Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt on Monday Night - Applaud or Boo ? - Discuss

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All our favourite players here at the moment will leave if they get a better offer elsewhere, despite any kissing of the badge or applauding the fans after a game.

And I don't think anyone has a problem with that. We'd all do the same.

But going on strike to force a move...that's different.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty much the only albion player I can remember who went on strike ( except for Dunk who patched things up ), and left under a cloud of thunder.

He's a zero to me, not sure I can even be bothered to boo though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For those who really do have a problem with the said Liam Bridcutt . . .

Surely the best way of making our feelings known, is to win the game and collect all three points. Subtle, but far more effective than booing him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Surely the best way of making our feelings known, is to win the game and collect all three points. Subtle, but far more effective than booing him.

He's only on loan at Leeds. He really won't give a toss about the result, as long as he's getting paid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It worked at Ashton Gate for Sam Baldock.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
There should be something standard for these sorts of situations. Perhaps we should invent something. He doesn't warrant a BOO, but he forgoed his right to applause. There should be something else available.

a Raspberry??

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Not according to Oscar:

"He was available for selection but he spoke with Nathan and he said that maybe he would not be focused on the game 100%," Garcia told The Argus.

"A lot of things are happening around him and he was honest and for this he didn't play. I trust all the players. I know how they are.

Yep, I know how they are too...and trustworthy is not a word I'd ascribe to all players!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Same as just about any other professional football player then. Or indeed anybody else doing any kind of paid job to be honest :shrug:

Well...I think most players carry an inherent desire to win with and for their team mates, and want to help drive the club forward, if they're playing for the club that actually employs them as opposed to being on loan somewhere.

But in Bridcutts case, his career is on the fritz to the extent that he's been binned off to a shitty Championship club that's been going nowhere for as long as anyone can remember, and will be going absolutely nowhere (again) this season. So whats his motivation ?

We've all seen our fair share of loan players at the Albion just going through the motions and picking up a wage. I could name dozens. SOME pull out all the stops and play their hearts out for the club even though they're only there on loan, but its pretty rare. I don't think Bridcutt is going to be one of those, somehow.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Whilst it was a shame the way that he went about it, all Liam Bridcutt was doing, was trying to secure a move that he felt would be beneficial to him. Were we able to offer him the chance to play in the Premier League?, no we weren't. We weren't then, and we haven't been able to since.

If you had the chance to move to a rival company for the offer of better prospects and or salary, would you turn it down?, no of course you wouldn't.

That's what this is to professional footballers, just another job. In the short period of time they have, they want to do as well as they can, and make as much money as possible.

We shouldn't deny them the right to do that, or deride them when they do.

It's not the moving on to a better opportunity that upset supporters. It was the I'm not going to pull my weight or help the club out instead I shall sulk as I didn't get the move I wanted even though he had a contract which he had signed with us he didn't fulfil his part.

Bennett is slightly different, he put in a transfer request and played his part throughout the remainder of his time with us. e.g acted professionally

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Nathan Jones didn't say it. Nathan Jones said that he'd said it.

I'm sure Liam was still in the frame of mind to pick up his ten grand a week from us, or whatever he was on at the time when he'd downed tools. Not sure my employer would be quite as generous if I rung in and said "sorry, I'm not in the frame of mind to work at the moment..."
At the end of the day he took the piss and was a big cry baby while he collected his wages.
Great player at what he did,but he's no Stephens or kayal that's for sure.

I'd say do nothing although if anything a boo is more likely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At the end of the day he took the piss and was a big cry baby while he collected his wages.
Great player at what he did,but he's no Stephens or kayal that's for sure.

I'd say do nothing although if anything a boo is more likely.

Will you be there?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
There should be something standard for these sorts of situations. Perhaps we should invent something. He doesn't warrant a BOO, but he forgoed his right to applause. There should be something else available.

I reckon a "you're shit ahahhhhhhhhhhhh" followed by raucous derisive laughter should do the job.

Staggers me he got two man of season awards in a row. Brighton fans love a trier

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Whilst it was a shame the way that he went about it, all Liam Bridcutt was doing, was trying to secure a move that he felt would be beneficial to him. Were we able to offer him the chance to play in the Premier League?, no we weren't. We weren't then, and we haven't been able to since.

If you had the chance to move to a rival company for the offer of better prospects and or salary, would you turn it down?, no of course you wouldn't.

That's what this is to professional footballers, just another job. In the short period of time they have, they want to do as well as they can, and make as much money as possible.

We shouldn't deny them the right to do that, or deride them when they do.

Football is slightly different by the nature of the contracts of employment.
A club is obliged to pay a player's agreed wage for the agreed timescale, e.g. Kemy, so why is it acceptable for a player to force a sale against a club's wishes?

Players would do well to remember that contracts work both ways. Bridcutt was happy to sign an extension the year before and, because of that, he was able to continue picking up a pay cheque despite being injured for the first 3-4 months of the 13/14 season, not to mention have his medical bills and rehab paid for by his employers. As such, he should have respected the club's wish to keep him for the 2nd half of the season.

I'd boo him. What else would he expect?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Staggers me he got two man of season awards in a row. Brighton fans love a trier

Strange remark. Bridcutt was a class act when he still wanted to play for us, consistently our stand-out player. He was a LOT more than a "trier".

Strange remark. Bridcutt was a class act when he still wanted to play for us, consistently our stand-out player. He was a LOT more than a "trier".

Ah OK I apologise profusely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here