Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea and Norwich "on alert" as Garcia set to quit Brighton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Here's a totally hypothetical situation:

David Burke identifies five strikers as we know we are going to sell Barnes. Three are thrown out immediately leaving Grabban and Obika on the list.

DB: Who do you want?
OG: Grabban please
NJ: Obika please

Both are pursued but only one landed, the one the head coach really didn't want after all. Having realised this was an error Rodriguez who wasn't even on the original list is added when he becomes available due to being released.

Might be complete bollox of course but the point is Oscar probably has the final say in who we should target, NOT what we should pay them or their other personal terms.

Throw this into your hypothetical situation, that Grabban was offered a better contract at Bournemouth so the runner up suggestion was the one that both manager and assistant agreed on.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
awh feck.......i would personally love Oscar to stay and as mentioned elsewhere ditch the TAFF , i'm sorry , i have no granite info but the guy has zero pedigree so i struggle to see how he wins the respect of the players ....there is something wrong in the team at the moment , morale would appear to be shot.......at a critical part of the season...very strange..!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think OG would do well in the premiership. His preferred style of play will be much more suited there than it is in the Championship. IMHO, he is not the manager to get us out of this league. For me, if the story has some truth, it would be a win-win for us and whoever gets him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Throw this into your hypothetical situation, that Grabban was offered a better contract at Bournemouth so the runner up suggestion was the one that both manager and assistant agreed on.

There wasn't really a runner up though was there - we got a loaner in to see us through. The money is, I hope, being saved until the summer when there'll be far more time, more players out of contract, and we won't be able to be held to ransom by a championship striker and his agent.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This possibility may please quite a few Albion fans but not me. Hope it's nowhere near the truth but I can understand if Oscar feels he cannot work within the constraints of being the Albion manager. We have been frustrated but I imagine it is far worse for him and if he's still in demand...

it is my understanding that OG is the head coach(and I am not having a go here) and pointedly not the manager and maybe that is where the problem lies

to many coaches and no one managing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Well if you take four away from five you generally end up with one. Striker or no striker. Deal or no deal. The fact is that we lost Barnes and gained Obika. The supposition is no one apart from Jones rated Obika. I'm not stating any of this as fact. Merely using it as a tool to illustrate how we could end up with players the head coach wasn't happy with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've had the Chairman of the Board and the Director of Football make public statements that the last word goes to Oscar. Now unless I'm falling gullibly for a cunning ruse to keep me spoonfed and sanitised, what evidence beyond circumstantial (i.e. loan signings have been mediocre at best) does anyone have to doubt those senior figures within the club?

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

My wife says to my kids - "What doe you want to eat - it's pizza or sausage and beans". My kids choose pizza - technically they have the last word. The fact they really wanted fish fingers and were told to eff off doesn't come into it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Well if you take four away from five you generally end up with one. Striker or no striker. Deal or no deal. The fact is that we lost Barnes and gained Obika. The supposition is no one apart from Jones rated Obika. I'm not stating any of this as fact. Merely using it as a tool to illustrate how we could end up with players the head coach wasn't happy with.

spot on
and you are right he is the head coach not the manager .............we don't have one of those

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So every player brought in, is who Burke thinks is a good player and good enough to go on a short list. Not done to well this season then has he?

I don't think any club signs players they don't think are good enough, but every club ends up with a few that don't make the grade.
I am very happy with Ward, Upson, Dale Stephens, Lingard, and Chicksen has looked ok, Jury out on Rodriguez.
On the down side, Kemy is looking a bad buy, but it isn't his ability thats poor, Andrews is fairly average, Obika was a poor deal for everyone, and Lita did not get used but I am not sure he was a bad loan signing.
I don't know if there is a separate scouting team for development squad players but Ince, March and Walton are fairly recent additions that we should all be well pleased with.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Here's a totally hypothetical situation:

David Burke identifies five strikers as we know we are going to sell Barnes. Three are thrown out immediately leaving Grabban and Obika on the list.

DB: Who do you want?
OG: Grabban please
NJ: Obika please

Both are pursued but only one landed, the one the head coach really didn't want after all. Having realised this was an error Rodriguez who wasn't even on the original list is added when he becomes available due to being released.

If, in your scenario, Grabban is who OG wants (while at the same time, he doesn't want Obika), Jones' point of view becomes immaterial.

However, if Oscar is prepared to believe Jones' opinion about Obika (though I don't believe for a second that it was only Jones' opinion that was sought when acquiring him), he might well run with it. It doesn't follow that Jones had the final say.

Might be complete bollox of course but the point is Oscar probably has the final say in who we should target, NOT what we should pay them or their other personal terms.

So Oscar has the final say in who the club attempts to acquire - what's your point?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

My wife says to my kids - "What doe you want to eat - it's pizza or sausage and beans". My kids choose pizza - technically they have the last word. The fact they really wanted fish fingers and were told to eff off doesn't come into it.

Exactly

New players to the club this season:
Craig Conway, Leroy Lita, Adem Chicksen, Stephen Ward, Keith Andrews, Kemy Agustein, Jonathon Obika, David Sanchez, Dale Stephens, Jeffrey Monkana and Jesse Lingard.

