Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion - a most remarkable football club

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The problem is the feelings of hopelessness, and powerlessness.

It gets bad, it gets worse, but no matter how bad, nothing gets done about it.

Why bother anymore ? ???

:nono:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I find the OP's line that we are a unique and remarkable club rather an introverted and conceited view.

As a 43-year supporting fan who was active in protest through the gory years, of course it was seminal for our club, and a remarkable achievement to make it to the Amex promised land. But many other clubs have been through similar or worse:

- CHARLTON were homeless for much longer than us and turned it around to become an established PL club
- ALDERSHOT went properly bankrupt and had to start again at the bottom of the pyramid, yet fought back
- HEREFORD look like losing their club altogether
- POMPEY (although it was their own fault and I have no sympathy) demise from the PL to L2, went bust and are now a fan-owned club.
- RANGERS (see Pompey, kinda)
- COVENTRY (forced out of their own ground by commercial negotiations)
etc.

In that context, we have to see the current season problems in light of broader and longer term events.

I think Hyypia continuing is untenable. He clearly doesn't want to be here. He's lost the crowd and the dressing room. It will be a miracle if he turns it around. Only Bloom can determine the outcome (in my view when rather than if).

BUT, in my view, creating the sort of poisonous atmosphere that existed on Friday can only make the team play worse and heighten our plight. It was also very unpleasant and, frankly, self-indulgent. So if you want to boycott Boxing Day then do so. But if you come along, get behind the team. In 96/97, Fans United was the turning point where all the frustrated energy of the troubles were converted into support for the team. From then on, a corner had been turned. Archer was still at the helm but it didn't stop us distinguishing between supporting the team and disliking the regime.

PG

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I find the OP's line that we are a unique and remarkable club rather an introverted and conceited view.

As a 43-year supporting fan who was active in protest through the gory years, of course it was seminal for our club, and a remarkable achievement to make it to the Amex promised land. But many other clubs have been through similar or worse:

- CHARLTON were homeless for much longer than us and turned it around to become an established PL club
- ALDERSHOT went properly bankrupt and had to start again at the bottom of the pyramid, yet fought back
- POMPEY (although it was their own fault and I have no sympathy) demise from the PL to L2, went bust and are now a fan-owned club.
etc.

In that context, we have to see the current season problems in light of broader and longer term events.

I think Hyypia continuing is untenable. He clearly doesn't want to be here. He's lost the crowd and the dressing room. It will be a miracle if he turns it around. Only Bloom can determine the outcome (in my view when rather than if).

BUT, in my view, creating the sort of poisonous atmosphere that existed on Friday can only make the team play worse and heighten our plight. It was also very unpleasant and, frankly, self-indulgent. So if you want to boycott Boxing Day then do so. But if you come along, get behind the team. In 96/97, Fans United was the turning point where all the frustrated energy of the troubles were converted into support for the team. From then on, a corner had been turned. Archer was still at the helm but it didn't stop us distinguishing between supporting the team and disliking the regime.

PG

This

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

etc.

PG

Top post.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey. All that has happened is that the board made a mistake over the appointment of a manager and we are having a poor run. He may or may not be replaced soon.

It's not Armageddon, no one has died. We haven't become a shit club overnight, yet reading the utter garbage on here you would think we were going out of business today and turning the Amex into a urban farm

Get a grip you lot!

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Blimey. All that has happened is that the board made a mistake over the appointment of a manager and we are having a poor run. He may or may not be replaced soon.

It's not Armageddon, no one has died. We haven't become a shit club overnight, yet reading the utter garbage on here you would think we were going out of business today and turning the Amex into a urban farm

Get a grip you lot!

That's clearly not all that's happened is it.

3 Wins in 21 games is awful and totally unneceptable. The formation doesnt work, the tactics are inept, the substitutions are hard to explain add to the fact he's about as passionate as someone who's been dug up from the local cemetary. But I don't put blame totally at his feet, the fact is this club has sold or lost Bridcutt, Barnes, Buckley, Upson, Kushack, Ward, Ulloa, El Abd all over the last 12 months and the replacements are a bunch of loanees who dont give a shi* or the likes of O'Grady, Toko who simply aren't good enough. The board with the help of Hyppia have somehow managed to turn a club knocking on the door of the premiership to sleepwalking without a fight into League one all within the space of 9 months, quite remarkable!

It's the whole set up from the manager to the gap now between the fans and the club, we're not in this together at all. The recruitment is a total disaster and we hear nothing but praise from Bloom to back that Burke has done a good job.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Despite all the bickering and in-fighting going on right now, I'd hope there is one thing that we can all agree on: Brighton & Hove Albion is a pretty remarkable football club.

