Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like looking like a flying deck chair.

Do Nike do any cycling gear at all?

They do! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nike-hypercool-comp-shortsleeve-top-20-fa14/

So they could just slap some Albion stuff on this. A giant seagull dropping?
Yeah obviously Nike were heavily involved with Laney-poohs.

But they do have form as they produce a Barca cycling shirt, which unsurprisingly looks the business.

I'd wear an Albion related 'Ride or Fall' cycling jersey, just not a blue and white striped one.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Prendas do a nice bit of nike cycling gear... :cool:

Prendas - UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE RETRO COTTON CAP

Thanks to the cycling geeks encouragement a few pages back, I have done two things that I am excited about. Firstly, bought some proper clipless shoes - no more toe clips for me (well, toe clips will stay until the weather gets better). I've actually been looking for shoes for ages, but struggled to find anything to fit my feet, which are both big - size 13 - and wide. Secondly, I have entered my first sportive - it is only a 50k one, rated as easy on the British Cycling website, but we all have to start somewhere...

I look forward to regaling you with comedy fall stories.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A little more support...

Paul Hayward (@_PaulHayward) tweeted at 9:52pm - 22 Jan 15:

The campaign to save Preston Park cycling track in Brighton - "the country's oldest" - is becoming a mighty peloton m.facebook.com/saveprestonpar…

https://twitter.com/_PaulHayward/status/558381674682396674?s=17

More info about saving the Preston Park Velodrome:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11740243.Racing_banned_at_Britain_s_oldest_cycle_track_after_velodrome_deemed_unsafe/
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/preston-park-velodrome-receives-racing-ban-safety-fears-153833
e-petition: http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=447&RPID=13307132&HPID=13307132

British Cycling made the following statement:
· “British Cycling recognises the value of the Preston Park facility to local users and we are working with Brighton and Hove City Council to find a solution as quickly as possible.
· “The track was closed to competitive cycling after users of the track identified, in particular, the fencing but also other aspects of the track as in need of repair.
· “Some repairs were carried out by Brighton and Hove City Council but concerns remain about certain parts of the track where it is thought that safety may be compromised in competitive events.
· “British Cycling has met with representatives from the council to discuss the work. They acknowledge there are still some challenges which need to be addressed and they have agreed to look into what will be required to bring the track up to standard.
· “In the meantime, British Cycling has commissioned a condition survey of our own which will include an assessment of the cost to repair the fencing and carry out the remedial work required.
· “Like the hundreds of people in the area who value the facility, we look forward to competitive cycling returning to Preston Park in the near future.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Prendas do a nice bit of nike cycling gear... :cool:

Prendas - UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE RETRO COTTON CAP

Thanks to the cycling geeks encouragement a few pages back, I have done two things that I am excited about. Firstly, bought some proper clipless shoes - no more toe clips for me (well, toe clips will stay until the weather gets better). I've actually been looking for shoes for ages, but struggled to find anything to fit my feet, which are both big - size 13 - and wide. Secondly, I have entered my first sportive - it is only a 50k one, rated as easy on the British Cycling website, but we all have to start somewhere...

I look forward to regaling you with comedy fall stories.
You can not call yourself a cyclist until you have had a comedy clipless fall, and then recounted it here.
I can't wait.

Enjoy the Sportive, hopefully it'll be with a good crowd.
I look forward to the report.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow! That was really good. Catch those TdU highlights if you can, it is well worth it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I've got it bad.

The Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 has now popped up on my 'most frequent tabs'. :facepalm:

T'is a shame I don't have a pot to wee-wee in.

Edit - oh nuts, without thinking I went from this post to Skybet, casting an eye over the market for tomorrow.

Calde FGS + Albion win 4-1 @ 2500/1.
Do I even bother to wait for 6pm tomorrow before ordering the bike?

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oh I've got it bad.

The Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 has now popped up on my 'most frequent tabs'. :facepalm:

T'is a shame I don't have a pot to wee-wee in.

Edit - oh nuts, without thinking I went from this post to Skybet, casting an eye over the market for tomorrow.

Calde FGS + Albion win 4-1 @ 2500/1.
Do I even bother to wait for 6pm tomorrow before ordering the bike?
I presume you put a tenner on?!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wow! That was really good. Catch those TdU highlights if you can, it is well worth it.

Cracking stage again!

Not sure why I'm being careful not to give out spoilers as it seems hardly anyone else here is interested. They don't know what they're missing.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cracking stage again!

Not sure why I'm being careful not to give out spoilers as it seems hardly anyone else here is interested. They don't know what they're missing.

I am watching it, but on catch up. I had been a day behind, but the Ipswich game has me further adrift.

