Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do we have to assume all the coaches (Spanish) are leaving as well?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It's not even FFP that is the issue. It's the way the club signs players and the current infrastructure to do that. What qualifies Burke to sign our players? Why does it take so long? Why have so many players out of contract at once? It's all a mess. TB has left Burke in charge of the playing budget and he's screwed it up. Managers (even continental) don't want to work under this system and I doubt Sherwood would. So I hope Sherwood gets the job as Manager and Burke and his championship manager nerds in the computer room get the boot!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
But was back on the bench for the play-off game at Derby. How come? Did we have too many injuries, and he had to be on the bench, despite not being good enough or "wanting it" enough in the previous 2 months?

Been on loan at Crawley getting some experience, and playing pretty well by what i've heard. I think Crawley will be hoping we'll let him go back there from next season. We will probably let him go back, unless we are down to the bare bones of a squad.

My main point about these two, is wrong players at the wrong time. Both clearly have talent, but I really don't want to over analyse the success factor of the seventh sub, or a couple of decent performances at Crawley, especially as Gregory complained about Monakana's fitness, shortly after the Preston manager said he expected more than 15 minutes of effort from the same player.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's clever wording. Let's imagine the budget was £50pa. Gus had all £50 to spend. He spent it all. TB then increased the budget to £52.50, however £50 of the budget is already being taken up with Poyet signings. Therefore the budget has increased, but the amount available to spend has significantly reduced from £50 to £2.50.

Exactly, clearly this is the key. A significant portion of the budget was already accounted for with players not of OG's choosing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly, clearly this is the key. A significant portion of the budget was already accounted for with players not of OG's choosing.

The "Poyet legacy", indeed. A lot of that budget will become available to spend this Summer.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Essentially confirms that he had no say at all regarding players brought in as his list of players was dismissed.

Yet weirdly, EVERY TIME people said this on here, we were completely shot down as speaking nonsense.

"are you HONESTLY saying he has NO CHOICE in who we sign?".

"Yep"

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
My main point about these two, is wrong players at the wrong time. Both clearly have talent, but I really don't want to over analyse the success factor of the seventh sub, or a couple of decent performances at Crawley, especially as Gregory complained about Monakana's fitness, shortly after the Preston manager said he expected more than 15 minutes of effort from the same player.

Agree with what you're saying. Possibly down the route of rash signings to appease the fans to say we are trying to sign exciting players?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The "Poyet legacy", indeed. A lot of that budget will become available to spend this Summer.

So why has Oscar left when he has money to spend in the summer? When he can build his own team? Because I think he knows it will only be available if Burke thinks it's a good signing (analysts included) and Oscar has to wait and hope that BHAFC manage to sign a player he wants.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Indeed. People tend to think of 'budget' as transfers and wages of new players forgetting that we have to pay the wages and bonuses of existing ones. Presumably Dev Squad players also count towards the playing budget mentioned in the various articles?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Which is excellent news for whoever comes in and the one reason why I was massively suprised that OG walked.

I'm not convinced the OG story is as convoluted as Mr Naylor makes out, I think we'll see him land at a better paid, "bigger" job in the near future. That is not to say I don't think there are issues around player recruitment, just that they are issues that need finessing rather than a sledgehammer taken to them.

This board has completely lost sight of how well we've done over the last 2 years. If this is against a backdrop of a senior management structure that isn't quite working, that'll get sorted. We all act like we have more invested in this club than TB's £130m. We don't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yet weirdly, EVERY TIME people said this on here, we were completely shot down as speaking nonsense.

"are you HONESTLY saying he has NO CHOICE in who we sign?".

"Yep"

That was mainly [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION]

To be fair to him that's exactly what David Burke said to him on the Roar. Why would you publicly contradict something you yourself got from an interviewee? The interesting thing now is that either Burke was being disingenuous then or Oscar is now.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
We all act like we have more invested in this club than TB's £130m. We don't.

