Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady Signs for an Undisclosed Fee (Updated)

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Personally I think I'd prefer to take a gamble in retaining Hoskins!

Yes, I know what'll get said! However he was unlucky with genuine injuries and when fit had a bit of class. At the end of the season I wouldn't have kept him. However unless there is something very different about to happen, he's as good as we're going it get...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poor bloke. Not even here yet. I'd probably turn around and go back if I was him and saw this thread.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yes, I know what'll get said! However he was unlucky with genuine injuries and when fit had a bit of class. At the end of the season I wouldn't have kept him. However unless there is something very different about to happen, he's as good as we're going it get...

Ironically he will probably be signing for Barnsley this week, maybe as COGs replacement.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Ironically Hoskins is on trial at Barnsley!

I'd rather save the wages on O'Grady (who I have seen a few times) and give Fenelon a chance. Just can't see why Sammi would go after such a player, or maybe he's been told by the club this is all they are willing to fund - bit worrying and supports the fact that we must be strapped for cash (with The Argus also reporting that a bid of £300k was turned down by Bristol City for Baldock - and he was their top scorer!). Can't believe privately that Sammi is happy with what's going on behind the scenes.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Ironically Hoskins is on trial at Barnsley!

I'd rather save the wages on O'Grady (who I have seen a few times) and give Fenelon a chance. Just can't see why Sammi would go after such a player, or maybe he's been told by the club this is all they are willing to fund - bit worrying and supports the fact that we must be strapped for cash (with The Argus also reporting that a bid of £300k was turned down by Bristol City for Baldock - and he was their top scorer!). Can't believe privately that Sammi is happy with what's going on behind the scenes.

Yeah lets sell our top striker and replace him with a kid who hasn't kicked a ball for our first team yet. People want promotion or at least challenging for it. You are not going to get that with playing kids or signing over the hill players. I'm not moaning but we need to wake up a bit. I'm gobsmacked at the level of spending in the Championship this season already. If we are not careful we will be left well behind on the playing field. Our squad is probably at it's weakest point when Leo goes since we started playing at the Amex. It is a worry because fans will question the clubs ambition on the pitch. Off it it's spot on but ultimately people want to see a winning team.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I know you can't just go by stats but he looks seriously shithouse.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Should we only be signing absolute superstars then? Why would someone like that come to play second fiddle to Ulloa / Ulloa's replacement? Seems a solid signing to me, don't forget we need to replace Barnes, Hoskins and Ulloa, not just Ulloa.

Quite...a lot of posters on here need to get their elitist heads out of their rear ends and start thinking a bit more about Championship football.
Ings, Vokes and Barnes doesn't exactly look the most stunning front three but they were good enough to secure PL football. When Vokes was here he looked pretty ordinary but get the system right and the confidence high and players can thrive. COG is a good pro and won't let us down.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Poor bloke. Not even here yet. I'd probably turn around and go back if I was him and saw this thread.

Some of the reaction from our fans has been disgusting. Writing him off before he's even signed FFS. It's a wonder anyone wants to sign at Brighton with the support shown by its 'FANS'.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For info - The Ulloa thread was mostly positive when his transfer was first announced but there was plenty of this...

Another class striker ... Ala Holroyd, Paynter etc,etc No thanks Gus

He will be an OK player, but if we are serious about promotion/play offs he is not our guy.

Stop buying mediocre players that will probably make little difference to the overall team who would probably be dumped if we ever got promoted anyway

If he becomes an Albion player, great, just don't expect too much

another player none of us have heard of but just seen clips of on YouTube and automatically assume he's brilliant only to turn out like Sandaza, Baz, Battipiedi etc..

Can he do it on a cold, wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some of the reaction from our fans has been disgusting. Writing him off before he's even signed FFS. It's a wonder anyone wants to sign at Brighton with the support shown by its 'FANS'.

It's not HIS fault though. It's the boards ambition, or rather their expectations not matching the investment

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Shock horror here is a positive post !!! He is a bloody good player, remember him for Rochdale a few years back and said to my son that he was the best hold up forward that I had seen at that level. Also last year he was good against us, think you will be pleasantly surprised about how good he is. 7 million in the bank and A good replacement ? Happy enough here

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst desperately trying to save every penny they can, I find it quite unlikely they will want to extend a 30 year olds contract, especially when he's a) probably a very high earner b) never really shown he's good enough.
I don't agree that he's not good enough. He didn't fit into Gus's style well, but still scored when. He'll suit Sami's style better. We've been writing off over £10k per week for his transfer fee, so if we extend his contract for a year it'll be costing us more than £10k / week less than it has for the last few years.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Shock horror here is a positive post !!! He is a bloody good player, remember him for Rochdale a few years back and said to my son that he was the best hold up forward that I had seen at that level. Also last year he was good against us, think you will be pleasantly surprised about how good he is. 7 million in the bank and A good replacement ? Happy enough here

But no ones never even heard of him!?
He's a journeyman.
He's UNINSPIRING.
He personifies this club's lack of ambition.
He's not even a top Premier League striker!
He's not Glenn Murray (who we won't mention any more)
[end of sarcasm]

We've just sold a striker for SEVEN MILLION POUNDS and people are acting like this is the only player we're buying and the transfer window closes tonight. It's just amazing to me that people think like they do sometimes. If at the start of the season we still haven't signed anyone and we lose our opening 5 games, scoring 0 goals in the process... then I could understand the criticism. But until then, people really REALLY need to chill the **** out.

When/who we sign isn't that important to me. We could sign Billy Paynter again for all I care, just as long as Sami gets the team winning! And we won't know if Sami can get the team winning until we start the season. It's that simple. Calm down!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
But no ones never even heard of him!?
He's a journeyman.
He's UNINSPIRING.
He personifies this club's lack of ambition.
He's not even a top Premier League striker!
He's not Glenn Murray (who we won't mention any more)
[end of sarcasm]

We've just sold a striker for SEVEN MILLION POUNDS and people are acting like this is the only player we're buying and the transfer window closes tonight. It's just amazing to me that people think like they do sometimes. If at the start of the season we still haven't signed anyone and we lose our opening 5 games, scoring 0 goals in the process... then I could understand the criticism. But until then, people really REALLY need to chill the **** out.

When/who we sign isn't that important to me. We could sign Billy Paynter again for all I care, just as long as Sami gets the team winning! And we won't know if Sami can get the team winning until we start the season. It's that simple. Calm down!

I think the term you are looking for is BEDWETTERS.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For info - The Ulloa thread was mostly positive when his transfer was first announced but there was plenty of this...

Good work, archiving that. Sadly there's a few fans down here who are disappointed we didn't outbid Barca for Suarez. I hope he's not the only striker we sign, but for so little of a fee I'd sooner we bought him than took endless loanees to warm the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here