Which of these are the pizza/sausage and which of these are the fish fingers?
I cant really believe any of those are in the fish finger class.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Sorry - a public statement from the Chairman and from the Director of Football doesn't mean anything?

fatshats

Feb 23, 2012
Oscar might do OK at Swansea where the "Barcelona" way has been played for a long time and they have some players capable of playing it. Not so sure about Norwich.

The problem with him at Brighton is that we are trying to play a very technical system with players who are not good enough. Watching Gordon Greer at Barnsley on Saturday spraying the ball around the park like he was blindfolded is all the proof you need of this. And he's our captain.

We would be more productive playing 4-4-2. We might let more goals in but we'd score more as well, and goals excite fans, give them value for their money (a lot of money) and might help create an atmosphere inside the AmEx rather than the embarrassing library silence we're getting these days (not from the North Stand but everywhere else). I felt it under Poyet, and it's the same with Oscar - our players are frightened of losing possession, and for this reason we attack in a ponderous, building fashion, rather than really going after teams, and this doesn't yield enough of a return. Only six clubs in the league have scored fewer goals than us. I know we've been unlucky with injuries, and we really miss Bridcutt (name one player who looks like a leader out there now), but either bring in the players who are capable of playing like Barcelona, or bring in a manager who is capable of playing like Leicester or Burnley. And who looks like he cares instead of standing there with his hands in his pockets and never talking to any of his players.

This was in a BBC article on ten factors behind Leicester's promotion:

"In an era when confusing formations, meticulous planning, complicated systems and tactics and endless statistical analysis are seen as way to guarantee success, Pearson's side seems to benefit from mixing the no-stone-unturned, behind-the-scenes approach with stunningly simple but effective tactics. The 4-4-2 has worked wonders for most of the season, providing a solid spine and the basis for their success. A confident and very loud goalkeeper, strong and imposing centre-backs, a solid dependable midfield with more than a little quality - and plenty of pace and nous out wide and up front. Simple but effective."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry - a public statement from the Chairman and from the Director of Football doesn't mean anything?

Have you never heard of the "The Dreaded Chairman's Vote Of Confidence"?

Board members tend to do their best work in the boardroom behind closed doors. When they're quiet things tend to be going well. It's when make public statements that I start to worry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If, in your scenario, Grabban is who OG wants (while at the same time, he doesn't want Obika), Jones' point of view becomes immaterial.

However, if Oscar is prepared to believe Jones' opinion about Obika (though I don't believe for a second that it was only Jones' opinion that was sought when acquiring him), he might well run with it. It doesn't follow that Jones had the final say.

So Oscar has the final say in who the club attempts to acquire - what's your point?

Fairly much what I said to Thunderbolt. Final say in who they attempt to acquire and who they end up bringing in is different. If all your first choices fall through you can end up left with Hobson's Choice. Besides you didn't say attempt to acquire in your first post, you said "final say".

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I think Obika was probably at the top of Burke's most wanted list before Oscar was even appointed. We were after a season long loan knowing CMS and Hoskins would be out of action for most of the season. Obika picked up an injury which meant we didn't get him on loan until January and so we endured the disappointment of Lita being a failure too.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oscar might do OK at Swansea where the "Barcelona" way has been played for a long time and they have some players capable of playing it. Not so sure about Norwich.

The problem with him at Brighton is that we are trying to play a very technical system with players who are not good enough. Watching Gordon Greer at Barnsley on Saturday spraying the ball around the park like he was blindfolded is all the proof you need of this. And he's our captain.

We would be more productive playing 4-4-2. We might let more goals in but we'd score more as well, and goals excite fans, give them value for their money (a lot of money) and might help create an atmosphere inside the AmEx rather than the embarrassing library silence we're getting these days (not from the North Stand but everywhere else). I felt it under Poyet, and it's the same with Oscar - our players are frightened of losing possession, and for this reason we attack in a ponderous, building fashion, rather than really going after teams, and this doesn't yield enough of a return. Only six clubs in the league have scored fewer goals than us. I know we've been unlucky with injuries, and we really miss Bridcutt (name one player who looks like a leader out there now), but either bring in the players who are capable of playing like Barcelona, or bring in a manager who is capable of playing like Leicester or Burnley. And who looks like he cares instead of standing there with his hands in his pockets and never talking to any of his players.

This was in a BBC article on ten factors behind Leicester's promotion:

"In an era when confusing formations, meticulous planning, complicated systems and tactics and endless statistical analysis are seen as way to guarantee success, Pearson's side seems to benefit from mixing the no-stone-unturned, behind-the-scenes approach with stunningly simple but effective tactics. The 4-4-2 has worked wonders for most of the season, providing a solid spine and the basis for their success. A confident and very loud goalkeeper, strong and imposing centre-backs, a solid dependable midfield with more than a little quality - and plenty of pace and nous out wide and up front. Simple but effective."

great first post
said it all along OG would love to play a system like Spain, problem is the players are not capable of that
players understand 4-4-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here