Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Judge

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm surprised there's so much vitriol against "go left". I'd prefer pretty much any song being sung to silence. I don't think "go left" is the best song I've ever heard, not by a long chalk, but it's way better than no song at all. :shrug:

That's the thing, though. Think of a song that you really dislike. Not just bad, but the musical equivalent of scratching a blackboard with your nails. That's what it's like for many of us to hear 'go left' being shouted several times during a game. I'd like there to be singing of songs supportive to the team. But would choose silence over this dirge.

el punal

As some posters have already stated, so far this is just rumour and hearsay. Yet, Paul Barber, the club, the stewards and other Albion fans are being slagged off before any evidence of a ban has been produced.

The question that needs answering is: Has the Judge and his friends been warned about their behaviour before? If so, would it have been verbal or written, and, would that have been officially sanctioned by the club.

I think in this instance it would probably be best to wait for an official confirmation, before people start barking up the wrong tree.

For what it's worth I hope this is just a storm in the teacup and those "accused" carry on being loud and proud. Vim and vigour to you all!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***Putting a tin hat on***

I like it.

It's not the same as every other bloody song.
Clearly we have EXACTLY the same repertoire as 'boro.
Sadly my away days a very few are far between, but Reading, now that's a funeral procession, had no idea what was going on, which is nice.

I'm sure it can be replaced with better, but until such time as people put their head above the parapet, it's better than nothing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As some posters have already stated, so far this is just rumour and hearsay. Yet, Paul Barber, the club, the stewards and other Albion fans are being slagged off before any evidence of a ban has been produced.

The question that needs answering is: Has the Judge and his friends been warned about their behaviour before? If so, would it have been verbal or written, and, would that have been officially sanctioned by the club.

I think in this instance it would probably be best to wait for an official confirmation, before people start barking up the wrong tree.

Good post that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well for the majority of the time that's what we get, so you must be mostly happy.

I am content. But then I don't measure the atmosphere of a match by how loudly The Judge and his cohorts can shout their way through their ditties. There is so much more to it, such as the frustration as a pass goes begging, the stunned cries as Ulloa fluffs his penalty, the laughter as Keith Andrews does his trick to beat a player, the hushed expectation as Lua Lua gets the ball on the wing.

I'm not saying that singing can't add tremendously to that. It can! However, it's songs that capture a moment perfectly (like 'The Great Escape' at the famous Burnley game) that achieve this. I'd much rather silence than pre-programmed songs that lyrically do not support the side and players, and are mere efforts to state which stand you are sitting in, and that you hate Crystal Palace.

There are people that are very up for singing. However, if they are so interested in it, why have they not come up with anything new that truly captures the flavour of Albion's team and situation in 2014? Being shot-shy, having a clumsy-yet-powerful running midfielder in Rohan, having a pacy winger who can't cross, and having a bald full-back who is a box of tricks and can't defend. All of this is good material for a new generation of songs that make others laugh and encourage them to join in. Usually, though, all we get from those keen on singing is 'go left', 'we're the north stand Brighton boys' and 'Alllll-bion'. They say nothing about the team, let alone be supportive of it. Even the Ulloa and Oscar songs only work at a surface-level of knowledge, of which nationality they are. If North Standers want more of the stadium to join in, they need to come up with better material rather than say 'here's Go Left - like it or lump it.'

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whilst we're on the subject of The Judge, someone should tell him that "Go left right left" is a gash, turgid chant that does absolutely NOTHING to improve the atmosphere inside the North, never mind the Amex. There's a reason why it hadn't been heard since about 1988.

Yeah. It wakes me up all the time. Just as I'm nodding of to the metronomic passing of Greer and Upson, some upstart kicks a chant off! I prefer the silence.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I am content. But then I don't measure the atmosphere of a match by how loudly The Judge and his cohorts can shout their way through their ditties. There is so much more to it, such as the frustration as a pass goes begging, the stunned cries as Ulloa fluffs his penalty, the laughter as Keith Andrews does his trick to beat a player, the hushed expectation as Lua Lua gets the ball on the wing.

