Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex or Goldstone?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Unfortunately as it has taken til page 4 for such a comment, your sarcasm is, as the kids say, an epic fail. People are clearly happy to discuss it again. Maybe if the thread title was a bit clearer it wouldn't have eaten into your precious time.

Sorry for the repeat thread, didn't check. Just getting all nostalgic after my trip to Fulham. Reminded me of the old NS going mental although less crowded and didn't end up 20 yards down the terrace with one shoe missing, but still f****ing great fun!
Thinking about the old days with my rosie glasses on!

WE ARE BLUE, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F****ING DYNAMITE, LA LA LA, LA LA LA, LA LA.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
i'm not talking about Gates, the Goldstone was the clubs birth place therefore it will always be number one , footballs gone all plastic and the Amex sits nicely into that market , if you buy into it fair do's SADLY THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE IS STAGED MANAGED FOR ME
regards
DR

Talking utter rubbish!! Can't live in the past. Things change for the better. We used to all live in caves! Not any more.

Sorry for the repeat thread, didn't check. Just getting all nostalgic after my trip to Fulham. Reminded me of the old NS going mental although less crowded and didn't end up 20 yards down the terrace with one shoe missing, but still f****ing great fun!
Thinking about the old days with my rosie glasses on!

WE ARE BLUE, WE ARE WHITE, WE ARE F****ING DYNAMITE, LA LA LA, LA LA LA, LA LA.

Don't apologise to me a)I'm loving it b) I don't get my knickers in a twist if someone posts a thread that's been previously discussed and c) as a mere contributor what people start threads on has nothing to do with me

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Unfortunately as it has taken til page 4 for such a comment, your sarcasm is, as the kids say, an epic fail. People are clearly happy to discuss it again. Maybe if the thread title was a bit clearer it wouldn't have eaten into your precious time.

It's outrageous Doc, someone starting a thread on a football forum about football grounds. :whistle:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A big night game in the late 70s early 80s (Ipswich in the League Cup, Sheffield Weds the night we got promoted to Division 2, Malcolm Allison's Palace) was something very special at the Goldstone, the Amex seldom comes close in atmosphere IMO ( Weds in the semi final last year perhaps?) Maybe it was because I was so much younger and more enthusiastic. However the Amex is streets ahead as a stadium and is much more fitting to modern day football at the top level :shrug:

Perfectly put. I would add beating Palace 2-0 in 76 with two Sammy Morgan goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonniville

Jan 29, 2012
i agree with you although i like the amex it not the same atmosphere i started watching brighton back in 70/71 season and i think you could get more in goldstone then the amex and you could take your pint and watch the game instead of how it is now not allowed to take your pint to your seat.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Anything with a big seething terrace for me tbh. The amex with the Goldstone's north stand :drool:

Now you're talking. Look a bit odd with a straight corrugated roof against all those sexy curves though.
SS for the NS Amex faithful please Mr Bloom. ( Comfy seats for the infirm and generally grumpy at the front of course). :thumbsup:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
i agree with you although i like the amex it not the same atmosphere i started watching brighton back in 70/71 season and i think you could get more in goldstone then the amex and you could take your pint and watch the game instead of how it is now not allowed to take your pint to your seat.

It seems inconceivable that you could buy bottles of beer and you were given the bottle - had many a light ale there.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Clearly the Amex for me and watching the Albion in the late 80's onwards I bloody hated the shitehole as it was run down big time....that main stand was also horrible amongst other things.
Loved standing but I'd say the real wonder days were the 60's and 70's at the goldstone and after that it was dire days and recessions that didn't help to be fair.

Good riddance is harsh but certainly not missed by me:D

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I never went to the Goldstone as I wasn't even in Primary School, so my opinion is always going to be skewed considering how we had to deal with Withdean and moving to the Amex, it still feels a bit unreal that its the exact same club.

If you gave me the opportunity to travel back in time just to visit the Goldstone I would do it though, just for a chance to see what it was like.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Much as I loved the Goldstone, it was never going to be one of the top 20 grounds in the country. I think the Amex, despite the small ends and in some ways inconvenient location (although fine if you use public transport) would slot in to those. Outside of the really big stages, it stands comparison with anything in the country. Notably, it has a bit of character at a time when many new grounds were effectively identical.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Loved the Goldstone. If it was a choice between bouncing on the North Stand in an 18,000 gate for an evening game, or the wonderful Amex full to the rafters - I'm choosing the Goldstone. But thats a one-off (or a few times perhaps) - for building our future and becoming a force in the game, its the Amex all the way. And we couldn't have kept that terrace in any case.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Haven't been to the Amex yet, it was still under construction when I was last there, though I did get a sneaky tour.
I am planning to be back in August, so should make the first couple of our Premier League games.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Haven't been to the Amex yet, it was still under construction when I was last there, though I did get a sneaky tour.
I am planning to be back in August, so should make the first couple of our Premier League games.

Know your right and hope you can get a ticket! Will the club help u out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here