Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Personally I'm not too upset it's fallen through. £8m is a huge amount for a boy that's not played that much competitive football and has a hint of sick note about him.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I know Tony thinks it's inevitable, but I would prefer B&HA to never ever receive a penny of parachute payments. Unless paid to them by a Club for one of B&HA players.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Cheers! We'll see. Should be really tough again, I'd be happier with another Centre back tbh, although Nathan Ake looks very good in that defensive mid role to help them out.

Would be great for South coast footie to have everyone in the PL!

Except Pompey #twats

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Can we stop whinging about parachute payments. If we had them we"d be fecking delighted and don't deny it!!
People seem happy to bleat on about £120 million prize for the premier league but the parachute payments is what that is based on and the only thing that makes promotion attractive. The alternative would be an utterly closed shop in the premier league or clubs going out of business on relegation. They dont reward failure but reward the success of promotion previously.

Its not fair on clubs like Brighton when FFP is selectively applied, I think that is a far greater evil, the clubs which broke FFP not being held to account, they are actively in the wrong not Norwich spending money from getting promoted and transfer sales.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Personally I'm not too upset it's fallen through. £8m is a huge amount for a boy that's not played that much competitive football and has a hint of sick note about him.

Neither am I. We're Good at 4-4-2 and could be great with a goal scoring machine to partner Murray or Hemed.Besides I always thought that would be our Irish wonder boys position if we went 4-4-1-1. A blistering paced striker please.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
This. Nail meet head. Aren't Clubs promoted to the PL from the Championship already rewarded with a payment of something like £170m? I think they come in staggered payments & all PL Clubs get the same but for a small town Club without a multi millionaire owner bankrolling them (and obviously Burnley are the prime example of this) it's a very welcome boost that used well would allow a Club to make a few quality signings to stay in the PL

Why are Clubs then 'compensated' when relegated with three seasons of further high payments for the loss in TV rights, revenue from higher attendance's etc for failing? If a Club wants to remain in the PL then win more games. Don't rely on hoping to luck it out. You've had £170m to invest in your squad so should've done. Stop feeding them more substantial pay outs which gives them an edge over most other Championship Clubs when relegated

I just don't get why poor performances are rewarded this way. If I didn't make a fist of my job I know for certain my boss wouldn't say 'never mind....here's a big pay rise for 3 years to make up for it'. I'd probably be reprimanded & told to improve or I'm out

That's my big beef with Parachute payments. They reward failure or not being good enough & that's inherently wrong. It needs looking at when it affects other Clubs who have to compete with their own resources not a golden ticket to the chocolate factory (not an innuendo!!)

Yo yo Clubs (Burnley again, QPR & WBA till recently for example) have benefited over other Club's in the Championship by gaining promotion to the PL then seemingly just being happy to be there to make numbers up then when relegated enjoying the financial incentives. I doubt it's a Club's strategy to fail & they'd like to stay in the Prem longer so...bolster your squads with the promotion pay out & go for it

Parachute payments need looking into. Why are we even giving them out? The three relegated Clubs return to the Championship with an unfair financial advantage to most Championship sides for not being good enough or giving it their best in the top division. It's wrong & doesn't make for an even field

As for Pritchard let's get over the fact he didn't keep to his word & instead with probable touting by his agent chose money over a verbal agreement. We don't want such an untrustworthy player regardless of what he has to offer as a player

Naylor has used the word apparent to cover himself over an illegal approach. As I've said before if Norwich approached AP without approval from Spurs to sneak in that would make it illegal. We did it the proper way but Spurs aren't complaining - maybe Norwich paid a higher down payment than we offered.

Let's move on & get behind Norwood & welcome him to Brighton. He plays a more pass & move game, can get stuck in & is a threat from set pieces. It does concern me about Stephens future here as they have a similar style. Our best two signings now would be extending his & BK's contracts. Then bolster defence

Shane Duffy is available in our price range & Blackburn need cash. He'd be an asset to improve us at the back IMO. More so if we work on his distribution as he's not been used as a ball playing centre back

Keep positive folks. We're going in the right direction :)

Regarding parachute payments, I understand your antipathy towards these but I'd like to correct you on one inaccuracy.

You imply, that under the new TV deal, a promoted team gets "£170 million" and then, despite relegation, is rewarded for failure with "further" parachute payments.

Whoever finishes bottom of the PL this coming season will actually get around £100 million and if relegated a further £75 million over the next three years (Year 1, £36m, Year 2, £28m, Year 3, £11m).

These figures are provided by the usually reliable "Swiss Ramble" blog.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looking back over the past couple of years at clubs that went back up who had parachute payments

Net spend:

Burnley £3 million
Hull - £20 million

Norwich - £1 million

QPR - £2 million

Obviously things like wages are not included in that, but the last few promotions show they are not spunking the payments on player transfers.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Well I hope history is about to repeat itself. Because the last time a player did that to us, the player (Lewis Grabban) eventually went to Norwich, and from then on his performances spiralled rapidly downward.

And he had also played for Brentford as it happens. And he's still at Bournemouth, unlike (say) Muzza...

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Has there been any further comment or suggestion as to what this "illegal approach" was actually all about? Anything concrete that Bloom could take up with the powers that be, or was it just the Argus having a paddy? It read like a throw away comment, but it should be serious if true.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has there been any further comment or suggestion as to what this "illegal approach" was actually all about? Anything concrete that Bloom could take up with the powers that be, or was it just the Argus having a paddy? It read like a throw away comment, but it should be serious if true.

Makes no difference to us fans, Pritchard has signed for Norwich. End of story for me

If we get to the transfer window closing without losing any first team players that will do for me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Makes no difference to us fans, Pritchard has signed for Norwich. End of story for me

If we get to the transfer window closing without losing any first team players that will do for me.
Use the Pritchard money to help bring in Kodija or Assombalonga, and it'll be "Alex who ?"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Should be serious if not true.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Regarding parachute payments, I understand your antipathy towards these but I'd like to correct you on one inaccuracy.

You imply, that under the new TV deal, a promoted team gets "£170 million" and then, despite relegation, is rewarded for failure with "further" parachute payments.

Whoever finishes bottom of the PL this coming season will actually get around £100 million and if relegated a further £75 million over the next three years (Year 1, £36m, Year 2, £28m, Year 3, £11m).

These figures are provided by the usually reliable "Swiss Ramble" blog.

Cheers lancy but I didn't refer to TV rights in the £170m promotion prize money. From sites I'm looking at they're telling me that promotion to the Premier League is rewarded by an instant payment of £170m which rises to an incredible £290m should relegation be avoided

Are you telling me Burnley weren't awarded £170m? I know that even the bottom Club benefits with a £100m payment on relegation

If you've not had your cheque for going up yet that explains the lack of signings you lads are racking up lol

Ok no more posts on this thread for me. Pritchard's not worth it. Norwood is one of ours now so let's welcome him

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I remember when Trevor Francis was the 1st £1M player, how everyone gasped

Now in 2016, £8M is the 'norm' for average Championship players like Pritchard? How can this be?

They talk of £68M for Lukaku - utter madness!

We were told clubs could go bankrupt not so long ago.

Football is a dreadful sport to follow now, the dreary Euros, and I actually turned off the Man Utd v Everton game last night - it was THAT BAD!

For all the money, it has become a borefest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here