Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fan here

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think there's more chance of that if we go down, he'll feel less inclined to stay but will still have proven himself by getting to Wembley (hopefully more than once)

Hi Dan. Welcome to our site. Always like intelligent debate with away fans, and you seem to fit the profile.

You will not go down this season. Trust me.

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
His Ego is bigger than most clubs, including yours, and it's no surprise your DOF was sacked soon after Gus got settled, he doesn't do bosses. I believe that the reasons Gus was wanting out of here was that he had people above him that he wanted removed, and the Chairman disagreed. He saw off the first DOF appointed, he lasted just 3 months.

If he keeps you up he will expect an increased budget, if he thinks the budget is lower half, he will mention this frequently, either as a reason for not being very high in the table, or as an example of how good he is if you are higher in the table than your budget ought to allow you to be. If you have a bad spell and he hears any criticism from the stands he will sulk and tell you that he can stay home and play Golf if his efforts are not appreciated.
You will forgive him his tantrums and over inflated ego because every now and then your team will play like Barcelona, and generally he will be doing a good job. It is likely that he will have learned a little from his experience here and not make such an arse of himself when he wants to move on, but I would not be surprised if his eventual departure from Sunderland involves some amount of animosity.

Though he may have had some sort of input towards the decision, I don't think Di Fanti was sacked because Gus wanted him to be. It is likely to have been down to the numerous amount of terrible signings he made, reportedly without the consent of Di Canio.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The other thing is that before the famous match of the day denial TB had spoken to him personally. Not his agents / lawyers.
That's not difficult to believe.

However, it's just about impossible to believe that Gus asked to leave 'NOW' between the two play-off games. He would have wanted to win that second game, and he'd have wanted to win at Wembley, because it would have been great for his CV. He'd have known without question, that no owner would ever consider letting a successful manager go (let alone pay off their contract) in the middle of the play-offs. The season was over, and no other club was in need of him at that time.

What's somewhat more believable, is that he made it known that he wanted to leave whatever the result.

But even if Tony's brother or someone closer to Tony than his brother told you this, I don't believe them, because it's simply unbelievable.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Though he may have had some sort of input towards the decision, I don't think Di Fanti was sacked because Gus wanted him to be. It is likely to have been down to the numerous amount of terrible signings he made, reportedly without the consent of Di Canio.

By the time we play you (if) you could be bottom of the table away to Arsenal next week and no league game the following week due to Man City cup final, so others around would have played two league games against your 0 points from Arsenal game
"Just saying like"

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
Hi Dan. Welcome to our site. Always like intelligent debate with away fans, and you seem to fit the profile.

You will not go down this season. Trust me.

Thank you [MENTION=181]Blackadder[/MENTION], both for the compliment and your apparent optimism. Out of interest, what makes you so sure?

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
By the time we play you (if) you could be bottom of the table away to Arsenal next week and no league game the following week due to Man City cup final, so others around would have played two league games against your 0 points from Arsenal game
"Just saying like"

Very true, what's your point though?

Edit: I have no idea if you're allowed to post twice in a row on here, but even if you can't I don't how to delete things, so forgive me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The new bloke we've got in is quietly getting on with the job and doing alright, so what is done is done as far as I'm concerned regarding Poyet. He did a decent enough job with the good resources he was provided with and we kind of knew it was always going to be a messy ending, Gus isn't the type to go quietly.

Like Brighton, supporting Sunderland has never been the glamorous option so good luck to you. Enjoy the trip down if we get the result tomorrow.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

However, it's just about impossible to believe that Gus asked to leave 'NOW' between the two play-off games. He would have wanted to win that second game, and he'd have wanted to win at Wembley, because it would have been great for his CV. He'd have known without question, that no owner would ever consider letting a successful manager go (let alone pay off their contract) in the middle of the play-offs. The season was over, and no other club was in need of him at that time.

What's somewhat more believable, is that he made it known that he wanted to leave whatever the result.

But even if Tony's brother or someone closer to Tony than his brother told you this, I don't believe them, because it's simply unbelievable.

Might be difficult to believe but if you believe one half of both sides then absolutely true. Given the fact that the person I refer to is blue and white through and through and rather wealthy and influential I know where my money lays. Up to you though what you believe I only know what I was told and it took away every ounce of admiration and gratitude that I ever had for our former manager.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Might be difficult to believe but if you believe one half of both sides then absolutely true. Given the fact that the person I refer to is blue and white through and through and rather wealthy and influential I know where my money lays. Up to you though what you believe I only know what I was told and it took away every ounce of admiration and gratitude that I ever had for our former manager.

One of the things I admire about the club is that the dirty linen wasn't washed in public but now you say you've been told, as has BW, so it seems that isn't the case. It doesn't explain why Tanno & Charlie were also suspended.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
One of the things I admire about the club is that the dirty linen wasn't washed in public but now you say you've been told, as has BW, so it seems that isn't the case. It doesn't explain why Tanno & Charlie were also suspended.

