Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's an amazing statistic, I just looked up he stats during those 13 matches. Average of 40 with the bat and 25 with the ball, whilst his figures have worsened, I still feel he could play a role in this England side.

Fully fit, he's an outstanding cricketer. One of the best performances I've seen from an England bowler when he justified the decision to drop Finn in the Melbourne test in that series. He was pacy, naggingly accurate and swinging the ball round corners.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Moeen joins the party!!!

What a poor shot from Sharma... drives at a loopy, slow one... straight to Broad at mid off.

210-5

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea - Day 3

India 214-5

2 more wickets and 106 runs in 28 overs, again England pretty happy with that I would think.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Suicidal from Rahane... toe ended a wild pull at a long hop from Moeen Ali. Skied it to the young substitute fielder at mid-on ! :laugh:

217-6

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Rahane GONE

That's a BIG wicket

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
New ball 8 overs away, so 24 with it today. Perfect to skittle them out, enforce the follow-on and have 4 or 5 at them with the next new ball tonight.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
New ball 8 overs away, so 24 with it today. Perfect to skittle them out, enforce the follow-on and have 4 or 5 at them with the next new ball tonight.

I'm with Boycott. I don't think they'll necessarily enforce the follow on. If we get them out soon, it's probably better to rest the bowlers for most of a day and belt the ball all over the ground, thereby batting India out of the game. Then let them try and survive 1.5 days on a worn pitch.

Anyway, captains innings from MSD coming up. :nono:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I can't see England enforcing the follow on, even if they do get the chance. Some quick runs, and get them back in on a wearing wicket, with time for a new ball on the last afternoon... but that's all a pipe dream at the moment with Dhoni and Jadeja in charge.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm with Boycott. I don't think they'll necessarily enforce the follow on. If we get them out soon, it's probably better to rest the bowlers for most of a day and belt the ball all over the ground, thereby batting India out of the game. Then let them try and survive 1.5 days on a worn pitch.

And you know what'll happen? Cook will declare with a lead of at least 100 more than we need, the pitch will be dead on Day 5 and they'll bat out the day for the draw.

I'd enforce the follow-on. It doesn't matter if Jordan and /or Woakes are bowled into the ground in this match because we have other bowlers we can bring in for the 4th test if necessary, similarly Ali won't bat again in this match so bowl him long, it'll give us a good chance to assess how good he actually is and he can tie up an end. Anderson and Broad shouldn't have to bowl more than 18 overs each tomorrow to break the back of this match.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And you know what'll happen? Cook will declare with a lead of at least 100 more than we need, the pitch will be dead on Day 5 and they'll bat out the day for the draw.

I'd enforce the follow-on. It doesn't matter if Jordan and /or Woakes are bowled into the ground in this match because we have other bowlers we can bring in for the 4th test if necessary, similarly Ali won't bat again in this match so bowl him long, it'll give us a good chance to assess how good he actually is and he can tie up an end. Anderson and Broad shouldn't have to bowl more than 18 overs each tomorrow to break the back of this match.

It's not about whether Jordan or Woakes are crocked for the 4th test, it's whether or not they can be effective in the second innings of this one. And 3.25 days of constant bowling/fielding is a big ask.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and if Anderson is banned and Broad's knee finally does him in??

Anyway.. the new ball has been taken 238-6 (80 overs)

Anderson on for his 19th over

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION], I don't think we'll win the test unless we enforce the follow-on if the option is there. Even on a wearing pitch, it's looking like you need 4 or 5 sessions to take 10 wickets on this track.

Not enforcing the follow on also opens up the defeat as if they bowl us out cheap, they'll have a total to chase. Enforce the follow on, they'll look to be careful for most of their 2nd innings, so the likely outcomes given we've got 2 days left will be an England win or a draw. That said, India could set us a chase of 140 or so and I wouldn't put it past England to be all out for 120 in 2 sessions...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here