Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Oscar really leaving ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think he will - the club have an option to extend his deal by a year. Also, OG clearly rates him; since his return from that op, he's nearly always been the go to man on 60-70 mins to run at tiring defenders.

Hope to see him start a few more games now. Maybe they were just protecting him from further injury.

I hope you are right and that he does want a new deal. He seems to be one of very few players who (outwardly at least) seems to give a damn.

The reason that he may want to leave though, is precisely because he IS the man that Oscar turns to, to try to change a game after 60/70 minutes. He has said himself that he is fed up with being an 'impact player' and wants to play from the start.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As I understand it, Oscar is happy here, as is his family.

Source? His wife.

All well and good and I hope it is true, having seen them myself tottering round Rottingdean a few weeks ago all seems well.......

Although that all goes out the window when a premiership team, with premiership money come knocking on the door and to be fair both clubs mentioned have a similar ethos to us regarding set up.....

So loyalty lies with money in this day and age for everyone.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I expect Sunderland to come down and I expect Gus to try and pick up Ulloa, Buckley and possibly Lua Lua. These are three players we need to keep because they are quality and can change games. I feel we can get away with feeding in more kids providing they can keep it tight and the three players I mentioned stay and create / convert chances.

It would appear that money prevented Conway and Grabban signing in the previous window, in which case that doesn't bode well for the summer transfer window.

I hope that if Sunderland do go early our Gus-bound players don't lose focus.

If the sponsor has spoken to somebody at the club about the clubs strategy, that's likely not a secret at all. It's just that most of us don't get the chance to speak with people in the know. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

The Daily Mail aren't exactly carrying the torch for cutting edge journalism are they?

No one loathes the Daily Mail as much as me - but that's because their reporting is politics and agenda driven, not that they are bad reporters. In fact, they are among the best paid and professionally credible in Fleet Street.

If the Daily Mail had some axe to grind against the club, I'd understand the scepticism but they don't really, do they? They have been told by someone they judge to be credible that Oscar is not happy. The Mail wouldn't just "make it up" - that's to misunderstand what's wrong with their journalism.

Now the source of course could have some axe to grind - unsettling Oscar - but the article mentioned not one club but two, Swansea and Norwich - I think it's unlikley they would collude to tap Oscar up. So that for me throws the focus back on a source close to Oscar, as the cliche goes.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This is all well and good to a point. However what happens if we DO go up this season? I can't think there are many in the DS who are Premier League ready. In fact, of the current crop I'd stick my neck out and say Ince could just about cope and that's it. JFC is League One standard at best. March? The jury's out. Certainly a prospect but inconsistent, unsurprising given age and experience. Dunk I would say is already part of the 1st team though I couldn't see him starting regularly in the Premier League.

agree with all you have said
Oscar is not my favourite coach(coach I really do not like that word)maybe if we are going to stay with him it should be manager.
and as you say if we make it to the premiership ,who can argue with his credibility.
players and yes a good clear out of the dross even if we go up would be right, maybe keeping Andrews who is a leader, Ward who is a good steady full-back and I believe better and cheaper than Bridges and if we can afford it with premiership payments Lingard and talking of premiership payments using some of that to buy good young players and with this I believe we will have a great chance of doing OK in the top division.
and if we don't make it this time I will go along with the present management for another season .......THERE I HAVE SAID IT ...... that does not mean I have every confidence in them but am willing to give them the benefit.
I just hope that Munchkin is right, it does all sound very plausible and the post fits in with what has already happened

heres me putting all the eggs in one basket
we will see
till I die

Last edited:

Had a very interesting conversation last night with someone who has been involved with the club in various capacities for the past 20 years (mainly as a club sponsor) will pass on what he told me...

Basically Bloom has instructed Barber and Burke to pretty much take over control of player recruitment, contract negotiations and the whole scouting network at the club, Bloom wanted a total change in the way that the club was structured and basically tasked Burke with 'cleaning up after Gus' part of that was to dispose of the players that were pro Gus (and verbally pro Gus) and at the same time ensure that the club progressed youngsters through both the academy and U21 setups, hence the progression and transition of the likes of Ince and March.