I'm not saying that singing can't add tremendously to that. It can! However, it's songs that capture a moment perfectly (like 'The Great Escape' at the famous Burnley game) that achieve this. I'd much rather silence than pre-programmed songs that lyrically do not support the side and players, and are mere efforts to state which stand you are sitting in, and that you hate Crystal Palace.

There are people that are very up for singing. However, if they are so interested in it, why have they not come up with anything new that truly captures the flavour of Albion's team and situation in 2014? Being shot-shy, having a clumsy-yet-powerful running midfielder in Rohan, having a pacy winger who can't cross, and having a bald full-back who is a box of tricks and can't defend. All of this is good material for a new generation of songs that make others laugh and encourage them to join in. Usually, though, all we get from those keen on singing is 'go left', 'we're the north stand Brighton boys' and 'Alllll-bion'. They say nothing about the team, let alone be supportive of it. Even the Ulloa and Oscar songs only work at a surface-level of knowledge, of which nationality they are. If North Standers want more of the stadium to join in, they need to come up with better material rather than say 'here's Go Left - like it or lump it.'

I was with you in paragraph one.

I agreed with you in paragraph two.

But paragraph three is all over the place and doesn't know what it is doing.

Sadly, I think the good old terrace chant disappeared when standing disappeared. Go Left, doesn't harm anyone. Everyone knows the north west sing it, so why is it a problem. It's hardly detracting from the atmosphere is it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was with you in paragraph one.

I agreed with you in paragraph two.

But paragraph three is all over the place and doesn't know what it is doing.

Sadly, I think the good old terrace chant disappeared when standing disappeared. Go Left, doesn't harm anyone. Everyone knows the north west sing it, so why is it a problem. It's hardly detracting from the atmosphere is it?

Ha!

I think I found a long-winded way to say, 'if people want others to sing, they need to come up with better material'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst we're on the subject of The Judge, someone should tell him that "Go left right left" is a gash, turgid chant that does absolutely NOTHING to improve the atmosphere inside the North, never mind the Amex. There's a reason why it hadn't been heard since about 1988.

Has to be said that it is a chant in dire need of somebody writing a proper ending. The current one is both INEPT and INERT.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ha!

I think I found a long-winded way to say, 'if people want others to sing, they need to come up with better material'

Oh I agree.

It's just I think we've got our priorities wrong when we start attacking a bloke that is doing something to be vocal. You're right, we do need more songs. Get rid of Go left and we've got one less rather than one more.

I also agree with you that atmosphere is measured by far more than just the singing. That said, I'm a Judge fan (and I've never sung Go left in my life).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Go left go left.
Go left right left.
Go back on yourself;
Turn around;
Stop; Look at the map;
Go left go right go left.

In honour of [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh I agree.

It's just I think we've got our priorities wrong when we start attacking a bloke that is doing something to be vocal. You're right, we do need more songs. Get rid of Go left and we've got one less rather than one more.

I also agree with you that atmosphere is measured by far more than just the singing. That said, I'm a Judge fan (and I've never sung Go left in my life).

Good points.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
At the moment go left right left is a reflection of the Albion. It's basically what our defence and midfield do for 90 minutes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like the concept of go left and when sang/chanted loud at away games it sounds pretty good, but yes the lyrics are pretty average.

But frankly how can anyone have a go at the bloke for that? Show me someone else who is starting songs and supporting as loudly as he. You can't moan at someone for trying.

I am deliberately not commenting on whether he has or has not been banned or whether he should or should not be, as I have none of the facts, much the same as the majority of posters on this thread.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Has to be said that it is a chant in dire need of somebody writing a proper ending. The current one is both INEPT and INERT.

Everywhere we go (crowd repeat)
People wanna know (crowd repeat)
Why our scoring's low (crowd repeat)
When we have Leo (crowd repeat)

We are the frightened (crowd repeat)
The frightened Brighton (crowd repeat)
So shotshy are we (crowd repeat)
We can't score a penalty! (crowd repeat)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here