Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I haven't had a working HRM for 7 years now and miss it. It's a design fault of my antique Garmin 305 that they stop working. Too tight to buy another one.

Meeting Penny's Harmonica for some Hove Prom frolics in the morning, if anyone else is sober enough. Planning on pacing him to sub 21:00. My ankle turned in a rabbit hole on the Downs yesterday. Massive shout of "F****** F***". Ankle stood up to it but slight pain on outside of leg below knee. Should be OK.

Really enjoy having the hrm on the watch. It can become a little obsessive though and if like me your heart rate is naturally high quite alarming. I only need to stir my tea to get above 150.

Don't worry if you can't make tomorrow if the ankle is bad, we can postpone no drama

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Really enjoy having the hrm on the watch. It can become a little obsessive though and if like me your heart rate is naturally high quite alarming. I only need to stir my tea to get above 150.

Don't worry if you can't make tomorrow if the ankle is bad, we can postpone no drama

I'm low HR. 39 resting if not training and 44-46 when training. Any higher resting rate and I'm overdoing it. All done counting pulse and using a watch first thing in morning.

I'll be fine tomorrow, it's whether it's long term. Looking forward to a controlled gallop.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Apologies I'm 99% out. Pain increasing and worse pushing off from toes. Damn! Jesus booked till Monday. Looks like the peroneal muscle, tendon or ligament took the brunt of the twist, hence pain outside leg under knee. Hoping it's the muscle and then be quick recovery time. Must remember that only fools or escapees run through painful injuries. May cycle along and volunteer. Enjoy your run.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Apologies I'm 99% out. Pain increasing and worse pushing off from toes. Damn! Jesus booked till Monday. Looks like the peroneal muscle, tendon or ligament took the brunt of the twist, hence pain outside leg under knee. Hoping it's the muscle and then be quick recovery time. Must remember that only fools or escapees run through painful injuries. May cycle along and volunteer. Enjoy your run.

No problem, that's the right decision really not worth risking it. I'll have another go at Eastbourne instead. Hope Jesus performs for you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
10 miles this morning. Longest run for a fair old while and right at my intended pace zone of just under 9.00s so that I went sub 1.30 without pushing myself in any way. Seemed to be some sort of event going on at Carats. Lots of cyclists by the harbour, plenty of runners in Run Brighton vests and a bloke at a water station who stopped me and asked me if I needed any. While that was very kind I was only 2 miles in and clutching a full running bottle :rant:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Very similar to what I have.....sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago, then ran a marathon on a concrete track a week later probably subconsciously protecting my ankle a bit and everything around the knee is inflamed, but mostly peroneus longus where it attaches below the knee. Improved over the week but after 30 mins jog yesterday now all flared up again overnight. Arses.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Must remember that only fools or escapees run through painful injuries.

Ain't that the truth. My knee isn't getting any better even though I've not run for a fair few days now, although I have done a reasonable amount of walking around the Orlando parks over the past couple of days.

My resort has a great looking New Balance running trail that I was intending to use a few times - that's looking increasingly unlikely.

Still, at least I'm not eating like a pig. (That bit may not be entirely true)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After a disasterous post-holiday weekend I'm back in business and a day ahead of schedule; brisk 15 miles yesterday and 12 times up a hill and back down again today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very similar to what I have.....sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago, then ran a marathon on a concrete track a week later probably subconsciously protecting my ankle a bit and everything around the knee is inflamed, but mostly peroneus longus where it attaches below the knee. Improved over the week but after 30 mins jog yesterday now all flared up again overnight. Arses.

Anything you can get I can get too! You're the vanguard of my injuries. Soleus now this. For a month my mid foot has slightly hurt behind the little toe. The fifth metatarsal nothing too drastic. The rabbit hole twist then hurt the outside of the calf. A few googles later and the peroneal tendon/muscles run up from that point to the ankle and then up to the knee on the outside of the leg. The muscle is superficial and purely balances the foot. Jesus booked in for Thursday.
Good news is walking is fine and weather is good for swimming.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Weather for Saturday morning 40mph SW winds. Due around 10am. Bit earlier with more southerly and it will push you up the hill in Hove Park.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Weather for Saturday morning 40mph SW winds. Due around 10am. Bit earlier with more southerly and it will push you up the hill in Hove Park.

