Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to fill the Amex

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
is the correct answer, but there must be some on going concerns for people not to turn up ............what are they?
regards
DR

nothing like a casual stroll from and too Hove station.................???
regards
DR

S/T SALES DOWN, CLUB TICKET PROMOTIONS ON GOING, expensive match day pricing ,TRAVEL ISSUES , WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE,YOU TELL ME
regards
DR

i got shouted down when i said some people wouldn't bother renewing a couple of seasons ago mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
regards
DR

You get 'shouted down', because you are a tiresome, relentlessly negative, nostalgia osbessed, stuck record, who seems to actively revell in anything anti-Albion you can sieze on.

Why do you even post here?

Jan 30, 2008
OK, in order :

-Mine isn't, personal choice
-good idea that was, bought 4 at £10 for the Cardiff game. They should do more of it while they can
-reasonable compared to other stuff in my opinion (other sports, cinema, theatre, gigs - FFS I have to nearly £50 a day to get a train to work - on that basis a matchday ticket is a BARGAIN)
-odd problem on a midweek game, otherwise works fine (for me), almost always home within an hour of the final whistle

Great stadium, top of the league, playing decent football, chance to meet up with pals etc etc etc. Works for me and you've obviously made your (economic presumably) choice - whatever the club do won't work for everyone, including pricing at levels some feel are too high
of course it won't work for everyone but those numbers are on the rise, just look at the empty seats
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
you get 'shouted down', because you are a tiresome, relentlessly negative, nostalgia osbessed, stuck record, who seems to actively revell in anything anti-albion you can sieze on.

Why do you even post here?
there you go, someone else that doesn't like the truth :facepalm:
regards
DR

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a point of order: There are two posters who often ruin what are otherwise constructive threads about the Amex, crowds and atmosphere. When I notice it happening, they will have their posting rights to those threads removed, as I've just done with suspect #1.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Is it advertised around town you can just rock up? I don't know I don't live

I think there are 2 major problems

a (cost)
b ( logistics)

If you are an Albion fan the logistics involved in watching the Albion is understandable.
The trouble is that if you are not an Albion fan but you just want to watch a game of football.
Sooner rather than later getting a ticket for the Amex has to get easier.
Some people just want to buy a ticket they don't want to sign up to a Database where they will be
Offered all sorts of other shit"

Not sure i buy the logistics arguement most grounds are a nightmare as 20K + leaving a venue at the same time inevitably means queues and delays.

SAC

May 21, 2014
How many times in history, before the Amex was built, was there an average attendance of over 20,000? The problem is that even 25,000 attendances don't even come close to break even for the club even with sky high ticket prices. I thought the new ground was going to have a break even or 13-15,000, which would have been a realistic total for Championship football. Somewhere along the line the costs spiralled so that when only 25,000 people purchase tickets it is thought of as a bad thing. Anything over 20,000 should be thought of as a very good attendance.

Match day prices are far too high but I don't think a reduced by £5 or £10 would make a huge difference.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Somewhere along the line the costs spiralled so that when only 25,000 people purchase tickets it is thought of as a bad thing. Anything over 20,000 should be thought of as a very good attendance.

Somewhere along the line?

There's no dark art here. To recruit and employ a playing squad that can compete at the right end of the table* takes money. It's in black and white in the published accounts every year.

There may well be a financial model which sees 13-15,000 gates permit the club to break even but it would be one with far higher ticket prices and/or far cheaper players.

(* Yes, there are times where a club with a small budget over achieves, and also where big spenders fail to perform, but by and large success on the field is predicated upon spending money on players in the form of fees and/or wages)

SAC

May 21, 2014
Somewhere along the line?

There's no dark art here. To recruit and employ a playing squad that can compete at the right end of the table* takes money. It's in black and white in the published accounts every year.

There may well be a financial model which sees 13-15,000 gates permit the club to break even but it would be one with far higher ticket prices and/or far cheaper players.

(* Yes, there are times where a club with a small budget over achieves, and also where big spenders fail to perform, but by and large success on the field is predicated upon spending money on players in the form of fees and/or wages)

I wrote somewhere along the line as I seem to remember that the figure of 13-15000 was quoted. I could be wrong though, perhaps it was guesswork from someone on here?

I don't know the ins and outs of the finances but it still seems incredible to me that a club with the highest ticket prices and the highest attendances can't at least break even.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A- sort out transport
B-cheaper walk up tickets
C-allow drums/flags
D-make north stand an under 25 stand only and £20

Not sure even top of the league we will fill the amex apart from clashes with well supported contenders! I did warn that when you lose a season ticket holder they might not attend too many games at the match by match prices. Gave up season ticket 13/14 season and have attended 4 games since and those were at mates rates. There are no big games at the amex due to the fact that attendances are pretty high already,the old days at the goldstone crowds could rocket from 17,000 to 30,000 for a big game,until you turned the corner by the church you didn't know what to expect,the amex is all too predictable but that's modern footie for you.:moo:

Yep, I remember turning up at the Goldstone in the equivalent of the Championship in the mid to late Eighties and not knowing whether the crowd would be seven thousand or eight thousand that day.

Heady, heady times. Modern footiel, eh?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed.

Excuse the self-promotion, but who do you think had a better time on Tuesday evening? Das, sat at home furiously punching his keyboard, or me http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?574-Albion-2-1-Bristol-City-20-10-2015 ?

I believe there was a brief mention of some seat throwing at one of the Champions League games, so, whilst Bobby's goal undoubtedly gave the rest of us a thrill that shook the earth's rotation for a split second, I'm going to bet that it was PPF who was the one sat there with a semi on.

Sorry.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I believe there was a brief mention of some seat throwing at one of the Champions League games, so, whilst Bobby's goal undoubtedly gave the rest of us a thrill that shook the earth's rotation for a split second, I'm going to bet that it was PPF who was the one sat there with a semi on.

Sorry.

*chuckle*

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm certainly not disputing any of that. But, for this time of year, we really have "never had it so good", have we?

20/10/12 v Middlesbrough - we were 5th going into that. Crowd of 26,293
28/10/13 v Watford - we were 16th going into that. Crowd of 27,657 on a Monday night.
9/11/13 v Blackburn - we were 12th going into that. Crowd of 27,912

Logistics isn't an excuse. You can stroll up to the Amex at 2:50 on Saturday and buy a ticket and go in. It's like old skool going to football.

Yes, I know what you mean and it is slightly odd. I'd say it's more a few floaters have gone after last year. And with every year the 'Amex Factor' will wear thinner for some. Obviously there wasn't a huge away following last night - if there was it would have been 25k... Still good of course :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Due to a combination of health, distance and other personal circumstances, buying a ticket in advance (that I'm very likely to be unable to use) is not an option for me. For this reason, although I've watched the Albion at places relatively near me - Swindon, Brizzle, Hereford, Cheltenham (quite a lot!), Walsall and Birmingham, where racking up with a few fivers at the gate has never been a problem - I haven't been to a home match since the Goldstone days.
So it's great news if POTG is back on the menu. Has the club publicised this change? If so, I missed it. Anyway, if POTG is now available, I hope to be paying my first visit to the Amex in the not too distant future. However, somebody on here suggested it might not apply to all games - if so, will that be publicised in advance?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Groupon deals !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here