Speak for yourself, it cost me a FOURTUNE for a matching Dean Wilkins (Gurgle!!!!) tea cosy and duvet cover when Dick TIGHT was bleeding the club dry.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Great news. Too much of our budget last season was used up on Kuzcack, Upson, Greer, Ulloa, Calderon, etc. Next season we'll be able to use all that money for players like Agustein, Obika, Lita, Rodriguez.

I'm being facetious, but it's not like he inherited a bad squad and our transfer dealings this season have not suggested we would have done anything good with any extra money

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's not even FFP that is the issue. It's the way the club signs players and the current infrastructure to do that. What qualifies Burke to sign our players? Why does it take so long? Why have so many players out of contract at once? It's all a mess. TB has left Burke in charge of the playing budget and he's screwed it up. Managers (even continental) don't want to work under this system and I doubt Sherwood would. So I hope Sherwood gets the job as Manager and Burke and his championship manager nerds in the computer room get the boot!

Against the Grain: I think the Committee system is better than a dictatorship for signing multi-million £ players. Then they can all get the blame. Unless the Manager has been on a financial accounting course and got a bit of experience in financial matters, it can very easily get into a Sunderland situation under Bruce where the club bank-rolled flops.

Not that I think the decision making has been great. FFP compliance made for short term solutions over petty cash (e.g. caterers). Grabban was never going to join us anyway. I had impression was he was just sounding out his future. To see what was on offer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Which is excellent news for whoever comes in and the one reason why I was massively suprised that OG walked.

I'm not convinced the OG story is as convoluted as Mr Naylor makes out, I think we'll see him land at a better paid, "bigger" job in the near future. That is not to say I don't think there are issues around player recruitment, just that they are issues that need finessing rather than a sledgehammer taken to them.

This board has completely lost sight of how well we've done over the last 2 years. If this is against a backdrop of a senior management structure that isn't quite working, that'll get sorted. We all act like we have more invested in this club than TB's £130m. We don't.

Indeed. We've done briliantly - there's a limit to just how 'broken' all this 'broken' stuff is.

This summer should have been a great opportunity for Oscar. He's either off to a new job somewhere sunny (Celta Vigo?) or he's simply a bit flaky and not up for the challenge that we thought he was. The other stuff is just the handy excuse. He had to give some reason, after all.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Against the Grain: I think the Committee system is better than a dictatorship for signing multi-million £ players. Then they can all get the blame. Unless the Manager has been on a financial accounting course and got a bit of experience in financial matters, it can very easily get into a Sunderland situation under Bruce where the club bank-rolled flops.

Not that I think the decision making has been great. FFP compliance made for short term solutions over petty cash (e.g. caterers). Grabban was never going to join us anyway. I had impression was he was just sounding out his future. To see what was on offer.

There's got to be some sort of committee system but I think the problem is with the one we currently have. It seems too many have a say. Whilst throwing large amounts of money at signings isn't the way forward, there still has to be an element of a spearhead in transfer targets which should be the manager. You do have to leave some sort if trust in the manager and allow them to head the hunt for potential signings. It seems our system is flawed and far from signing Multi million players, we aren't signing anyone apart from DS players for a few grand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

A horse designed by a committee yesterday

acamel.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The reality is we have to face up to FFP, it would be nice to spend loads on expensive players / wages but we have to live within our means.

If only this country would do the same thing as the government piles on the debt, still out of control

FFP is going to catch up with the free spenders in the Championship, in the long term Blooms's investment in proper infrastructure will pay dividends..

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So the Manager gets fired if he doesn't perform but isn't allowed to chose the players he signs.

Might as well make Burke the manager and hire in someone to take the training.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There's got to be some sort of committee system but I think the problem is with the one we currently have. It seems too many have a say. Whilst throwing large amounts of money at signings isn't the way forward, there still has to be an element of a spearhead in transfer targets which should be the manager. You do have to leave some sort if trust in the manager and allow them to head the hunt for potential signings. It seems our system is flawed and far from signing Multi million players, we aren't signing anyone apart from DS players for a few grand.

That's just what Oscar Garcia says. I suspect a communication problem ??? Personality clash ???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here