Well that's another question and one I have no answer to.nwhen talking about Gus there was openness and honesty but when Charlie was mentioned it was a closed shop. Only assume there were still legal matters pending.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thank you [MENTION=181]Blackadder[/MENTION], both for the compliment and your apparent optimism. Out of interest, what makes you so sure?

Because at the end of the day, Poyet is a bloody good manager. You are an established Prem side with the players that go with it. The teams that are promoted don't have that to fall back on.

I think Fulham and Cardiff are doomed. (The third manager at Fulham this season may succeed, who knows?)

Remember we were struggling against relegation, from League One, when Gus took over.

I help run Mid Sussex Seagulls and have met Gus. Nice bloke but I am not happy in the way he left. As others have said, if a prem side had come in and asked permission to speak to him, he would have gone with our blessing and been a hero in our eyes. THAT semi at home against the lot up the M23 will leave a sour taste in the mouth for a long time.

Make the most of him, whilst you have him. You guys would have gone down under Di Canio.

Cheers

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You might be right, but Gus has form for not getting along with anyone in this position.

DanSAFC

Feb 16, 2014
[MENTION=12225]MacKenzie[/MENTION] - That much is true, I'm sure we will, considering how good the option is compared to going to Hull (everything but the distance is better!)

YOURE GOING DOWN :thumbsup:

We'll soon see I suppose, although I sincerely hope you're wrong!
[MENTION=181]Blackadder[/MENTION] - We most definitely would, I sometimes wonder if we would have broken the record for number of points, because I don't think there would have been many players still willing to play for him by now. Hopefully Poyet is with us for as long as possible, because we won't find anyone nearly as good for a long while afterwards, imo.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't know anything, but I would not put it beyond Gus to have a tantrum at the most inappropriate moment.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Mr Gus Poyet, a man that can spilt so many Brighton fans straight down the middle like no other, a man that can change fans views of him at any given minute, at any given comment.
Kept us up in league 1, won the league next season for us as early as September.
1st season in championship finish just off the playoffs, then next season lose in the playoffs to our arch rivals after a quite brilliant season of highs and lows. Then get suspended & supposedly fired on national t.v. Threaten to take us to court, then after taking over Sunderland, our possible quarter final F.A cup opponents.
MR GUS POYET, an egotistical, manipulative, but quite brilliant barsteward :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mr Gus Poyet, a man that can spilt so many Brighton fans straight down the middle like no other, a man that can change fans views of him at any given minute, at any given comment.
Kept us up in league 1, won the league next season for us as early as September.
1st season in championship finish just off the playoffs, then next season lose in the playoffs to our arch rivals after a quite brilliant season of highs and lows. Then get suspended & supposedly fired on national t.v. Threaten to take us to court, then after taking over Sunderland, our possible quarter final F.A cup opponents.
MR GUS POYET, an egotistical, manipulative, but quite brilliant barsteward :)

He's like a junior Mourinho. (And we all know where he would like to finish up)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Might be difficult to believe but if you believe one half of both sides then absolutely true.
That sounds like a riddle, and I have no idea what it means. I don't trust Gus, and wouldn't believe any story he chose to tell. The only reason I don't believe what you've been told is because it makes no sense.

Given the fact that the person I refer to is blue and white through and through and rather wealthy and influential I know where my money lays. Up to you though what you believe
I believe common sense more than man's ability to re-tell a tale. The person that told you (and I'm assuming what you say is true) is Brighton, and puts Brighton first. Like me, that means putting TB before Gus. It's possible that what he's told you is based around the truth, without being pedantically 100% accurate. It's also possible that what they were told was not completely accurate. For example, if Gus had made it known that he wanted out after the playoffs (for whatever crazy Latino reason), that could have been twisted as it got relayed between the different parties in the know. A simple 'I need to move on regardless' can turn into 'Gus wants out now' etc.

I don't know anything, but I would not put it beyond Gus to have a tantrum at the most inappropriate moment.
Indeed - but there were two days between the two play-off games - that's two days of preparation, and it wouldn't have even made sense for Gus to have meetings with his bosses about in that time. But even if he did, and he can be impulsive, he's not an idiot, and it would have made no sense for him to demand to leave (and be paid in full) between those two games. The whole suggestion is completely mad.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I loved him; then he came out after losing to our most hated rivals & said what he said. "I have to think of myself, blah blah".

Lost ALL respect that moment. Felt totally shat on by our own manager.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He was a manager that stayed with us for over 4 years, far longer than most managers in the Championship or for that matter any of the leagues.

If he does for you what he did for us then I suspect you will be incredibly happy - four seasons with each ending with the club in a higher position than the season before - and then sacked!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here