Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Lopez - real hatred from an Albion fan

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few in 1901 doing the same. I don't think he is ever going to bring a Roy Keane like physicality to the table but his instant control and passing skills plus his positional play are, in my opinion, top draw. Funnily enough the moaners in 1901 are the same 'fans' who used to castigate Barnes. The same in WSU?

They will always have it in for an Albion player, having made up their black-and-white minds, just that type of miserable personality. If Lopez left, it would simply be another player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's simple. Football fans aren't stupid and can spot an uncommitted bottle job a mile off. You have to be an INCREDIBLE player to get away with jumping out the way of tackles. That one Lopez didn't even contest in the first half yesterday was absolutely scandalous. Unfortunately for him he is not an incredible player. In fact, on this season's evidence, he is a poor player. Poor player + refusal to fight = fans on his back. It's really not hard to work out and he deserves every single piece of grief he gets.

Dean Wilkins and Ryan Harley made a career of that ... jumping out the way of tackles.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That one Lopez didn't even contest in the first half yesterday was absolutely scandalous

If it's the incident I'm thinking of (when a lot of people around me criticised him for not trying to tackle two men) he was actually pushed by the reading player. Two hands on his chest and shoved him away. The ref was behind it, so didn't see, but that should have been a free kick to us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great response Acker, but really my point is that we can produce attacking stats, but defending comes from the front as well and all players have a responsibility.

The days of the playmaker are all but gone, players need to be athletes and be able to create and tackle back, you only have to look at why Mourinho has off-loaded Mata.

Spanish Dave only 'creates' occasionally these days and as I've highlighted the defensive side is woeful, which incidentally, I can't understand as when he played right back last season he excelled.

For me he is undeniably the weakest link in the team and I can see no reason why Oscar is playing him.

2 assists, a goal and a MoM award all in the last 4 games. He's creating more than anyone bar Ulloa pretty much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A few in 1901 doing the same. I don't think he is ever going to bring a Roy Keane like physicality to the table but his instant control and passing skills plus his positional play are, in my opinion, top draw. Funnily enough the moaners in 1901 are the same 'fans' who used to castigate Barnes. The same in WSU?

Interestingly I'm in 1901 and never moaned at Barnes because he gave 100%. Even the red cards were largely down to his desire to win. Spanish Dave, different player granted, does not have that desire, and as the Complete Badger has highlighted, every 'fan', even those in 1901 can spot someone who 'bottles' challenges.

It does not make them any less of a fan for pointing it out. Perhaps their desire for us to win is greater than yours and perhaps that manifests itself in getting annoyed at someone not giving their all. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
2 assists, a goal and a MoM award all in the last 4 games. He's creating more than anyone bar Ulloa pretty much.

MoM? Really?

Other than the penalty at Millwall he was dire, hopeless Hull away, ok but not great vs Wigan and poor Saturday.

Is Saturday really counted as an assist (serious question), it was stupid defending.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
MoM? Really?

Other than the penalty at Millwall he was dire, hopeless Hull away, ok but not great vs Wigan and poor Saturday.

Is Saturday really counted as an assist (serious question), it was stupid defending.

He was very good against Wigan which doesn't fit a lot of people's opinion of him at the moment. He HAS been poor this season but he is contributing to the team at the moment. Of course it counts as an assist, he put the cross in.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There was a good piece in the Observer yesterday by a bloke who interviewed Roberto Martinez and Mourinho recently.
Martinez mentioned that when he came to England he kept being told to tackle even though he was useless at it, and said he became half the play he could have been because of this. He never tells his players to do anything they're not good at. I think Oscar seems much more of a Martinez than a Mourinho.

I don't think Lopez has been as good this season but over the last month or so he's been our best attacker. He aslo playing with an unfit striker and a completely different player each week on the other flank.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In answer to my own question, three league goals and three assists, two in one game, thats 15 points, just under a third of our points. That maybe why he plays?

Funny because his inability to deliver and lack of defensive nous has probably cost the same!

Seriously, you can produce as many stats as you like, but rarely do they tell the whole story and the is another classic case.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was very good against Wigan which doesn't fit a lot of people's opinion of him at the moment. He HAS been poor this season but he is contributing to the team at the moment. Of course it counts as an assist, he put the cross in.

Sorry Mellotron, but no way was he very good, he was ok, which is why he was withdrawn.

He was however, very good when he set Conway up, ?Blackburn, thought he was on his way back then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry Mellotron, but no way was he very good, he was ok, which is why he was withdrawn.

He was withdrawn against Wigan as the 3rd change because we were 2-0 down with 14mins to play and threw on a 2nd striker. We had already taken Ward off for Lua Lua, Buckley was already on for Rodney. We'd played well up until then, and to be fair, Lopez had put a shift in and I agree with [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] had one of his better games, in fact I couldn't really complain about our performance.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was withdrawn against Wigan as the 3rd change because we were 2-0 down with 14mins to play and threw on a 2nd striker. We had already taken Ward off for Lua Lua, Buckley was already on for Rodney. We'd played well up until then, and to be fair, Lopez had put a shift in and I agree with [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] had one of his better games, in fact I couldn't really complain about our performance.

Yes I thought he was ok as I have stated, I thnk I rated him 7 in the ratings.

But if he was as big as influence as some on this thread think he would not have been sacrificed. He could have been shifted more central.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

He was however, very good when he set Conway up, ?Blackburn, thought he was on his way back then.

Perhaps who he is playing with and the set up of the team needs to be addressed. He is without doubt the best technical player and best striker of the ball that we have. He is wasted on the right wing and should be running the midfield looking forward, we have others, Ince, Andrews to clear up at the back and support the defence. He is following his instructions which in my opinion are wasting his talent and our opportunity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...we have others, Ince, Andrews to clear up at the back and support the defence. He is following his instructions which in my opinion are wasting his talent and our opportunity.

I'm not sure the only thing Andrews should be clearing up is the kit after the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was it vulture ???

Perhaps who he is playing with and the set up of the team needs to be addressed. He is without doubt the best technical player and best striker of the ball that we have. He is wasted on the right wing and should be running the midfield looking forward, we have others, Ince, Andrews to clear up at the back and support the defence. He is following his instructions which in my opinion are wasting his talent and our opportunity.

Maybe and it's a valid point. But as supporters we can only judge what we see, which this season has not been good enough.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
On current form there were 3 players on the bench who should have started ahead of him.

This. He is NOT, repeat NOT a winger. What was Oscar thinking?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here