Our back story is pretty much unrivalled in British football, and almost certainly beyond these shores as well. The demise of the Goldstone, the triumph at Edgar Street, the Gillingham exile, the return to Brighton, the almost endless campaigning which finally resulted in the Temple of Bloom, the fairytale opening day comeback to beat Doncaster and the oh-so-close attempts to reach the promised land of the Premier League. Remarkable, truly remarkable.

Is another chapter of remarkable-ness being written right now? When almost every other football club would have parted ways with Sami Hyypia by now, the Albion seem to be standing firm. Showing loyalty in the face of adversity, considerable fan pressure and giving him every chance possible to turn it round. It would be one hell of a comeback if Hyypia did manage to drag us out of this most boggy mire.

(Looking forward to the insta-replies suggesting that Paul Barber has paid me to write this)
are you PB love child,only joking I agree with you we have come a long way and our new fans need understand football will have its ups and down. I am a Brighton Fan:albion2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's clearly not all that's happened is it.

3 Wins in 21 games is awful and totally unneceptable. The formation doesnt work, the tactics are inept, the substitutions are hard to explain add to the fact he's about as passionate as someone who's been dug up from the local cemetary. But I don't put blame totally at his feet, the fact is this club has sold or lost Bridcutt, Barnes, Buckley, Upson, Kushack, Ward, Ulloa, El Abd all over the last 12 months and the replacements are a bunch of loanees who dont give a shi* or the likes of O'Grady, Toko who simply aren't good enough. The board with the help of Hyppia have somehow managed to turn a club knocking on the door of the premiership to sleepwalking without a fight into League one all within the space of 9 months, quite remarkable!

It's the whole set up from the manager to the gap now between the fans and the club, we're not in this together at all. The recruitment is a total disaster and we hear nothing but praise from Bloom to back that Burke has done a good job.

Just to humour me.....can you please point to one single positive post you have made in the 204 posts you have made.

If you don't like this football club, why dont you just tell everyone...oh hang on you do...every fecking post.

Ok, so it may not be overnight, but as PG said...we are no where near some of the positions that clubs have been in, and us all those years ago. Feck sake, Leeds United have a crook as a owner who the football league had banned from running it...that is real issues. If we win our next 5 games, we will be getting near mid table ....

Yes it is not good at the moment, but the more people like you spout your bile, the more people are sucked into this " we are doomed" scenario.

I take it you were around in the days of hinshelwood and geoff wood? Playing at a ground that took 2 hours to get to? Now those were the bad days...this represents a decent young team playing without confidence and the crowd getting on their backs...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely. Tony Bloom is a shrewd fella, this is hurting him as much as us. I'd have sacked Hyypia weeks ago (I think he's hopeless), BUT I'm happy to trust his judgement. Sorry Attila, Harty and the rest.

I would have agreed with this up to friday night. The fact SH hasnt yet been sacked is negligent and couldnt be further from Shrewd.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Just to humour me.....can you please point to one single positive post you have made in the 204 posts you have made.

If you don't like this football club, why dont you just tell everyone...oh hang on you do...every fecking post.

Ok, so it may not be overnight, but as PG said...we are no where near some of the positions that clubs have been in, and us all those years ago. Feck sake, Leeds United have a crook as a owner who the football league had banned from running it...that is real issues. If we win our next 5 games, we will be getting near mid table ....

Yes it is not good at the moment, but the more people like you spout your bile, the more people are sucked into this " we are doomed" scenario.

I take it you were around in the days of hinshelwood and geoff wood? Playing at a ground that took 2 hours to get to? Now those were the bad days...this represents a decent young team playing without confidence and the crowd getting on their backs...

As for your first questions, what's that got to do with the current plight, oh nothing........... thought not! I appear to be one of a majority that have had enough of this shi*e that's happening to our football club.

So that's how we look at the situation is it? We judge it on the fact that we don't have a foreign crook of an owner, oh well lucky us or the fact we're not n league 2 like Pompey! We're in a totally different era to all those years ago, we weren't being fed this premier league ready nonsense or employing 500k paid toss pots like Barber to shovel this crap through and we weren't paying the premier price for it too so yes of course we've been in worse positions but we cant accept what's currently going on because previously we were in a worst state.

You'd be correct, yes I was around in the Jeff wood days, I was also a season ticket holder who used to get a double decker bus upto Gillingham each other week and even travelled up to watch us for auto windscreen shield games against Millwall so don't get on your high horse and act all the mighty with me mate, I was there, I was at the marches to keep this club alive and i'll be there to fight now If I think something is not going right, we need to have a voice and not hide away when this club is falling away back into the 3rd tier!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I think an embarrassment of a football club would be closer to the mark. We've turned into some horrible corporate like business and I feel ashamed to support us now. Since we have moved into the Amex the gap has grown between the fans and the club to an unprecedented level, from the Dick Knight shares debacle to the dirty washing being hung out over the Poyet saga to the fact that we cant get any key players over the past 12 months and the fact the prices are exuberant on the border to actually robbing your everyday albion fan. These are same fans who fought to get us to still actually be a football club, marched on the streets of Lancashire when away to Wigan and battled to keep us alive.