Hove Prom will be a laugh, then!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My marathon is very erratic. I absolutely cruised a 9 miler this morning yet struggled with a slower paced 8 miler yesterday. Wierd

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I'm back, after tapatalk not working on my phone and me not being able to remember my password. It's miraculously working today.
Inspired by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I've been trying to run 100 days consecutively I'm on day 69 today. I felt although I've enjoyed getting out its affected the quality of my runs as I've had to run around night shifts and shift work and had it has even involved me running around a theme park and fishing lakes in order to get my runs in. So I'm looking forward to a more constructive approach after 100 days.
I'm hoping to have a go at a 1st sub 20 park run in Hull on Saturday my 1st park run since my post night shift run where I tried to keep up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] unsuccessfully at Hastings parkrun a couple of weeks ago.
This week I've been mostly running with my wife trying to get her ready for the 1066 run coming up in October.
So no focused 5k training, I'm a bit disappointed as I wanted to go all out for sub 20 5k but I have let myself down with the training.
Anyway nice to be back and I even managed a progressive 10k today in some sort of preparation for Saturday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/680192389

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm back, after tapatalk not working on my phone and me not being able to remember my password. It's miraculously working today.
Inspired by [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] I've been trying to run 100 days consecutively I'm on day 69 today. I felt although I've enjoyed getting out its affected the quality of my runs as I've had to run around night shifts and shift work and had it has even involved me running around a theme park and fishing lakes in order to get my runs in. So I'm looking forward to a more constructive approach after 100 days.
I'm hoping to have a go at a 1st sub 20 park run in Hull on Saturday my 1st park run since my post night shift run where I tried to keep up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] unsuccessfully at Hastings parkrun a couple of weeks ago.
This week I've been mostly running with my wife trying to get her ready for the 1066 run coming up in October.
So no focused 5k training, I'm a bit disappointed as I wanted to go all out for sub 20 5k but I have let myself down with the training.
Anyway nice to be back and I even managed a progressive 10k today in some sort of preparation for Saturday.
https://www.strava.com/activities/680192389

Good luck Saturday. I've had my peroneal longus muscle sorted today. All clear to run on smooth ground but have to avoid trails for a couple of weeks. So could pace [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] at Hove Park on Saturday, if he can make it. Ideal for someone who has lots of hills behind them and with a favourable wind to boot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Birthday week/weekend and pulled my 6 days-a-week marathon training forward to free up the weekend. Just bagged a 20 miler and no more runs until Monday!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Ran 19:45 in a 5k race yesterday. This is now odds-on to be the highlight of my tiny life. I'd wolfed loads of sweets and savouries before and felt sick for most of the race, was a complete surprise. Like a wazzock I then drank a bottle of champagne, just to ensure the serotonin exited more briskly than usual.

Anyway, I suppose the moral of the story is: if you are a porky loser, great times can still be done.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Four miles (first run since parkrun) and negative splits and a sub-7 min mile to finish with (6:59:58, to be exact!). Happy days...

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good luck Saturday. I've had my peroneal longus muscle sorted today. All clear to run on smooth ground but have to avoid trails for a couple of weeks. So could pace [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] at Hove Park on Saturday, if he can make it. Ideal for someone who has lots of hills behind them and with a favourable wind to boot.

Thanks for the offer Knocky but can't do any park runs this week. The plan is to go out late tomorrow then again Sunday as struggled with the heat this week. Good your back in your trainers, I'll head over in a couple of weeks if your about.
Good luck @St Leonard's Seagull tomorrow I'm struggling to go sub 21 sub 20 seems impossibly fast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here