Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Judge

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another thread where I think there is probably more to it than the OP has suggested. If the club are trying to ban a supporter who tries to get the crowd going then it is a complete disgrace as we need everyone we can to get the crowd going as no one else does but I think there must be more to this.

Agreed, isn't the key here ...

travels the length and Breadth of the country getting behind the Albion and encouraging others to do so as well

Depends how the "encouraging" is done, at The Amex and Withdean I have heard people "encouraging" and it can be too enthusiastic to the point of intimidation. Personally I don't go to sing, but I acknowledge that many do and good luck to them. I also don't get intimidated when people tell me to sing but some do, don't know if this is the case or not?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
OK, we need a designated singing section. A place where people who might get a bit "intimidated" by football fans singing are clearly advised not to sit & have no right to to complain about people who do.

Barber and co are clueless if they don't understand the importance of a good atmosphere.

Barber's in charge of banning and the what not? I thought that was head of operations or something. But continue your attacks on Barber, whilst calling for Tony to open his cheque book.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I think if you get intimidated by people encouraging you to sing, you need to get out more....give me strength!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can see both sides really.

The Judge clearly sees the Amex North Stand as a direct spiritual continuation of the Goldstone North Stand. Same as many of us do who chose our seats in the North on that basis, however romantic that notion may be. Most of us, however, accept it has to be a pretty watered-down version of what was at the Goldstone.

Now see it from the point of view of people, maybe a father/mother and son/daughter combo, dipping their toe in the water at the Amex for the first time. They choose seats in the North on a purely budgetary basis, and assume it'll just be like neutrally picking a seat at the cinema. In the event, they've been allocated seats within bellowing distance of The Judge. They maybe feel intimidated a wee bit (and I know of one long-term lady fan who admits to having been 'scared' in his proximity) and they complain to the club quoting their seat numbers. When that happens a few times over the course of a season, then of course the club has to act. Feel sorry for The Judge, don't know the bloke myself, but enough mutual friends on here have nothing but good things to say about him which on balance is good enough for me. However, I do think there will only be one winner in this case and that The Judge will end up being a victim of the Albion's relentless quest to morph into Reading.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe we need to face the fact that we'll never be a Stock, Aitken and Waterman hits factory. 'Go Left' would struggle to make the East German Billboard Top 300 in 1984, Both 'Oscar Garcia' and 'Who's That Man' tend to lack popular public appeal beyond the first line and 'Whoooo?' For opposition substitutions is more irritating than 'My Humps' by The Black Eyed Peas. Maybe Goldstone Rapper's 'Ince Charming' really is the way forward...

I scoffed at and ridiculed Palace chairman for allowing the HF to vet any new ticket holders in the blocks they are in at Selhurst.

The more I read here the more I think they may well have a valid point.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You seemed pretty confident that he'd get banned at some stage.....:whistle:

Yes - wish I could have placed a bet on it! I probably knew before the man himself. Was always going to happen. As per my prediction last year. If only he'd read and listened to my advice. Shame. But completely predictable in today's sanitised game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The Judge clearly sees the Amex North Stand as a direct spiritual continuation of the Goldstone North Stand. Same as many of us do who chose our seats in the North on that basis, however romantic that notion may be. Most of us, however, accept it has to be a pretty watered-down version of what was at the Goldstone.

Without rosy spectacles on, a watered down Goldstone North Stand would be akin to a Trappist monk convention.

Face it, bar the odd game when we were all 'up for it', the Goldstone was a pretty quiet place.
The exact same can be said of now.

The real kick in the goolies though is when we are all 'up for it' the AMEX is fantastic.
It's just a shame it takes a poor ref, a tight game, or a masterclass to raise the roof.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wow the song police are out in force on this thread - my only point is - the song which is being moaned about lasts about 3 minutes, it is usually sung once a game, that leaves over 90 minutes of playing time when it is not heard (well maybe 75 for some fans). - Is it REALLY a problem

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Without rosy spectacles on, a watered down Goldstone North Stand would be akin to a Trappist monk convention.

Face it, bar the odd game when we were all 'up for it', the Goldstone was a pretty quiet place.
The exact same can be said of now.

The real kick in the goolies though is when we are all 'up for it' the AMEX is fantastic.
It's just a shame it takes a poor ref, a tight game, or a masterclass to raise the roof.

Maybe the compromise solution is to forcibly reallocate The Judge to the WSU.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Maybe the compromise solution is to forcibly reallocate The Judge to the WSU.

Would be a shame to lose him from Amex. Stood near him several times away from home and always make for a better atmosphere. Without knowing all details hard to comment but surely a compromise can be reached.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I don't know The Judge to talk to but know who he is, and having seen him at many games home and away, and down the pub before and after, he seems a really nice bloke. He's the voice I can hear from my WSL seat trying to get the atmosphere going. Without people like him 21c footy would be even duller atmosphere-wise than it already is. If the club have got something genuinely worthy of a ban on him I'd be mightily surprised.

