Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Sherwood

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He's done virtually nothing to indicate he's going to be a good manager - he may well turn out to be, he is supposed to be a good training ground coach - he obviously thinks he should go straight in at the top. Learn your trade first matey.
Indeed. He had that short spell at Spurs when he did okay-ish. But apart from that? I'm not sure why he gets linked to every Prem/Championship job going. If I were a chairman/owner in the top two divisions, unless I wanted to take a punt that might not work out, I'd want to see a few more good jobs on the CV.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm keen to know who Tony Fernandes' "Dream manager" is, that he was banging on about yesterday.

That must have the QPR fans all-a-flutter. And then it'll turn out to be some unknown Spanish bloke :lol:

"Not been mentioned by the media"

Cappello. Or Michael Appleton. I'd be chuffed with either!!!

SAC

May 21, 2014
He seems to be interviewed by clubs who are perceived to be desperate. Maybe he thinks that he can use that desperation to make silly demands thinking they have no choice but to accept, but is then shocked when the club says no.

He'd be better off agreeing to a modest salary with a massive bonus if he can keep a club up or promote them, depending on who they are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm keen to know who Tony Fernandes' "Dream manager" is, that he was banging on about yesterday.

That must have the QPR fans all-a-flutter. And then it'll turn out to be some unknown Spanish bloke :lol:
Gus.

Gus to QPR.

He must surely be planning his exit strategy and a London job would be perfect for him. Pretty much nothing between QPR and Sunderland in the league after their recent match ???

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I get the impression that he's waiting for a job to come up that he believes is worth his brilliance.

As I can't see him being offered Real or Barca anytime soon I think he could be waiting a while.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think Sherwood has made a total cock-up of the moment when his stock was its highest through delusions of grandeur.

To walk in to Premier League clubs making all sorts of demands about budgets, back-up staff and everything else you basically have to be Mourinho in terms of proven ability as a winner. It's not even going to wash with decent Championship clubs.

Sherwood managed one Premier League club for a few months quite well. That is all. He didn't have time to show how he would cope with the various highs and lows you get as a manager 'over distance'.

He has been favourite, in many cases heavy odds-on favourite, for at least six jobs in the top two divisions this season (including ours), indicating several interviews.

But he cannot think that Spurs spell means he definitely gets the job of his dreams, it just doesn't. He should scale the expectations down a bit, take a good Championship job if he's lucky enough to earn his stripes, do what Poyet did.

We cannot be sure, but your assessment seems absolutely spot on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Someone give him a job and let's see how good he is. I get the impression he might just be an impact type manager like Di Cannio but hey. Let's see.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Entertaining blog/hatchet job on Sherwood here, where the author poses that very question:

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/desperate-times-call-for-tim-sherwood
Well they certainly didn't fancy holding back did they?

You're right though, it was entertaining!
I hope Sherwood's lawyers don't see that!!!
I'm no expert, at all, but was there anything in there presented as fact? I've not re-read it to look but it seemed to be more an opinion piece than anything libellous...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm no expert, at all, but was there anything in there presented as fact? I've not re-read it to look but it seemed to be more an opinion piece than anything libellous...

He seems fairly sure- see his Twitter feed- of his facts where the issue of him "undermining" Villas Boas is concerned. Other than that, it is mostly opinion, I'd say. But yes, funny too. And you can easily imagine it being true.

Writing "He is consistently dishonest" sounds pretty libellous to me! Even if it's true, how could the blogger prove that? And there are other derogatory comments that may or may not be true, I wouldn't know, but if I was a football club chairman and I was considering employing him that article would certainly make me wonder if he was the right person for the job.

And if I was Tim Sherwood I'd be on the phone to my lawyer.

I'm no expert, but I would have thought he would have a pretty solid case for defamation. Whether he would sue or not is another matter. If he did and he lost he'd not only have spent a shedload of money but he'd have lost any credibility in the football world. Even if he won he'd still be tainted by the old no smoke without fire syndrome.

Sherwoood's between a rock and a hard place, his best hope is probably to hope nobody important sees it. But I suspect that may be too late.

If someone posted an article on here like that Bozza would have a fit - quite rightly!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Writing "He is consistently dishonest" sounds pretty libellous to me! Even if it's true, how could the blogger prove that? And there are other derogatory comments that may or may not be true, I wouldn't know, but if I was a football club chairman and I was considering employing him that article would certainly make me wonder if he was the right person for the job.

And if I was Tim Sherwood I'd be on the phone to my lawyer.

I'm no expert, but I would have thought he would have a pretty solid case for defamation. Whether he would sue or not is another matter. If he did and he lost he'd not only have spent a shedload of money but he'd have lost any credibility in the football world. Even if he won he'd still be tainted by the old no smoke without fire syndrome.

Sherwoood's between a rock and a hard place, his best hope is probably to hope nobody important sees it. But I suspect that may be too late.

If someone posted an article on here like that Bozza would have a fit - quite rightly!

I missed the "consistently dishonest" bit, to be fair :)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sherwood would be well advised to take a job in the top half of the Championship at a club with a reasonable budget, if it becomes available. Away from the media glare to some degree and with a chance to prove what kind of coach and manager he is - and to learn a bit, too. There seems to be an assumption that he thinks he's the real deal, the finished article, and perhaps he really does think that, but he needs time to learn his trade.

I wouldn't have objected to him coming here but perhaps that was never a realistic option for either party.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Entertaining blog/hatchet job on Sherwood here, where the author poses that very question:

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/desperate-times-call-for-tim-sherwood

Bloody Hell! He didn't mince his words,did he? I also find it difficult to find anything appealing about TS, so enjoyed the article.
To me, there always seemed to be something strange about Levy not giving the managerial role to Sherwood, bearing in mind he actually didn't do too bad a job. But he clearly seems to have an arrogance issue, and the rather strange interview after Spurs 4-0 defeat didn't do much to help his cause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here