Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt "not focused enough"

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What you call vitriol I'd call genuine disappointment, well from my perspective anyway. We have needed him since Crofts got injured and I would have hoped he'd be man enough to step up to the plate. He hasn't, that is a big disappointment to me.

I don't begrudge him a move but until it happens he is still a Brighton player, he is letting the club and his team mates down imo (although I know Orlandi doesn't agree on that front)

I think in a lot of posts it has been vitriol.....and as regards to not stepping into Crofts place....so far its been one game!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think in a lot of posts it has been vitriol.....and as regards to not stepping into Crofts place....so far its been one game!

Exactly, how hard would it be to focus on playing football for one game? Players have bereavements and manage it, when you could totally understand them losing focus.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wonder whether Bridcutt will be able to get out of bed for tomorrow's game? If he is going to leave, what better way to do so than to turn in a cracking performance beforehand at Port Vale?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm really surprised at Liam's attitude TBH since, up to now, he has been the model professional. He should look to the example of Elliott Bennett, who left in the right way, and is rightly still in high regard with Brighton fans.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If he doesn't want to play for the Albion let him go for a fair price. All this must be unsettling on the squad and those players who do want to play for the club.

Liam has been a fantastic servant for the Albion and will be missed however if now is the right time to part company let him go and let Oscar focus on bringing in a replacement.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly, how hard would it be to focus on playing football for one game? Players have bereavements and manage it, when you could totally understand them losing focus.

I have no idea i have never played professional football.....yes some players do get through bereavements..some don't ...hardly makes him less of a man...and deserving of all this 'vitriol'

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I really don't get this vitriol towards Bridcutt. Nobody would begrudge him the chance to play in the Prem. He has had to consider whether to take that opportunity or remain with us. If that was an easy decision either way I doubt it would have affected his concentration. The analogy with others being demob happy once you handed in your notice is right. I've know many people that once they handed their boss the letter, their notice period is noticeably less productive. They still come to work, do the hours etc but not with the same focus. It's not a case of all or nothing as some suggest, there is a grey area. If Bridcutt was not focused enough and was played and subsequently made a mistake that cost a goal imagine the binfest on here.

Sorry but I don't buy all this not focused enough rubbish, If he had serious issues going on like family illness or death and such like then I'd understand it but just because he want's to move it becomes a convenient excuse. At the end of the day he's a highly paid professional and he should acting accordingly and if he's happy to be taking the medical treatment, training and team bonding sessions then he should be happy enough to pull on the shirt and play for the club and the supporters.
When I was able to work I allways had a cut off point on my journey where I stopped thinking about other things in life and focused on my job, The same applied on the way home where I switched off from work and started thinking about the rest of my life so I don't see why a footballer can't do the same when they cross the white line.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The other main difference is that the vast majority of people are not on short term contracts. In football, a transfer to a Prem team for a 3 yr contract could be the one that gives you financial security for life!

I agree. I'm as disappointed as anybody that he wants to leave, doesn't want to play but understands where he is coming from. I think I said this earlier but Bobby stayed with us from January onwards but he hardly put the effort in from that point so he might as well have gone in that window.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I'm wondering what'll happen if he doesn't leave in the transfer window. His head will be permanently in the wrong place and we'll have no choice but to let him have a few months off.

That or expect a highly-paid professional to do his damn job like the rest of us have to, no matter how distracted we might be.

Sorry to go off on one but this pampering and mollycoddling of apparently adult, yet still petulant and liable to flounce off, players makes all of football look terrible. I hope that somewhere behind closed doors he's had a fine and a bloody good dressing down about his terrible attitude.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm wondering what'll happen if he doesn't leave in the transfer window. His head will be permanently in the wrong place and we'll have no choice but to let him have a few months off.

That or expect a highly-paid professional to do his damn job like the rest of us have to, no matter how distracted we might be.

Sorry to go off on one but this pampering and mollycoddling of apparently adult, yet still petulant and liable to flounce off, players makes all of football look terrible. I hope that somewhere behind closed doors he's had a fine and a bloody good dressing down about his terrible attitude.

I'm sure that if LB doesn't leave during this window then he will play as well as he possibly can for the rest of the season - the problem is that, as you have pointed out, if he is 'distracted' then his best could well be of a lower standard than previously.

Football at the level we are playing at requires 100% focus and many individuals just don't have 100% control over their mind - going into a tackle it may well be impossible to stop thinking, "what if I get injured". It's not a matter of being unprofessional but just the way we are built.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He is a young and someone has potential offered him a chance to play in the prem and double, treble his money. Of course it will make an impact on his life, these guys live in an unreal football bubble and probably see the world differently from us. at least he has spoken up about it and not taken the shirt in match he doesn't want to play. It seems very black white from where we are but I think he should be cut a little slack on this one.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Albion are gearing themselves up for a potential Premier League bidding war for Liam Bridcutt in the final week of the January transfer window.

Sunderland remain favourites to reach an agreement with the Seagulls over the want-away midfielder, who is keen to be reunited with former Albion boss Gus Poyet at the Stadium of Light.

Bridcutt has also been monitored previously by the likes of Swansea, Norwich and Fulham, so Poyet could face competition for his No.1 January target.

Bridcutt is unlikely to be involved again in Albion's FA Cup tie at Port Vale tomorrow.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No play (work) no pay. It's what would happen to any one of the 20000plus supporters who pay towards his wages.

It is the club who are not asking LB to play, not the other way around, so it is perfectly reasonable that the club has to honour its contract and pay LB's wages.

If I have a contract with a company to carry out certain work and they decide that they don't want me to do it then I would rightly require them to honour their side of the contract and pay up despite the work not being done - otherwise there would be no point having a contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here