Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is totally deluded!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
It's fair to say if Hyypia had taken over from Poyet we wouldn't have been anywhere near the play offs last season, to lose one great manager is a shame to lose two makes you question the ability of those running the club

your right Ernie of course, every time a chairman chooses a manager that is not doing great after 4 months, he should question his ability to run the club and sell up ;-)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's fair to say if Hyypia had taken over from Poyet we wouldn't have been anywhere near the play offs last season, to lose one great manager is a shame to lose two makes you question the ability of those running the club

A sensible, considered post.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
.... and it was true. Due to those constraints, he didn't feel we could better that season for the foreseeable. It's hard to disagree based on what we've seen since, and what we heard last week.

I guess you're right. Some managers are able to succeed through their choice of tactics and getting the best out of their squad whereas others need to buy their success.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
This. Gus has been proved correct.

Correct in what sense?

If TB had let Gus spend another £10M would that have guaranteed promotion? Or £20M?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
A sensible, considered post.
We might have had some luck against Wigan but a bit of luck was overdue. 1. Ulloas don't grow in trees. 2. There are no mugs in the division this season. 3. Goal difference suggests Brighton deserve a few more points 4. Not all teams who have been up to the Prem are on a good financial footing particularly the one's who thought paying players more money improves results.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Correct in what sense?

If TB had let Gus spend another £10M would that have guaranteed promotion? Or £20M?

Correct insofar as 4th being our "ceiling" at the present time. No "if" about the question of those additional funds you mention in your post. The new recruitment structure was in place, and combined with the financial restrictions that the club were imposing, there was no sense in debating the "what if" or another £10m or £20m.

As for you comment above, about some managers buying success .... according to TB, the current squad is the highest earning squad in our HISTORY! When Oscar came in, TB told us that he had an increased playing budget on the previous year. yes, some managers buy success, but plenty spend more money and achieve less.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Poyet and Garcia were GREAT managers ? Blimey Ernie. I thought only good and honest full ENGLISH managers called Sam not Sami can save the Albion.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Correct insofar as 4th being our "ceiling" at the present time. No "if" about the question of those additional funds you mention in your post. The new recruitment structure was in place, and combined with the financial restrictions that the club were imposing, there was no sense in debating the "what if" or another £10m or £20m.

As for you comment above, about some managers buying success .... according to TB, the current squad is the highest earning squad in our HISTORY! When Oscar came in, TB told us that he had an increased playing budget on the previous year. yes, some managers buy success, but plenty spend more money and achieve less.

I think you'll find that the increase in players earning will be largely accounted for by the increase in the size of the squad.

The transfer budget is something else entirely.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Correct in what sense?

We do know that Gus was expecting to further strengthen the side after the Ulloa signing in that Transfer window, but this did not happen.
So this may have been where the hit the ceiling comment came from.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you'll find that the increase in players earning will be largely accounted for by the increase in the size of the squad.

The transfer budget is something else entirely.

Has the size of the first team squad really increased since 2012/13 or 2013/14?
How much ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We might have had some luck against Wigan but a bit of luck was overdue. 1. Ulloas don't grow in trees. 2. There are no mugs in the division this season. 3. Goal difference suggests Brighton deserve a few more points 4. Not all teams who have been up to the Prem are on a good financial footing particularly the one's who thought paying players more money improves results.

I think you might've quoted the wrong post...?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We do know that Gus was expecting to further strengthen the side after the Ulloa signing in that Transfer window, but this did not happen.
So this may have been where the hit the ceiling comment came from.

We loaned Upson, bought Ulloa for £2m and made a bid for that Dutch centre back who surprisingly enough chose Celtic / likely Champions League football over us despite the fact that we were willing to pay £2m+.
Did we really not back Gus that season ? We had the 8th biggest wage bill in the Championship in 2012/13.
£21m wage bill. via https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/453906419360612352 and elsewhere...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Has the size of the first team squad really increased since 2012/13 or 2013/14?
How much ?

Both Sami and the club (TB?) have referred to increased squad depth as a priority this season but I haven't the wit/inclination to search out where it's documented!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spot on.
I thought Oscar performed bloody miracles with the hand he was dealt (summed up well, above) & deserved far better than the slightly bitter & lazy cheap shots TB took at him when he left.

I agree TB did come across as a pretty bitter in the interviews after Oscar walked and managed to make it sound like he wasn't very good either.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Both Sami and the club (TB?) have referred to increased squad depth as a priority this season but I haven't the wit/inclination to search out where it's documented!

Hard to tell until we see the accounts in a year or so but agreed TB said in his interviews over the weekend that the squad was stronger in depth. My understanding from this is that the fringe players, were according to him, stronger in terms of experience and quality compared to previous Champ seasons. On paper at least. (ex prem players like Hughes, Agustien - less ex L1 graduates such as Painter, Navarro and Dicker)
The numbers in the first team squad (c25 with incoming and outgoing loans and some changes throughout the season depending on injuries etc) look no different to 12/13 or 13/14 or 14/15.

Wages are up , according to TB from the £21m in 2012/13 - when they were the 8th highest in the league and massively increased on 2010/11 and 2011/12 - he said OG had a higher playing budget than Gus. and last week confirmed that wages/squad were the highest ever.

Given football wage inflation and TB's ambition and the money he's thrown at the club then unsure that just because the squad are struggling results wisse and the consensus is that the squad is weaker also means that we're paying less.
Sadly, if its TB and your budget, then this is almost certainly not the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here