The thing that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about some modern fans, increasingly prevalent at The Amex these days, is this grass culture. I've been watching The Albion with my brother for 34 years without a problem until the QPR game when we were warned about our future conduct as someone had reported us after the Reading game for foul and abusive language. Now, yes, a few expletives slipped from our mouths during that game, but nothing that you wouldn't expect to hear at a football ground during a tasty and controversial match. That fact that people feel entitled to report fellow fans for that just leaves me cold I'm afraid. So we had the not-very-veiled threats of 'you're on cctv, we're watching you' etc, and I just sat there thinking "have I slipped into some kind of parallel universe here?". For the first time in those 34 years I am actually seriously considering not bothering with home games anymore, and if they're thinking of banning people like The Judge, well, that's another tick in the 'why do I bother' box.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Me and my son can easily see him and the group from where we sit in WSL and us and those around us often remark on his seemingly limitless ability to shout (not sure sing is the right word) for the full 90 mins +. From a short distance away it always looks like there is bit of a look which says 'why aren't you joining in ?' on his face which basically screams 'passionate supporter'. I can understand though anyone new and sitting in the immediate vicinity perhaps being a bit intimidated (although presumably no worse than siiting in the SE corner next to the away blocks). However there was some real dogs abuse being hurled at the 80 min + leavers at the Ipswich game from that group (I didn't notice it from him though, but others nearby), mainly directed towards the WSL (I missed this weekend as I was away but understand it was similar) - but the NS was emptying just as quickly at the same time. Suspect someone might have complained about this but to my mind this was really just an outpouring of frustration at a crappy performance.

Unless he's done something other than sing/chant (including LRL, it's crap but not really offensive), then the club would be making a huge mistake in banning him I reckon. He's almost single-handedly responsible for most of the noise at that end.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth about some modern fans, increasingly prevalent at The Amex these days, is this grass culture

You prefer astroturf?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Everywhere we go (crowd repeat)
People wanna know (crowd repeat)
Why our scoring's low (crowd repeat)
When we have Leo (crowd repeat)

We are the frightened (crowd repeat)
The frightened Brighton (crowd repeat)
So shotshy are we (crowd repeat)
We can't score a penalty! (crowd repeat)

Highly motivational stuff.

We need the stripes to go steaming in again to be honest.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Now see it from the point of view of people, maybe a father/mother and son/daughter combo, dipping their toe in the water at the Amex for the first time. They choose seats in the North on a purely budgetary basis, and assume it'll just be like neutrally picking a seat at the cinema. In the event, they've been allocated seats within bellowing distance of The Judge. They maybe feel intimidated a wee bit (and I know of one long-term lady fan who admits to having been 'scared' in his proximity) and they complain to the club quoting their seat numbers. When that happens a few times over the course of a season, then of course the club has to act. Feel sorry for The Judge, don't know the bloke myself, but enough mutual friends on here have nothing but good things to say about him which on balance is good enough for me. However, I do think there will only be one winner in this case and that The Judge will end up being a victim of the Albion's relentless quest to morph into Reading.

I understand what you're saying, but it would be very easy for the club to make it clear to first time visitors where they are sitting.

EG on the phone.

"I'd like two tickets in the northwest stand please?"
"I notice from your purchase history that you have never visited the Amex before?"
"That's right. I wanted to bring my timid 96 year-old Mum for the first time."
"Oh in that case, can I suggest the West Stand Lower? Or the East? It's just that the North West is the singing section and it can get a little loud there."
"Oh, ok. That's good to know."
"East or West then?"
"Oh North West please. My Mum's a nutter!"

Or Online:

Press to confirm purchase

'You are purchasing two tickets in the North West Stand. Please note that this is the singing section at the Albion. It is the noisiest part of the ground. Are you sure you wish to proceed?'

EASY

You are bang on right in saying others have rights, but the club should do more to protect all fans. Including the diehards that have been here long before them and will be here long after. I know I'm talking to a diehard as well.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
I understand what you're saying, but it would be very easy for the club to make it clear to first time visitors where they are sitting.

EG on the phone.

"I'd like two tickets in the northwest stand please?"
"I notice from your purchase history that you have never visited the Amex before?"
"That's right. I wanted to bring my timid 96 year-old Mum for the first time."
"Oh in that case, can I suggest the West Stand Lower? Or the East? It's just that the North West is the singing section and it can get a little loud there."
"Oh, ok. That's good to know."
"East or West then?"
"Oh North West please. My Mum's a nutter!"

Or Online:

Press to confirm purchase

'You are purchasing two tickets in the North West Stand. Please note that this is the singing section at the Albion. It is the noisiest part of the ground. Are you sure you wish to proceed?'

EASY

This all day long, would benefit everyone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here