fvcking England.

I thought somebody posted that we avoided Spain and 1 of the other fancied teams as we were not in their half of the draw.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Let's see how they get on against these teams...hopefully pleasantly surprised.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
I thought somebody posted that we avoided Spain and 1 of the other fancied teams as we were not in their half of the draw.

Croatia won their Group so Spain (2nd) now play Italy; the winner of which plays Germany (probably). Croatia go into Wales' half of the draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here