Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fan here

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Has he started talking in your pre match interviews about a desire to managed the opposition? He did that on what seemed a weekly basis with us angling for a 'bigger' move. All got rather tedious.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The dressing room thing was largely blown out of proportion. The problem is, if he had been poached by Sunderland as a Premiership team and gone with our blessing, he would have left a Brighton legend. Unfortunately having lost to our fiercest rivals he came out with some very egocentric comments about reconsidering his future and "hitting a ceiling" with Brighton when in fact we could have been 90 minutes from the Premier League if we'd won that game. Then, rather than just firing him, we did the dignified and respectful thing of suspending him and asking him to attend a disciplinary - i.e., followed employment law. He refused to turn up, went on the BBC, and appeared to lie on national television saying he didn't know he'd been sacked, as the club maintain he did know. Either way, he ruined a lot of goodwill with the selfish way he acted. He is a guy who divides opinion (your fans love him at the moment because you're doing well - give it time). I personally still thank him for what he did for the club but think he showed an amazing disrespect for a club that gave him a shot at management, and financially supported him very well, a trust and loyalty most first-time managers don't get.

Spot on. Poyet's radio comments made within 30 mins of that horrible defeat were ill timed and disrespectful to the fans. About 35 years earlier and in a similar position Mullery said we'd come back even stronger. We did and pipped Sunderland for promotion to Div 1 the next season. He's great until something goes wrong - he has such a high opinion of himself that he blames everyone else

How's Tanno doing? the only one I'll clap.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Obviously with the draw comes the chance that Poyet will face his old club, and I was reading through here to see what the general consensus was on that. It seems that you, lets just say, don't like our manager much. But I was wondering why exactly? I never really read much into the situation that got him sacked (all I recall was an incident in Crystal Palace's dressing room in the play-offs?) and have no real idea on what terms he left. Just wondering, any insight would be appreciated.

Good luck tomorrow by the way, hopefully you can upset Bruce a bit for us.

The upshot is fundamentally GP is a good manager and helped our club not only in the style of play he brought in but he also made us successful which we cannot take away from him however when push came to shove he really let us down when it counted most which left everyone with a bad taste in there mouths. He like most managers will always be looking to progress there carers but he did this in a way that gave very little regard to his employers at the time this inc touting around for other jobs with other clubs in the public domain. Leeds Utd being one example. Straight after the play off semi final in the post match interview where we were totally outplayed at home to our arch rivals Palace he decided to say that he felt he had taken the club as far as it could go which was a double blow at the time and unnecessary in the eyes of most fans. Then there seemed to be a stale mate between our chairman Tony Bloom and Gus which ran on into the start of this season which in short has impacted where we sit in the league to this day so not only did we loose out last year we have been hit by the knock on of this carry on to date. This includes unsettling Will Buckley and ultimately selling Liam who IMO was our best player. Its never really been spelt out by the club exactly what went on because before he took the job at Sunderland it was looking like ending up in a court case. There was and still is a lot of guess work by fans and the media as to what exactly went on so most of this is calculated guesses. IF we beat Hull tomorrow and we meet Sunderland in the cup it will be a very odd atmosphere where I expect GP will get a very mixed response from our fans and no doubt the media will gleefully unpick all the wounds that have nearly healed from last summer. Part of me doesn't want it to happen but part of me does either way I can tell you for sure our players will be well up for it and the stadium will be rocking.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
He's a very good manager and he turned this club around. Unfortunately the way that he departed left a sour taste and football fans tend to have very short memories.

IF we do progress, I won't be giving him the attention he craves either by booing or applauding him. Frankly, I'd be quite embarrassed if there were boos. All of my energy would be directed at Oscar and the lads.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Wait until the job at Newcastle opens up and Poyet announces what a big club they are and how he would love to manage them 'one day'.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Interesting question, contrary to what most may say on here Poyets game was no where near a good as that of the late 70s team that won promotion to and stayed in the old first division. Why is there hostility to Poyet, here s a few facts that you may or may not know:
1. When down to 9 men against Burnley two years ago, he walked up the tunnel and didn't appear for 45 minutes.
2. Made such comments as' its boring managing a team like this that can't score goals', he set the team and the game plan.
3. In the run up to the play offs sat motionless on the bench giving no encouragement to the team at all.
4. Was outsmarted by Wurzel.
5. Failed to meet his post season obligations in sorting out a retained list.
6. Lied on national television about not knowing his status with the club.
7. Whored himself out to Reading, Wolves, Leeds and anyone who he thought he had a chance with ie, Chelsea and other overseas teams where he was punditing.
8. Disrespected his chairman, Tony Bloom is like no other chairman I know and is a tolerant and patient man.
9. Blamed the club for reaching its ceiling with no more money, this year with three development squad players in the team we are one point ahead of where he was at this stage last season.
10. Boring, boring, boring, his style has already cost Sunderland 6 home points against Villa and Hull, that is the incessant, without option playing the ball out from the back in that slow and pedantic way.

