Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium Steps Up To The Coach Park

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Coming out of west Lower ..can be crowded but IMO not enough to warrant another set of steps.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Contrary to your comment, I am not an early leaver, but yes, I do go towards Falmer station, so don't have an intimate knowledge of matchday operations as far as the P&R is concerned, however it remains that the routes for fans can be altered if necessary. My suggestion was purely to show that an additional set of stairs or a ramp do not need to be constructed. In any event, the original question related to those matches where their may be trouble - fortunately for matches at the Amex, we do not get many issues, save for the odd idiot mouthing off (although I do seem to remember some stones being thrown in the train queue after one match with Palace(?) so this sort of segregation would not be needed for every match.

As for the away supporters who want to go to the station - have you never been in a situation where, as an away supporter, you have been forced by stewards and/or the police to wait in the ground for an unspecified period of time or leave a ground by a completely different route than the one you want to take? I've been to numerous grounds where we have been kept from leaving for 30-45 minutes or so and seem to recall being route marched from Selhurst Park after the 0-5 drubbing completely against my will and the direction that I needed to go.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've only used the coach park for the first time after a game this season, as I have always got the train in for games at the Amex until now. It did surprise me how crowded the steps were after both games (Wolves & Leeds) and after the Leeds game some of their lovely supporters were abusing Sky technicians in the coach park and the police at the bottom of the steps had to push their way through a very crowded set of steps to reach the top to deal with it.

Overall I wasn't that bothered, but I can see people having concerns if it's that's crowded and your elderly or with children etc.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Aren't people forgetting that we are at the Amex where crowds approaching 28k are the norm. What exactly do people expect when in large crowds. As someone else said, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it. As for mingling with away fans, we have to walk past them every game when heading back to the P & R.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Due to rail travel not being a viable option for evening games anymore we have been using seagulls travel for a few games now and by the time we get round there from the north it is very congested. The fact that quite a few elderly fans use coach travel does make it hard for them to get back to the coaches. Isn't a second lift in the plans IF we get promoted, maybe a wide or extra staircase will also be constructed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Aren't people forgetting that we are at the Amex where crowds approaching 28k are the norm. What exactly do people expect when in large crowds. As someone else said, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it. As for mingling with away fans, we have to walk past them every game when heading back to the P & R.

I would say coach use has increased massively in recent months, especially for evening games, due to zero confidence in getting home by train so maybe this is actually a new thing.

Maybe somebody who has used coach travel for home matches before the train issues could comment in whether this increase is noticable

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I would say coach use has increased massively in recent months, especially for evening games, due to zero confidence in getting home by train so maybe this is actually a new thing.

Maybe somebody who has used coach travel for home matches before the train issues could comment in whether this increase is noticable

Been using Seagull travel for 2 seasons. Crowd going up steps is about the same I would say. Always seem to get folk coming back down the steps too as they thought they were going to the P & R buses.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
This is a hugely pressing matter that needs to be addressed by the club. If i go to a game again and have to wait for a coach or bus afterwards, especially due to the fact there are not enough stairs I will rip my season ticket up and post it to Barber with my letter of complaint. Sod the football WE NEED MORE STAIRS.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am of the opinion that the type of fan using supporters coaches, both home and away varieties, are generally not the type of fan who gets involved in argy bargy.

I know the Leeds fans were kicking off, but if I'm correct here they were only in the Coach Park to attack the Sky Vehicles and weren't actually on coaches themselves.
I've seen 3 scuffles at the top of the stairs, the Leeds one included.

Buy yes I agree with you, you've got to be even more of an idiot if you got the club coach down.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If you can't stand next to a fan of a different club to you for 20 mins without kicking off you should be seeking professional help and counselling and not at the football. If this is the case the person clearly has severe mental health problems and should be helped.

When away fans are intent on kicking off or abusing home fans it isn't always easy to hold your temper. A few times, if it wasn't for the CCTV, I would have given someone a dig and I have no intention whatsoever to cause trouble but I've listened to our fans, not me but fans with their children, being called paedophiles amongst other abuse. The sensible thing would be to ignore it, as the police officers who witness it do, but I am afraid I'm not that sensible.(Yes,I know I said it!)

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
If you can't stand next to a fan of a different club to you for 20 mins without kicking off you should be seeking professional help and counselling and not at the football. If this is the case the person clearly has severe mental health problems and should be helped.

Are you mad?

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't a second lift in the plans IF we get promoted.

Hopefully any new lift would be faster than the current one which appears to be hand cranked by an arthritic one-armed pensioner with chronic asthma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here