Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ok so who have had a decent bid for, in the last year, that we haven't sold so far? Dunk apart..

Decent bid is not the same as "any player we get a bid for"...
Which players who have asked to leave have not been sold ? - Chris O Grady for starters but he's the rare example of the club discussing his transfer situation in public.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok let's say we sell Dunk to West Brom for £5m.

Glenn Rae steps up for our promotion season and is 'player of the division'.
The Albion will still sell Rae but this time it'll be Man Utd for £10m

The Albion now march into a UEFA Cup spot under the guidance of Dallision.
The Albion will still sell him to Arsenal for £20m

The Albion now quarter finalists in the Champions League solely thanks to Walton.
The Albion will sell him to Barca for £30m.

Why assume such a small fish like the Albion can fend off the advances of massive financial giants like West Brom or Leicester?

Bit early in the day to be doing strong hallucinogenic drugs isn't it??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which players who have asked to leave have not been sold ? - Chris O Grady for starters but he's the rare example of the club discussing his transfer situation in public.

Has he ever put in transfer request or is he wanting to go back north just gossip?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'll give you O'Grady but seeing as we were so piss poor upfront it would have been complete madness to let him go at that stage of the season, having screwed up so completely on striker acquisitions in the summer. I expect to see his wish granted this summer though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ok so who have had a decent bid for, in the last year, that we haven't sold so far? Dunk apart..

Which players who have asked to leave have not been sold?

Which of the players we sold didn't want to leave?

My opinion is that the only one of the four main players to be sold recently that we perhaps could have done more to keep was Barnes. Leo, Bridcutt and Buckley all went to PL teams that we cannot hope to compete with on wages - at a bare minimum their wages would have doubled, more likely more than that, so in those instances the club really did not have a choice.

Re Dunk, if a PL team come in for him (which I doubt) the same may well happen - if he wants to go and they offer him a huge wage, there really is not a lot the club can do to keep him. Selling him to another Championship club is another matter unless one of the minted up parachute payment lot offer him a fortune too.

Clearly the club have a policy of not keeping players that do not want to be here anymore (other than CoG)_- perhaps there have been instances in the recent past where keeping them has been detrimental to the squad as a whole? Who knows.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'll give you O'Grady ... I expect to see his wish granted this summer though.

My guess is that since Hughton rocking up thats not his wish anymore.
re: transfers . Not sure why it has to be so black and white. Clearly we don't know all the bids we receive for players, the club rightly don't make public a lot of transfer negotiations, and we've largely no idea if players want to leave or not unless they go public with it. My guess in his case is the club mutually wanted a separation at Xmas, but Hughton/Jones arriving meant a fresh look at COG. He did well in January/Feb in terms of form , a few goals and things have now completely changed for both the club/the player.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To sum up and to save you from reading every other "Bid for x or y" thread this summer.

The club will sell every player, who the press report, are wanted by x or y and obviously at the first sniff of a bid. Which is a disaster and we'll be relegated.
Although hang on that doesn't matter because we should sell every player anyway, cos they're nearly all rubbish. And of course every other player left , the decent ones - only Kayal basically, all want to leave , and the club, who are also rubbish, want to make as much money as possible selling players , but are also so rubbish they'll sell anyone to anyone even if its for 50p cos they can't negotiate for toffee, and don't care about the squad, because they're distracted by building a hotel.

Have a good summer everyone.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
My guess is that since Hughton rocking up thats not his wish anymore.
re: transfers . Not sure why it has to be so black and white. Clearly we don't know all the bids we receive for players, the club rightly don't make public a lot of transfer negotiations, and we've largely no idea if players want to leave or not unless they go public with it. My guess in his case is the club mutually wanted a separation at Xmas, but Hughton/Jones arriving meant a fresh look at COG. He did well in January/Feb in terms of form , a few goals and things have now completely changed for both the club/the player.

Really? I would have thought the way he was treated after he was persuaded to stay would have made him even more desperate to leave.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not really. It could mean that we think that the money he could attract from other clubs could be spent better elsewhere.

I agree, though for the hierarchy "spent better elsewhere" probably means, spent trousering the profit then trawling around for some old or just relegated dross, and if failing even in that pursuit, loaning another championship clubs cast offs.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
According to Paul Barber when a player wants to leave we then get the best deal for the club.

Every player is for sale. For a price.

Exactly right. Every club is a 'selling club' if the offer is big enough! I don't have a big problem with us selling Dunky if the price meets our valuation. It's what we do with the proceeds that worried me though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To sum up and to save you from reading every other "Bid for x or y" thread this summer.

The club will sell every player, who the press report, are wanted by x or y and obviously at the first sniff of a bid. Which is a disaster and we'll be relegated.
Although hang on that doesn't matter because we should sell every player anyway, cos they're nearly all rubbish. And of course every other player left , the decent ones - only Kayal basically, all want to leave , and the club, who are also rubbish, want to make as much money as possible selling players , but are also so rubbish they'll sell anyone to anyone even if its for 50p cos they can't negotiate for toffee, and don't care about the squad, because they're distracted by building a hotel.

Have a good summer everyone.

At LAST you've seen the light, welcome aboard the sinking Albion ship :wink:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fair enough if we sell him to a Premier League club but if we sell him to Derby or Fulham it's making a statement that our sole intention next season is to try avoid relegation again.

Absolute big fat THIS! I would be extremely pee'd off and extremely worried about our intentions for next season if we were to sell arguably one of our best players to a club in the same division.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The key is the size of the sell on %.

We don't want to sell Dunk to Bournemouth for 3 million, and then have them sell him on for 8 million in 2-3 years time.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
The key is the size of the sell on %.

We don't want to sell Dunk to Bournemouth for 3 million, and then have them sell him on for 8 million in 2-3 years time.
This is Lewis Dunk we are talking about. Potential yes, worth 8 million.....never. We let cook & Elphick go....They will be playing against top players next season but I still don't think the combination of both are worth 8 million. Dunk has a long way to go before he commands a big fee, I would snap Bournemouth's hand off for 3 million but they have our previous players who are just as good.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
The question should be then - why are we unable to keep players happy here?

We managed to keep Bobby Zamora here for an extra season, with Premier League interest - despite playing at a joke of a ground and paying him a pittance.

Now we have a state of the art training ground, paying decent wages, in a Premier League ready stadium - yet this isn't enough to keep players interested - why is this?

This is a question that has baffled me for ages. All the things a player should look for are in place, including a great area to live in, yet they don't sign for us. It could just be the money on the table but that can't be the only thing stopping them. Perhaps we should conduct an "exit poll" of potential signings as they leave for less pleasant and more northerly climes to find out what their thinking is........

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Alternatively the club are confident, this summer, it will receive an offer it can't refuse for Dunk.

Leaking news of a couple of derisory in the hope they flush out the big money now instead of 31.08, when it's no use to anybody.

£31.08 ? :facepalm: We're talking about Lewis Dunk NOT Jake Forster Caskey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here