I'm not going until Hyppia is gone and that's not just a protest against the shite he's serving up but also a protest against the powers that be, the message is clear....stop treating the fans like mugs because without them, you DONT have a football club.

Blimey I don't know about "exuberant" but our prices certainly aren't exorbitant...I think my season ticket works out to £23 a match which is pretty good really. Personally I'm very proud of BHAFC; yes we have hit a bad patch after several years of relative success, but hopefully it will be resolved over the next few weeks. Taking the long term view I am looking forward to the next 25 years that I will be able to attend matches and I intend enjoying the ride.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Get a grip you lot!

Sorry Dave, not often I disagree with you but bloody hell man! It goes way beyond being a 'mistake' and shit run of form.

Currently we are a shit club. If that upsets then so be it.

Barber is driving fans away just by being Barber. Burke's disastrous 'recruitments' are driving fans away. Hyypia's being so far out of his depth is driving fans away. And while all this is going on Tony Bloom goes silent.

Going down will be a financial disaster for The Albion. It might not be Armageddon but they way things are it reminds me of the last scenes of Thelma and Louise driving over the cliff.

I was planning on giving Boxing Day a miss, was persuaded to go but am now back in the 'if Sami is still in charge you can stick your Boxing Day up your arse' camp.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Blimey I don't know about "exuberant" but our prices certainly aren't exorbitant...I think my season ticket works out to £23 a match which is pretty good really. Personally I'm very proud of BHAFC; yes we have hit a bad patch after several years of relative success, but hopefully it will be resolved over the next few weeks. Taking the long term view I am looking forward to the next 25 years that I will be able to attend matches and I intend enjoying the ride.

I've been to over 80 grounds, never paid £15 for parking. We've got some of the most expensive food in all four divisions. Now don't get me wrong, if we're doing well and the club are making good decisions then i'll pay it, but if things are being run as they are with us ghosting towards league one then suddenly it becomes an issue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

So, what's your job at The Albion?

Last edited:

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
Surely the one job we have as supporters is to Support,otherwise we become what we accuse the players/management of ,giving up and no passion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Personally i do think its time for a change ...but only after the last three matches..as i perhaps have been more patient than some (quite a few)....but what i am finding hard to take is this almost hate for a man who perhaps only a year ago was almost seen as untouchable (note i don't think anyone is beyond criticism) how times change.....Bloom a man who has transformed this club in terms of a stadium and appointing 2 managers who have given us a promotion and 2 play offs with a chance to be promoted to the Premier league....we are now experiencing our worst season for a while ...but we've had a heck of a lot worse and yet you would have thought from so many posts that he has never presided over any success at Brighton. Perhaps its time for some to stop throwing there toys out of the pram.

Totally this Lamie, and I've had much the same level of patience. In a world where fans want managers sacked after half a season, I would love to see Sami turn it around, but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

The club had been up and down the football league – we've only had a number of seasons in the second tier – and I don't see any reason why that should not still happen. Yes, TB has put a load of money into the club for players, but so has every other chairman - that vast majority of whom have the benefit of parachute payments. As a result, it's even harder to compete, but IF we were to go down, I presume we would come back up again; players and managers would come and go and the Brighton and Hove Albion football cycle would continue.

At least we have a club to support, and it isn't a REAL disaster – as some are suggesting. It is football. There is more to life than football.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
BUT, if he isn't sacked (and it doesn't seem to be imminent) and he does go on to turn it around, it WOULD be another remarkable chapter in the life of our football club. Massive risk though.

Very obviously not going to happen though, is it? This isn't like the early days of Poyet where even though we weren't getting the results, you could see what he was trying to do, the passing culture he was trying to instil. This is mayhem with no structure or logic.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Very obviously not going to happen though, is it? This isn't like the early days of Poyet where even though we weren't getting the results, you could see what he was trying to do, the passing culture he was trying to instil. This is mayhem with no structure or logic.

100% this.

You can also see that the squad isnt that bad. But we have an absolute cretin at the helm. A rudderless ship as it were. The players are not "shit" despite our league placing. I have seen enough shit footballers in my time over the years.

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington

It is good to hear from someone from the club. How are the problems going to 'resolved over the next few weeks. Are there transfers in the pipeline? Or are you referring to a change of management?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here