He is not as some might have a legend, but just another who is passing through. As time goes by you people up there in the north will see the real Poyet as its coming down the tracks towards you. Get back to us at the end of the season.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
10 November 2009 - Great start, very happy with Gus
Next season - absolutely fantastic, always anxious that he'd be snapped up by a bigger club.
Next season - very good 1st season in the championship, still anxious that he'd be snapped up by a bigger club.
Next season - great to get into the play-offs but the further into the season the less anxious I became that he'd be snapped up by a bigger club.
After the play-offs - very annoyed with his demeanor and attitude and was not at all sorry to see him go.
I don't hate him and I'm grateful for the good times but he blotted his copybook and left a nasty taste behind.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ill boo him, a lot. The way he acted in the build up to the Palace match was pathetic. Like I've said before, his dummy spitting behaviour cost us potential promotion, telling the players he was off, messing their heads up on the biggest night for our club for YEARS. Done good things, no, great things for our club but he ****ed it all up in the space of a few days. I want to beat Sunderland, and see them go down and beat them again next year.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Good manager, but behaved like an arse when things weren't going his way (budget, career, and whatever else may have happened). Liam Bridcutt is a similar case, good player for us and will improve further, but when a player effectively withdraws his labour whilst earning great money when compared to the fans he can feck off!

If they had left us in a reasonable way I, and many others, would applaud them back onto our pitch should the footballing gods dictate that we make it through to the 6th round.

As it is, it may be the most hostile The Amex can be, except for Palace of course!
That about sums it up for me as well....saved me from writing the same article...Well said WQW

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Gus Poyet is a great manager and promoted us to the position we are now. But his head was turned at a critical time in our season. The team lost the game against our fiercest rivals but it was the way he conducted himself before and after the game was too much for the chairman...board....majority of the fans to swallow.
You can almost see into the future and be certain a scenario akin to ours will happen at Sunderland when Chelsea come calling!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Obviously with the draw comes the chance that Poyet will face his old club, and I was reading through here to see what the general consensus was on that. It seems that you, lets just say, don't like our manager much. But I was wondering why exactly? I never really read much into the situation that got him sacked (all I recall was an incident in Crystal Palace's dressing room in the play-offs?) and have no real idea on what terms he left. Just wondering, any insight would be appreciated.

Good luck tomorrow by the way, hopefully you can upset Bruce a bit for us.

Saints fan here (changing the subject slightly).

I'm still smarting after yesterday. Really disgusted by the way we performed. Our manager didn't seem to care and that showed in the players. Were fu*king 8th in the Prem on 39 points. No danger of relegation and the cup was a far easier way of getting into Europe.

How we let this chance of cup success slip through our season is beyond me. All due respect but given your team selection we should of comfortably won. You saw how well we could play a month ago at your ground.

Feel totally dillisioned by our team now.

Got a ticket for the Brighton game tomorrow. Gutted its not the one that tees up a Bton Saints 1/4 final.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I feel that the reaction of Albion fans will depend on Gus's attitudes ahead of the fixture - after his acrimonious departure I'm not exactly expecting him to gush about us, but if he has the good grace to say some respectful things (maybe not about our Club) but at least the fans then I think most would give him more of a positive reception.

However if Gus is daft enough to 'up the anti' or sulk then a) it would be a pity and b) the gloves would be off.

No doubt the media will give Gus plenty of opportunities for a soundbite or two and would be very surprising if Gus doesn't oblige.

Despite the inevitable focus on Gus it is our duty to support our manager and therefore it is far more important to show our support for Oscar very, very loudly - even if he hasn't got every Albion fans juices flowing just yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting question, contrary to what most may say on here Poyets game was no where near a good as that of the late 70s team that won promotion to and stayed in the old first division. Why is there hostility to Poyet, here s a few facts that you may or may not know:
1. When down to 9 men against Burnley two years ago, he walked up the tunnel and didn't appear for 45 minutes.

Stopped reading after this massive inaccuracy. He disappeared for about 5 minutes.

Poyet was by far the best manager of my Albion supporting career, but towards the end of his tenure he did get very tiresome. Talking about how 'big' Leeds were and how he would love to manage them in a vital game at the end of the season when we were looking to cement a play off spot, allegedly turning up 45 minutes before the 2nd leg of the play off semi final, the 'ceiling' remark, and what now transpires as clubs are recording their companies house accounts, as lying about our budget. In my mind, he progressed the Albion massively, and when I hear the other 2 names that were competing for the Brighton job when he got it, I am glad we got him.

He will always be a successful person I feel, down to his nature and kind of person he is, but he is so ambitious, and really, all he wants is the Chelsea/Spurs job. Anything else is a stepping stone, and he isn't afraid to show it or say it.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
What a lot of people don't know which I have posted before is that days before the palace 2nd leg Gous told Tony he wanted to leave NOW. He also wanted his contract payed up in full. Tony refused of course so Gus the Ego refused to deal with the players. That is why he was in breach of contract.

Info from the best source possible.

Also for info Bridders and Ego share the same agent, separate I know but worth a mention.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Very well put, Brighton Mod. I like Sunderland and have done ever since, years ago, I saw them beat Leeds in the Cup Final at Wembley - I was amongst their fans, who were great. However, although Poyet did well for us, he spoiled it all in the latter months he was with us and, for the reasons given, my opinion of him nose dived. It would be a shame for the fans if Sunderland are relegated but a little bit of me would be glad.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What a lot of people don't know which I have posted before is that days before the palace 2nd leg Gous told Tony he wanted to leave NOW. He also wanted his contract payed up in full. Tony refused of course so Gus the Ego refused to deal with the players. That is why he was in breach of contract.

Also for info Bridders and Ego share the same agent, separate I know but worth a mention.

He asked to leave before the Palace game in March not the playoff. Source Tony Bloom.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Your best source, is wrong there. He did that before the Palace game on Paddys day. Tony Bloom confirmed this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here