Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the offer Knocky but can't do any park runs this week. The plan is to go out late tomorrow then again Sunday as struggled with the heat this week. Good your back in your trainers, I'll head over in a couple of weeks if your about.
Good luck @St Leonard's Seagull tomorrow I'm struggling to go sub 21 sub 20 seems impossibly fast.

Much better plan as you need to prioritise for your 10k. I've only one Saturday left for a full out effort, September the third. 3 weeks in France after that and going long for 1066 after that. I will aim for a couple of 5k full outs in November, before my 6 weeks in the Himalayas. Such a pain these holidays getting in the way..............

Walking the 1066 way course on Wednesday. Will stick it on Strava to show the gradients. Looks flat with a hill near Battle.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I prefer it when you run after working all night! Good effort and hope you get the official sub 20. Your progression suggests you'll have a lot of sub 20s to come.
Your running away from me like the elusive Mr Banana, who we saw this morning. He's on fire.
Minute down for me today.Meant to take it easy but it was a hard return to running and wouldn't have helped the Harmonica as a pacer at a 21:20

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I prefer it when you run after working all night! Good effort and hope you get the official sub 20. Your progression suggests you'll have a lot of sub 20s to come.
Your running away from me like the elusive Mr Banana, who we saw this morning. He's on fire.
Minute down for me today.Meant to take it easy but it was a hard return to running and wouldn't have helped the Harmonica as a pacer at a 21:20

Was great to meet you, congratulations on a quality run

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Much better plan as you need to prioritise for your 10k. I've only one Saturday left for a full out effort, September the third. 3 weeks in France after that and going long for 1066 after that. I will aim for a couple of 5k full outs in November, before my 6 weeks in the Himalayas. Such a pain these holidays getting in the way..............

Walking the 1066 way course on Wednesday. Will stick it on Strava to show the gradients. Looks flat with a hill near Battle.

I feel for you. All these holidays must be so tedious. Good prep for Himalayas and run, I'll study your recce on strava.
Focus for me now on next Sunday and nephew. 3rd looks a good option.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Park run results in 20:00 so still no sub 20 5k. A bit disappointed to be honest as I could definitely think of a couple of seconds lost.
Still there's next time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Park run results in 20:00 so still no sub 20 5k. A bit disappointed to be honest as I could definitely think of a couple of seconds lost.
Still there's next time.

Definitely a next time. Now you have an idea how Adam Gemili feels after losing out on an Olympic Bronze medal in the 200m yesterday. Pipped by 0.003 seconds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Big night tonight. We get to compare our parkrun times with the Olympic 5k...............

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Big night tonight. We get to compare our parkrun times with the Olympic 5k...............

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My ancient PB is 'only' 4 mins 42 seconds away from Mo's 13:03. Current best 7 mins and 16 seconds off the mark and making every Olympic 5k entrant over 50% quicker.

Great race. The jostling for position so important. Mo leading for that last lap was a great effort. Constantly looking behind for threats, which could have lost him the race.

26 seconds of the World Record and 10 seconds of Mo's PB. Won't mention drugs as it's only Russians who take them.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Day 86 today of planned 100 not sure if I'm gonna make it. I managed to dislocate my shoulder last night and it's all strapped up.
I haven't tried running yet, but I'm going to try to dose up on painkillers and try a very easy mile on treadmill later. Foolish I know but I'm so close.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Day 86 today of planned 100 not sure if I'm gonna make it. I managed to dislocate my shoulder last night and it's all strapped up.
I haven't tried running yet, but I'm going to try to dose up on painkillers and try a very easy mile on treadmill later. Foolish I know but I'm so close.

You may need to warn up the keys to call me an asshole, but I feel like I want to say something at this point. Running 100 consecutive days for the sake of doing so is crazy, and I just can not imagine why you would choose to do it. But if you then suffer a serious injury, to carry on regardless is crazy. I've been reading a lot of articles about running, the science of running and articles written by runners themselves and all of them talk about listening to your body and knowing your body. I'm training for a marathon at the moment, and I'm determined to follow the plan very strictly but I've had to move today's run to tomorrow because my right knee is feeling sore and weak after the work I've done already this week. I did a full weight session today instead, and will hope to crack back on with the progression run tomorrow instead.