He also informed me that there will be significant changes in the summer, both within the structure of the club and also in terms of the playing squad, expect to see more of the players inherited by Gus to depart and expect to see further progression from the youth setup and increased investment in bringing in younger players to the club but within the development squad initially.

Oscar was fully aware of Blooms intentions prior to taking on the role of head coach and was also aware of the clubs long term commitment to FFP, he bought into developing the younger players and progressing them through the club and also accepted the days of spending 3 million on a player (CMS) was not in the clubs short term plans (driven by Gus under the old structure) and that whilst investment was still available and the playing budget actually increased, the clubs priority was to have the club on a steady footing financially but also to remain competitive on the pitch.

He was adamant that Bloom will not gamble with the clubs future, he won’t gamble on promotion by spending beyond the clubs means and Bloom is very much looking at the long term goal and development of the club at every level, ensuring the club is 'Premier League Ready' and setup to sustain that level rather than experience it and suffer as a consequence of it.

Finally, despite what you read in the press, Oscar is exceptionally happy at Brighton, he and his family are settled and enjoy life in England, he is very much part of the long term plan and understands his role within the clubs structure, expect to see big changes in the summer, Oscars influence grow in time but at present the focus is 'moving on from Gus' and that’s why Burke and Barber are heavily involved in the mandate given out by Bloom.

In Bloom I trust and in Oscar I believe.......

I guess the $64,000 question is can we get promoted by a coach/manager that has so little power and influence over transfers/squad building compared to his counterpart at other clubs.

Am wondering now if the slogan on this London St Pauli banner should be put up over the Amex North Stand:

https://twitter.com/StPauliLondon/status/447360679721594880/photo/1

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I expect Sunderland to come down and I expect Gus to try and pick up Ulloa, Buckley and possibly Lua Lua.

To be honest I can't see them wanting any of them maybe at a push Buckley, but Ulloa and Lua, Lua are not any better than what they already have. Sunderlands current strike force for instants, anyone of them is worth far more than Ulloa.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No one loathes the Daily Mail as much as me - but that's because their reporting is politics and agenda driven, not that they are bad reporters. In fact, they are among the best paid and professionally credible in Fleet Street.

If the Daily Mail had some axe to grind against the club, I'd understand the scepticism but they don't really, do they? They have been told by someone they judge to be credible that Oscar is not happy. The Mail wouldn't just "make it up" - that's to misunderstand what's wrong with their journalism.

Now the source of course could have some axe to grind - unsettling Oscar - but the article mentioned not one club but two, Swansea and Norwich - I think it's unlikley they would collude to tap Oscar up. So that for me throws the focus back on a source close to Oscar, as the cliche goes.

It seems more like a bit of tranfer gossip. How many other managers will be linked with those jobs before they fill them? And are we going to take every single one as seriously i.e assume there is a reliable source and it's not just repeating what they've heard in order to fill a bit of space in the paper.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I kind of hoped we had got over this league one standard/lower championship standard player crap, it is utter nonsense, just ask the captain at lower league Bournemouth, or his sidekick.

Then again look at how Bridcutt is struggling at Sunderland or how the scum unloaded Dobbie the second they went up. We have some Premier League Ready players. I don't think it's that controversial to point out that JFC isn't one of them and March might not be.

larus

Had a very interesting conversation last night with someone who has been involved with the club in various capacities for the past 20 years (mainly as a club sponsor) will pass on what he told me...

Basically Bloom has instructed Barber and Burke to pretty much take over control of player recruitment, contract negotiations and the whole scouting network at the club, Bloom wanted a total change in the way that the club was structured and basically tasked Burke with 'cleaning up after Gus' part of that was to dispose of the players that were pro Gus (and verbally pro Gus) and at the same time ensure that the club progressed youngsters through both the academy and U21 setups, hence the progression and transition of the likes of Ince and March.