Anyway, the fat elephant ride. Felt in the groove from the off today. Some rare flat lands to enjoy, so I led us out at a decent pace. Perhaps too decent. When we turned north to begin the ride back, it got tougher. We then missed a turn. I was a bit unsure until we went over the M20; that was not part of the route. That detour took us up what looked like a piss easy climb, but I grannyed it all the way. Realising the error, we agreed the only thing to do was come home down the A20. A flat open road with a head wind. Grimmacing while looking at 12mph on the garminge was no fun. I've never been so funked. The last 10 were murder. I even took a muddy short cut to get home. Loved it though.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Can anyone recommend a rack bag that will fix to the top of a narrow real (the rails are about 4cm apart), please? I don't want to take a pannier or with me on a day ride and loading up a bumbag gets uncomfortable. Ta.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Not a cyclist, however I have just seen this utter nonsense from Armstrong....

Lance Armstrong: I'd change the man, not the decision
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/30981609

Thinks he should be forgiven "soon". Basically thinks he's served his time and should be welcomed back into the fold like it never happened. The arrogance of the man is simply breathtaking!!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not a cyclist, however I have just seen this utter nonsense from Armstrong....

Lance Armstrong: I'd change the man, not the decision
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/30981609

Thinks he should be forgiven "soon". Basically thinks he's served his time and should be welcomed back into the fold like it never happened. The arrogance of the man is simply breathtaking!!!

He just doesn't realize or accept the lead role he played. He thinks, or is trying to kid everyone, that he was just one of the guys. He was the dark arts master.

Innocent cyclists today are still having to answer to accusations about doping because of the movement he not only embraced, he absolutely protected.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
SATURDAY 28 MARCH

It's International break time and surely an opportunity to stage another NSC Cycling Geeks ride.

Last time out we headed west. This time I suggest we go east.

So, who is up for it? Who wants to stick it in the diary today?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
SATURDAY 28 MARCH

It's International break time and surely an opportunity to stage another NSC Cycling Geeks ride.

Last time out we headed west. This time I suggest we go east.

So, who is up for it? Who wants to stick it in the diary today?
I can't commit because of work, but it's going in the diary.

It certainly would be good to head into lesser Sussex.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can't commit because of work, but it's going in the diary.

It certainly would be good to head into lesser Sussex.

OK Stat. Perhaps we can be flexible on dates nearer the time. Maybe the Sunday. We'll see.

What about others? [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
OK Stat. Perhaps we can be flexible on dates nearer the time. Maybe the Sunday. We'll see.

What about others? [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]

Sorry Hamilton working from the Thursday through to Sunday night :( gutted would of loved to of met up with the eastern Seagulls.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No, unless there's a crazy majority that can't make it, the date is fine.
It'll never be perfect for all of us, it's a good date, and one we should stick too.

I'll certainly be doing what I can to make it.
I just won't know till nearer the time, possibly even just the week before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know you're a modern roadie when…

20. You return from an epic ride to find your GPS didn’t record and it feels like you just wasted your day and energy.

19. Your gears stopped working… because of a dead battery.

18. Your first ride of 2015 was on 2 January. All the achievable Strava KOMs were already taken.

17. You work out indoors on windy days because your aerodynamic frame and wheels are just too scary outside.

16. A rest day is when your GPS is turned off.

15. You can't train indoors because your computer has a virus.

14. You’re involved in a crash and you get X-rays… of your bike for insurance purposes. The sore ribs go ignored.

13. You see someone wearing a tiger-print skinsuit and your first thought is ‘brave’.

12. A car hits you because they didn’t see your ‘murdered-out’ bike and matching kit. Luckily, you caught the whole thing in HD video.

11. Your brakes are leaking oil.

10. Your power meter keeps cutting out – you decide it’s pointless to ride like this.

9. Distracted by your GPS, you hit the back of a car. (Perhaps using your Garmin while riding is no different to drivers texting?)

8. It’s wet outside, so you wonder if you should just ride your cyclocross bike on the road today?

7. You get a flat and find neither you nor anyone in your group has a 60/80mm valve tube. You call a cab/your spouse, delete the file off your GPS and pretend the ride never happened.

6. Your heart rate/cadence/speed or power sensor malfunctions and picks up the data of a young-gun riding past. You immediately screen-shot the effort.

5. You can’t operate your bike computer because the touchscreen doesn’t work with the gloves you’re wearing.

4. You have a Gran Fondo coming up, but can’t decide whether to use 50/34, 52/36 or 53/39 gearing on the front. And the rear cassette is a whole other drama!

3. You're sitting at the lights and go to push off – you shift for a gear but nothing happens. You quickly hear the laughter of your mate riding off and look down to find you’ve been unplugged.

2. Fixing a bottom bracket creak is no longer a matter of reaching for a wrench and grease. It now requires a hammer, a cup remover, a headset press, a new bottom bracket and a whole bunch of Loc-tite.

1. Your crankset tells you not to quit your day job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here