I question the wisdom in forcing yourself to go out for a run with a serious injury, however close to the arbitrary number you've set yourself as a target. If you do go out, or get on a treadmill, I wish you well, of course, but that's crazy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Followed up a decent parkrun with a sub-80 min 10 miles. Delighted to see my pace has finally rocked up again!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1315430516

Well done that man. Sub 80 is what I'm looking for at Bright10, excellent to have bagged that in training.

I tried to do 3 miles at steady (8.30s ish) this morning sandwiched by warm up and cool down but couldn't do more than two and a half before my pace tailed off alarmingly. I blame the heat. I can't seem to run in it at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done that man. Sub 80 is what I'm looking for at Bright10, excellent to have bagged that in training.

I tried to do 3 miles at steady (8.30s ish) this morning sandwiched by warm up and cool down but couldn't do more than two and a half before my pace tailed off alarmingly. I blame the heat. I can't seem to run in it at all.
I'm unofficially pacing 80 with the official pacer if you want to join in the fun. Should be a few on the train...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Agree with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. As you seem committed to it, ensure the painkiller is morphine rather than ibuprofen or such like. Heat, ibuprofen and running is a lethal mix. Hope you get priority at A&E as an employee.

Failed to recce the 1066 way yesterday as got the trains wrong at start. Failed to take note of Southern's disruptions. Walked from West St Leonards to Pett Level along the beaches and rock pools, as favourable low tides, and back along the cliff top path. Beautiful 17 miles but have to not run today after the heat, sun and dehydration

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Seems to be a lot of crocked runners right now. I'm one of them but gradually seem to be getting better (Achilles). Not run for 3 weeks and after many years of running with/through injuries am now getting around to the view that sometimes a simple rest is a no-brainer. However can still get out on bike and managed to crack the Steyning Bostal today. Believe me when I say it would be easier to run up the bloody thing. The heat is a bit less oppressive on a bike too.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
You may need to warn up the keys to call me an asshole, but I feel like I want to say something at this point. Running 100 consecutive days for the sake of doing so is crazy, and I just can not imagine why you would choose to do it. But if you then suffer a serious injury, to carry on regardless is crazy. I've been reading a lot of articles about running, the science of running and articles written by runners themselves and all of them talk about listening to your body and knowing your body. I'm training for a marathon at the moment, and I'm determined to follow the plan very strictly but I've had to move today's run to tomorrow because my right knee is feeling sore and weak after the work I've done already this week. I did a full weight session today instead, and will hope to crack back on with the progression run tomorrow instead.

I question the wisdom in forcing yourself to go out for a run with a serious injury, however close to the arbitrary number you've set yourself as a target. If you do go out, or get on a treadmill, I wish you well, of course, but that's crazy.

Thanks for the post, my problem is I'm too bloody minded. I understand just how stupid it is, I am being bloody stupid. The problem is my daft brain keeps telling me it'll be ok and that I need to complete the target I have set myself.
Also the problem is I am a fairly active person who is normally busy with work or family life and I am now next to useless, this also has given way to boredom and I'm climbing the walls I need to do some form of exercise.
I'm struggling to think of exercise that I can do safely without pain.
I know I'm moaning and people on this thread have had far worse and more restrictive injuries, but tonight I feel exasperated.
I did try to run on the treadmill prior to reading your post one painful mile. I won't do that again.
I've now reached a compromise in my head and I'm going to go for a brisk walk tomorrow and count that. I know it's being daft but I need to get out of the house.
Again thanks for your post it was appreciated.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Agree with [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. As you seem committed to it, ensure the painkiller is morphine rather than ibuprofen or such like. Heat, ibuprofen and running is a lethal mix. Hope you get priority at A&E as an employee.

Failed to recce the 1066 way yesterday as got the trains wrong at start. Failed to take note of Southern's disruptions. Walked from West St Leonards to Pett Level along the beaches and rock pools, as favourable low tides, and back along the cliff top path. Beautiful 17 miles but have to not run today after the heat, sun and dehydration

Cheers for the advice, I planned to do do my own recce of the 1066 route next week. I very much doubt that will happen now.
The route you walked is a nice route although quite hilly on the way back. I used to cycle that way a few years back. When I'm bk on form I'll go for a run out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here