He also informed me that there will be significant changes in the summer, both within the structure of the club and also in terms of the playing squad, expect to see more of the players inherited by Gus to depart and expect to see further progression from the youth setup and increased investment in bringing in younger players to the club but within the development squad initially.

Oscar was fully aware of Blooms intentions prior to taking on the role of head coach and was also aware of the clubs long term commitment to FFP, he bought into developing the younger players and progressing them through the club and also accepted the days of spending 3 million on a player (CMS) was not in the clubs short term plans (driven by Gus under the old structure) and that whilst investment was still available and the playing budget actually increased, the clubs priority was to have the club on a steady footing financially but also to remain competitive on the pitch.

He was adamant that Bloom will not gamble with the clubs future, he won’t gamble on promotion by spending beyond the clubs means and Bloom is very much looking at the long term goal and development of the club at every level, ensuring the club is 'Premier League Ready' and setup to sustain that level rather than experience it and suffer as a consequence of it.

Finally, despite what you read in the press, Oscar is exceptionally happy at Brighton, he and his family are settled and enjoy life in England, he is very much part of the long term plan and understands his role within the clubs structure, expect to see big changes in the summer, Oscars influence grow in time but at present the focus is 'moving on from Gus' and that’s why Burke and Barber are heavily involved in the mandate given out by Bloom.

Well, if that's the case, it's bloody great new. Sorry, I mean bloody GRATE news.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sunderland will lose Fletcher and Adam Johnson because they're too expensive, Borini will probably return to Liverpool or get another Prem gig, Ki will go back to Swansea. Altidore is rubbish. That will leave them with Connor Wickham, who is good at Championship level. Players like Buckley and Lua Lua are EXACTLY what Gus will need in the Championship.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Oscar really leaving?

I feckin well hope not.

The last person this board needs, to gain affirmation is Kevtherev.

If one of his wild ramblings happens to to true 'we' will NEVER hear the end of it.
And by 'we' obviously I mean 'I'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Understandable

I hope Orlandi and Calderon get new deals, and we don't sell Ulloa

Excellent

I trust in them too.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
All well and good and I hope it is true, having seen them myself tottering round Rottingdean a few weeks ago all seems well.......

Although that all goes out the window when a premiership team, with premiership money come knocking on the door and to be fair both clubs mentioned have a similar ethos to us regarding set up.....

So loyalty lies with money in this day and age for everyone.

The same could be said for every football manager outside the premier Shirley?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is Oscar really leaving?

I feckin well hope not.

The last person this board needs, to gain affirmation is Kevtherev.

If one of his wild ramblings happens to to true 'we' will NEVER hear the end of it.
And by 'we' obviously I mean 'I'.

two flair managers leaving consecutively, sighting the transfer budget/policy as their reason.........oh ****ing dear ,looks like we are destined for the likes of Holloway , O'Driscoll and that little scottish ****er from Forest that we all adore........:down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He also informed me that there will be significant changes in the summer, both within the structure of the club and also in terms of the playing squad, expect to see more of the players inherited by Gus to depart
Are you saying Calde will be told to move on?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
two flair managers leaving consecutively, sighting the transfer budget/policy as their reason.........oh ****ing dear ,looks like we are destined for the likes of Holloway , O'Driscoll and that little scottish ****er from Forest that we all adore........:down:
I guess a happy Kev would be a minor blessing for the rest of us.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I expect Sunderland to come down and I expect Gus to try and pick up Ulloa, Buckley and possibly Lua Lua. These are three players we need to keep because they are quality and can change games. I feel we can get away with feeding in more kids providing they can keep it tight and the three players I mentioned stay and create / convert chances.

Ulloa, absolutely.

Buckley, Lua Lua and may I throw Orlandi in to the mix? are our 3 most creative attacking forces. And yet, between the 3 of them, there is always at least 1 absent through injury. I hate to slate a Brighton player, and I'm not going to, especially as Buckley and Orlandi are 2 of my favourites, but can we really afford to have such important players so injury prone? Much as I'd hate to see them go, I can't help feeling we need some more consistent perfomers of their ilk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here