Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think we’ve played a blinder here. Showing interest in Pritchard was a smokescreen and gave the hurry up to Reading to sell us Norwood. Well done recruitment team.
You're a glass overflowing kinda guy. I think it's unlikely we were just pretending to be interested in Pritchard and we wouldn't have leaked it. And Reading didn't have to hurry up, they could see we missed out on Pritchard already, that we had £8m to spend and that we could be getting desperate. Fortunately we got the deal done.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Its far less than they sold Nathan Redmond for. Are they not allowed to use that money to replace him? :shrug:
They've shifted some huge wages too by moving on Van Wolfswinkel and Turner, also they're going to lose Brady which will land them an absolute wedge.
To be honest, whilst I'm fuming about parachute payments, all 3 relegated teams have sold players for good money.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
The trouble with the Premier League is that it does not differentiate between outstanding and mediocre. Both ends of the spectrum are financially rewarded.

The knock-on is that players and agents don't really have to worry. The most bang average player can have a dire season, get relegated and still get picked up by a team next season. And on and on and on.

When will the day roll around that football as a business is treated like literally every other business on the planet (except maybe banks) wherein poorly performing workers are fired, not given f**king pay-rises.

This. Nail meet head. Aren't Clubs promoted to the PL from the Championship already rewarded with a payment of something like £170m? I think they come in staggered payments & all PL Clubs get the same but for a small town Club without a multi millionaire owner bankrolling them (and obviously Burnley are the prime example of this) it's a very welcome boost that used well would allow a Club to make a few quality signings to stay in the PL

Why are Clubs then 'compensated' when relegated with three seasons of further high payments for the loss in TV rights, revenue from higher attendance's etc for failing? If a Club wants to remain in the PL then win more games. Don't rely on hoping to luck it out. You've had £170m to invest in your squad so should've done. Stop feeding them more substantial pay outs which gives them an edge over most other Championship Clubs when relegated

I just don't get why poor performances are rewarded this way. If I didn't make a fist of my job I know for certain my boss wouldn't say 'never mind....here's a big pay rise for 3 years to make up for it'. I'd probably be reprimanded & told to improve or I'm out

That's my big beef with Parachute payments. They reward failure or not being good enough & that's inherently wrong. It needs looking at when it affects other Clubs who have to compete with their own resources not a golden ticket to the chocolate factory (not an innuendo!!)

Yo yo Clubs (Burnley again, QPR & WBA till recently for example) have benefited over other Club's in the Championship by gaining promotion to the PL then seemingly just being happy to be there to make numbers up then when relegated enjoying the financial incentives. I doubt it's a Club's strategy to fail & they'd like to stay in the Prem longer so...bolster your squads with the promotion pay out & go for it

Parachute payments need looking into. Why are we even giving them out? The three relegated Clubs return to the Championship with an unfair financial advantage to most Championship sides for not being good enough or giving it their best in the top division. It's wrong & doesn't make for an even field

As for Pritchard let's get over the fact he didn't keep to his word & instead with probable touting by his agent chose money over a verbal agreement. We don't want such an untrustworthy player regardless of what he has to offer as a player

Naylor has used the word apparent to cover himself over an illegal approach. As I've said before if Norwich approached AP without approval from Spurs to sneak in that would make it illegal. We did it the proper way but Spurs aren't complaining - maybe Norwich paid a higher down payment than we offered.

Let's move on & get behind Norwood & welcome him to Brighton. He plays a more pass & move game, can get stuck in & is a threat from set pieces. It does concern me about Stephens future here as they have a similar style. Our best two signings now would be extending his & BK's contracts. Then bolster defence

Shane Duffy is available in our price range & Blackburn need cash. He'd be an asset to improve us at the back IMO. More so if we work on his distribution as he's not been used as a ball playing centre back

Keep positive folks. We're going in the right direction :)

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
This is a typical example of why parachute payments are so wrong! and it gets abused in this way.

The whole idea of offering parachute payments was to allow the relagated club time to adjust, and offload higher earning players without bankrupting the club.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They've shifted some huge wages too by moving on Van Wolfswinkel and Turner, also they're going to lose Brady which will land them an absolute wedge.
To be honest, whilst I'm fuming about parachute payments, all 3 relegated teams have sold players for good money.

Newcastle have a net spend of -15 million, and you have just mentioned Norwich's off loading.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the answer is to scrap the present parachute payment system and make the money available over the season on application like a grant from the local council.
Exactly. With a points deduction if you take it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exactly. With a points deduction if you take it.

And refused if your expenditure is deemed to be excessive with you making no provision for cutting it back. Which clubs would vote for that though as all in The Championship bar about 6 have benefitted from parachute payments and most of the Premier would want them to stay.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
And refused if your expenditure is deemed to be excessive with you making no provision for cutting it back. Which clubs would vote for that though as all in The Championship bar about 6 have benefitted from parachute payments and most of the Premier would want them to stay.

Or just drop parachute payments altogether. players pay should be relative to the division their in. Premiership footballer = premiership money, Championship footballer = Championship money. I believe some clubs already do this, Burnley,Sunderland etc. Just another excuse to reward failure by the rich elite at the expense of the majority of league clubs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or just drop parachute payments altogether. players pay should be relative to the division their in. Premiership footballer = premiership money, Championship footballer = Championship money. I believe some clubs already do this, Burnley,Sunderland etc. Just another excuse to reward failure by the rich elite at the expense of the majority of league clubs.

I agree but stands even less chance than mine of being accepted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can we stop whinging about parachute payments. If we had them we"d be fecking delighted and don't deny it!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I hope he rots in Norwich's reserves. We have been well and truly played by Pritchard and his agent. I know this goes on all the time in football but it makes me sick.

Well I hope history is about to repeat itself. Because the last time a player did that to us, the player (Lewis Grabban) eventually went to Norwich, and from then on his performances spiralled rapidly downward.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Can we stop whinging about parachute payments. If we had them we"d be fecking delighted and don't deny it!!

Nope I'm going to deny that.

I would hope that Bloom and Barber would continue to run this club with sound financial footing in mind should we ever go up rather than spinning millions on agents and mercenaries safe in the knowledge we have a net to drop back into.

I've said it before: that is a piss poor way to run a business.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope I'm going to deny that.

I would hope that Bloom and Barber would continue to run this club with sound financial footing in mind should we ever go up rather than spinning millions on agents and mercenaries safe in the knowledge we have a net to drop back into.

I've said it before: that is a piss poor way to run a business.

Hang on, so we carry on spending like we are even when we have millions being handed to us? I agree that we shouldn't go crazy in the Premier League but I was referring to parachute payments which we'd only get when relegated. I imagine Bloom would love to be able to compete with Newcastle et al on a level footing. We would definitely up our spending dramatically in this scenario, in an attempt to get back to the El Dorado of the Premier League.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
:thumbsup: Hope you have another great season in the Premiership (and hope we see you there next year)

Cheers! We'll see. Should be really tough again, I'd be happier with another Centre back tbh, although Nathan Ake looks very good in that defensive mid role to help them out.

Would be great for South coast footie to have everyone in the PL!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here