Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to fill the Amex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cheapest ticket for Saturday for an Adult is £30.

If you're coming from the outer edges of the transport zone, that is amazing value, your match ticket may well be costing you just £20 in real terms.

For those who can walk or cycle, get dropped off etc. It is still £30 in real terms and that is too much for this type of game in my opinion.

This is the reality that the transport levy actually causes. I don't know how you get round it. Whether you walk, cycle or use the public transport, the stadium only exists because of the planning requirements of this agreement. However, it really does skew the value of our prices depending on what it would actually cost you to get to the stadium.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stage a match where promotion to the PL is the reward for victory.

The AMEX would burst.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheapest ticket for Saturday for an Adult is £30.

If you're coming from the outer edges of the transport zone, that is amazing value, your match ticket may well be costing you just £20 in real terms.

For those who can walk or cycle, get dropped off etc. It is still £30 in real terms and that is too much for this type of game in my opinion.

This is the reality that the transport levy actually causes. I don't know how you get round it. Whether you walk, cycle or use the public transport, the stadium only exists because of the planning requirements of this agreement. However, it really does skew the value of our prices depending on what it would actually cost you to get to the stadium.

It would be interesting to know how much the transport levy actually adds to the cost of each ticket. I'd guesstimate at £2-3.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Bizarre.

I just opened NSC, having watched Bobby's goal from last night for about the 764th time, to post: if you are an Albion fan why would you NOT come on Saturday?

There is economics at play for some folk, I appreciate, but:

- 12 games unbeaten
- top of the league
- playing an 'unfancied' side
- Zamora lighting up Sussex

Come. Just come. Please come.

Dead right Bozza....there's never been a better time to support and enjoy our team

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It would be interesting to know how much the transport levy actually adds to the cost of each ticket. I'd guesstimate at £2-3.

If that is applied to every ticket regardless of what it is, lets say an average crowd of 22k through the season, at £3 per ticket the annual income for the transport is £1.52m...in simple terms I guess.

Obviously you cut the ticket prices by say £3, you can see the impact the club faces over the course of a season. Even if that cut ups the average by a few thousand, it's not making up that short fall.

However, given the numbers of ST's and 1901's we have, let's say 20k, if their prices increased by even 0.75p per match, or £17 for the season, you would raise an additional £345k. If you're looking to sell 5k match day tickets or more each time, you could then afford to cut the match day ticket prices by £3 each at least.

Does that put off ST purchases but attract more match day sales? They will know I'm sure, but it must be the sums they regularly analyse.

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I know several 'casual' fans for which the main issue is the transport aggravation. For them its the tipping point between attending and not attending.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I think it's more to do with travel then price. What good is subsidized travel on a ticket if the trains are a joke!.

How many times in the last 6 home matches have our supporters missed the entire build up to the game because of trains coming from the east, etc...
More and more people are seriously considering abandoning midweek matches now because of this!.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
is the correct answer, but there must be some on going concerns for people not to turn up ............what are they?
regards
DR

Who exactly isn't turning up (apart from your good self, presumably) ? Are there more than 25k people who actually want to come but 'can't' because of something the club is doing/not doing ?

Actual bums on seats are typically better than the last couple of seasons from what I can see (Saturday pm games anyway) - the fair number of stayaway STHs that (maybe understandably) didn't renew after last season's utter dross more or less being replaced by higher numbers of casual visitors etc. Maybe we're probably tripping along at more or less what we can expect for now. I dunno. Personally don't really get the obsession with selling out anyway - people who want to go and support the club will/can go, those who don't, don't. Each to their own.

Would be interesting to see what effect promotion has on STH sales.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know several 'casual' fans for which the main issue is the transport aggravation. For them its the tipping point between attending and not attending.

Very little aggravation on a Saturday.......think there is still a perception from the early days that it's terrible. It generally isn't at all (Tuesdays can be a bit of a lottery though)

Jan 30, 2008
Who exactly isn't turning up (apart from your good self, presumably) ? Are there more than 25k people who actually want to come but 'can't' because of something the club is doing/not doing ?

Actual bums on seats are typically better than the last couple of seasons from what I can see (Saturday pm games anyway) - the fair number of stayaway STHs that (maybe understandably) didn't renew after last season's utter dross more or less being replaced by higher numbers of casual visitors etc. Maybe we're probably tripping along at more or less what we can expect for now. I dunno. Personally don't really get the obsession with selling out anyway - people who want to go and support the club will/can go, those who don't, don't. Each to their own.

Would be interesting to see what effect promotion has on STH sales.
S/T SALES DOWN, CLUB TICKET PROMOTIONS ON GOING, expensive match day pricing ,TRAVEL ISSUES , WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE,YOU TELL ME
regards
DR

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Shows how easy it is to lose fans and how hard it is to get them back, good job we're doing well as I'd hate to think how many more we'd have lost this season.

It's a shame the AMEX won't be full to the brim on Saturday, giving tickets away is not the answer as it devalues the product and then makes them hard to sell as everyone then waits for a freebie in future, the club need to advertise more the Seagulls Travel services etc as an alternative to the normal trains and buses if people think the transport woes puts them off.

Jan 30, 2008
Shows how easy it is to lose fans and how hard it is to get them back, good job we're doing well as I'd hate to think how many more we'd have lost this season.

It's a shame the AMEX won't be full to the brim on Saturday, giving tickets away is not the answer as it devalues the product and then makes them hard to sell as everyone then waits for a freebie in future, the club need to advertise more the Seagulls Travel services etc as an alternative to the normal trains and buses if people think the transport woes puts them off.

i got shouted down when i said some people wouldn't bother renewing a couple of seasons ago mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
regards
DR

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Make an app where you can buy and scan your tickets at the gate.
I've wondered for a while why they don't have a SIMPLE ticketting app available, so you can sit in the pub by Brighton station on a Saturday lunchtime and buy a ticket on the smartphone.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Very little aggravation on a Saturday.......think there is still a perception from the early days that it's terrible. It generally isn't at all (Tuesdays can be a bit of a lottery though)

Yeah thats a good point. Most of these 'casual' fans I was talking about formed their opinion in the first season. Maybe we need some effort to publicise the improvement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
S/T SALES DOWN, CLUB TICKET PROMOTIONS ON GOING, expensive match day pricing ,TRAVEL ISSUES , WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE,YOU TELL ME
regards
DR

OK, in order :

-Mine isn't, personal choice
-good idea that was, bought 4 at £10 for the Cardiff game. They should do more of it while they can
-reasonable compared to other stuff in my opinion (other sports, cinema, theatre, gigs - FFS I have to nearly £50 a day to get a train to work - on that basis a matchday ticket is a BARGAIN)
-odd problem on a midweek game, otherwise works fine (for me), almost always home within an hour of the final whistle

Great stadium, top of the league, playing decent football, chance to meet up with pals etc etc etc. Works for me and you've obviously made your (economic presumably) choice - whatever the club do won't work for everyone, including pricing at levels some feel are too high

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've wondered for a while why they don't have a SIMPLE ticketting app available, so you can sit in the pub by Brighton station on a Saturday lunchtime and buy a ticket on the smartphone.

I can board a plane using a QCR scan on my phone, shouldn't be too difficult.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here