Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camber Sands

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are illegal immigrants. My reasoning is that police were originally called to one person in the sea. Whilst they were there two more bodies were pulled out. Then a further two this evening. Of course just speculation on my part.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Crazy to see this going on at Camber, I know the odd tragedy is going to happen at beaches every now and again but 5/6 people in a day, what on earth happened?

I know that jellyfish was mentioned but I could've sworn that either the bbc or argus article said that they weren't the cause. Then again, at this stage no-one's likely to have a clue I guess.

Jellyfish dismissed, as reported the type we get here the sting is milder than a stinging nettle one

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This makes no sense. The sea was flat calm. High tide late pm. Camber has no undertow, and although the tide goes out a long way, the sands are gentle and there is no rip. I have been there countless times. I hesitate to suggest, but could it be the case that sauce was involved? :shrug:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
taken from an online national newspaper just now

Eyewitnesses said that strangely the men were fully clothed and did not appear to have any family or friends on the beach with them.

The led to speculation that the victims could be illegal immigrants.

However, a Sussex Police source said last night: “We’ve been advised that there is currently nothing to suggest the men were migrants.”

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are illegal immigrants. My reasoning is that police were originally called to one person in the sea. Whilst they were there two more bodies were pulled out. Then a further two this evening. Of course just speculation on my part.

How you reckon they know one is missing?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

taken from an online national newspaper just now

Wild speculation or you've just read a newspapers wild speculation?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How you reckon they know one is missing?

A member of the public walking on the beach this evening discovered a further 2 bodies washed up on the sand and reported another body in the sea. They alerted the emergency services who recovered two casualties and are attempting to locate the third.

Hopefully this is the full extent of it but I shouldn't be surprised if daybreak reveals further casualties.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I used to regularly go shrimping there with my cousins back in the 70/80's. Even working our nets waste deep it was one of the safest beaches imaginable.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Reports coming in that they were fully-clothed and of Asian appearance. Suggests that they were would-be illegals, dropped off-shore and attempting to swim to land.

Utterly implausible that 5-6 holiday-makers would or could drown off Camber Sands within minutes of each other on a flat, balmy day in August.
Camber Sands,FFS flat as a mill pond. Your post has some sense in it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Camber Sands,FFS flat as a mill pond. Your post has some sense in it.

On a typical summers day 25'000 people enjoy the sea at Camber Sands without incident. But today 3 fully-clothed men wash-up on the beach within minutes of each other, in perfect bathing conditions - followed by a further two at dusk plus another (yet to be recovered) spotted floating in the surf.

This wasn't a jolly day at the sea-side gone tragically wrong.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So sad that 5 PEOPLE have lost their lives - Almost as sad that the pejorative use of 'illegal immigrants' has so casually slipped in to the vernacular, and thus the tragedy is downgraded a level or 2 with the addition of 2 small words.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So sad that 5 PEOPLE have lost their lives - Almost as sad that the pejorative use of 'illegal immigrants' has so casually slipped in to the vernacular, and thus the tragedy is downgraded a level or 2 with the addition of 2 small words.

Oh do f**k off !

It matters whether they were just day trippers/ tourists enjoying a day at the seaside or illegal immigrants.

Camber Sands as has been stated can be used by thousands of holiday makers. The local community economy depends on it. If the deaths were the result of illegal immigrants being off-loaded then thousands of parents etc etc will continue to use Camber Sands. Nobody relishes people dying....prick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here