Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many hours a day do you spend at work?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I spend about 2-3 hours each day in the office and am at home or travelling to clients the rest of the time. My hours vary dramatically, from 4-5 through to 18-20; the latter occurring when we close a big deal, an acquisition, or around the time we announce our results. I guess I do about 70 hours a week spread across all days.

If I worked 70 hours a week I would be on £14000 a month:eek:-----that isn't ever going to happen - life's to short to work yourself to death.
That would just about keep me in Guinness for the month anyway:drink:
As my Dad taught me: what we can't do today we will do tomorrow:)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My son & I work on average six hours a day.
We don't stop for food or drink in that time.
At the age of 57 I'm still waiting to become a millionaire plumber like that bn9 bha bloke from Newhaven:)

I don't think many millionaires got there working 6 hours a day!

I generally get to the office between 7.30 and 8 and don't often leave before 6, quite often up to 8 and occasionally 10 or 11!
Trying hard to shorten my working days, though. I need to live a bit, too.

D

Deleted member 18477

Average about 9 hours a day Mon to fri. Usually eat lunch whilst working.

Probably average 3 hours extra either in evenings or at weekend.

So all in all about a 48 hour week not including travelling time which is usually roughly an hour a day.

I get paid to do a job rather than working specific hours.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Varies day to day but I average about 50hours a week in the office and about a further 4-8 from home in the evening/weekend depending on what's going on.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I don't think many millionaires got there working 6 hours a day!

I generally get to the office between 7.30 and 8 and don't often leave before 6, quite often up to 8 and occasionally 10 or 11!
Trying hard to shorten my working days, though. I need to live a bit, too.

sully--I forgot to mention two/three hours in the evening doing bills (good thing) & estimates (nightmare)
Also halfway through TV stuff someone will ring me about their plumbing problems and I never find out WHO DUNNIT!!!!:drama:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If I worked 70 hours a week I would be on £14000 a month:eek:-----that isn't ever going to happen - life's to short to work yourself to death.
That would just about keep me in Guinness for the month anyway:drink:
As my Dad taught me: what we can't do today we will do tomorrow:)

I take a small salary (for the job level), but take a large bonus, calculated on EPS growth against the sector average for my industry. However, most of the cash comes from share price growth, which I draw down once a year on an as-needed basis. We're listed, so I need to not spook the shareholders too much, but I can usually find an institution to pick up whatever I want to offload.

Your point about work/life balance is spot on. Unfortunately, I'm wired that way - if something needs doing, I do it.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Up at 6am, at work by 7am, leave at 3:30pm, usually home by 4pm. As a contractor at a company who are really arsey about contractor hours (i.e. no overtime, not allowed to work on national holidays and not even allowed to make up time if you work a short day for some reason) I have really got into the habit of working 8 hours per day and not a second more and absolutely zero after hours work. If they want me to care, they can bloody well employ me and give me benefits.

Of course, I work in IT so in reality I probably do two or three hours of real work per day.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I take a small salary (for the job level), but take a large bonus, calculated on EPS growth against the sector average for my industry. However, most of the cash comes from share price growth, which I draw down once a year on an as-needed basis. We're listed, so I need to not spook the shareholders too much, but I can usually find an institution to pick up whatever I want to offload.

Your point about work/life balance is spot on. Unfortunately, I'm wired that way - if something needs doing, I do it.

Goldstone 1976 to be honest all that industry stuff went straight over my head:)
Iv'e been self employed for forty years--- If I do not find work and do it to the clients brief I die tomorrow.
We are both in the same boat tho---keep paddling :thumbsup:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
07:00 until 16:00 cannot remember the last time I had a break of any description then on call one week in seven 24/7

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I work 37-40 hours a week. If I am busy and work more I work less the following week(s). I'm keen ton work/life balance so try claw overtime back as time off and ensure I work 37-40 on average.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside are people able to switch off from work when they're finished? I'm generally good at this. I run in the morning so if something does need thinking about outside of the office I mull it over whilst pounding the streets. Knowing I have this me-time in the morning enables me to totally switch off in the evening.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
8 and a half hours. Rarely take more than 15mins for lunch though. First two and last two hours of the day generally have NOTHING happening and virtually nothing to do but it does get busy occasionally.

Today will be >12 hours but I'll get the difference back and more tomorrow; then 6 hours on Saturday which will get me about ten off on weekdays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here