Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Would love to see an underground system from Shoreham to Peacehaven and inland to Mile Oak Hangleton Patcham Hollingbury Falmer Woodingdean etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shirley encouraging this sort of scheme makes more sense than a pie in the sky tram system.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...re-scheme-mobike-launches-in-rainy-manchester

Edinburgh was onto a winner with their tram:-

Construction began in June 2008, and after encountering delays it opened on 31 May 2014. The scheme had an initial estimated cost of £375 million in 2003, but by May 2008, when contracts were signed, the cost had risen to £521 million. The final cost after delays was £776 million.

This does beg the question....what is the city's long term transport strategy? Does it have one?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
If you think Brighton on the decline come up to the Midlands. When I moved to Leicester 12 years ago for University there were loads of good pubs but now there are probably on 3 or 4 in the whole city I would be willing to visit.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Parking. Tourists have to pay £30 for 8 hours. Cutting the price wont change anything as the car parks are full anyway. A decent P&R system clearly signposted on the outskirts would help. 1000's now use the train but that's another thread.
As for the seafront being dirty, full of beggers and a building site.
Dirty - the people who refuse to use the bins have to be blamed. Council run a faily good service of road sweepers.
Beggers - this is more like organised crime. They arrive early evening in their 4x4's and have 'plots' that they sit at. All have mobile phones and expensive clothes under the rags. But earn £100's every night. Quite possibly the highest earners on the seafront. Rough sleepers are homeless people and rarely beg.
Building site - over the past 15 years I've had water replacement (Kings Road closed 18 months), gas replacement (Kings Road closed 18 months), street repairs and new lighting (Kings Road closed 18 months), hole in road (Kings Road closed 18 months), i360 (Kings Road closed 18 months) and now the shelter at the bottom of West St with barriers up for 36 months. Always signs saying "Making Brighton Better" until they finish and someone else comes along.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have lived in our city for all of my 50 years but:

..... & it will continue to slide until a Conservative Council & Conservative MPs are in situ (IMO) which I cannot see happening for many a year ..

There have been Conservative MPs and council for most of your 50 years - it doesn't seem to have made much difference

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There have been Conservative MPs and council for most of your 50 years - it doesn't seem to have made much difference

They pulled the plug on The Gehry project...that made a huge difference.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They pulled the plug on The Gehry project...that made a huge difference.

Well yes, they were also responsible for the loss of the West Pier, the closure of the ice rink and the monstrosity that's the Brighton Centre. There was even a plan to knock down the Pavilion and build a car park, fortunately that one never left the drawing board but Conservative councillors have generally been bad news for B&H.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Anymore than a couple of pints of Punk and you're done for IMO. I can't even comprehend drinking 5 and I'm WELL good at boozing.

Innit, I had two pints yesterday and was proper merry on my walk home.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Was a lot cleaner, more conservation, better transportation, affordable transportation, on side of local businesses & an actual strategy for the City. Is there one now?

Don't tell me. The larks sang every morning as the Sun shone down upon us all.

I know I will regret this but, what was their actual strategy for the City?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not sure it will be a Burger King. This has gone on so long the planning laws have changed in the meantime-

http://www.firstplan.co.uk/news/new-planning-rules-pubs/

As of May this year changing a pub to a restaurant / takeaway requires planning permission. If BK apply I imagine there will be quite a few objections and planning permission is likely to be refused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Was a lot cleaner, more conservation, better transportation, affordable transportation, on side of local businesses & an actual strategy for the City. Is there one now?

I think you might have rose coloured specs on .... or should that be blue ? The council hasn't controlled the cost of buses for decades since de-regulation and councils of every colour have allowed taxi fares to increase stupidly - hence why Uber ( allowed by a Labour council ) are taking so much business from the local firms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the new pub theme what's The Albion in Hove like after its refurb? Did they keep the lovely old frontage?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On the new pub theme what's The Albion in Hove like after its refurb? Did they keep the lovely old frontage?

Unfortunately the refurb imho was nothing more than a quick makeover and all they have achieved is to lose the "regular locals" and replaced with the yummy mummy brigade complete with buggies scattered everywhere!!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It seemed innocent. Just a bunch of clowns "riding the subway....."

Burger-King-Come-Out-To-Play-Funny-Mcdonalds-Meme-Image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here