Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've never seen Mogwai outside of a festival. Can only imagine that are extra excellent.

On Drill, similar to TGE I suspect if you prepare throughly and don't indulge in ridiculous venue hopping, you'll see what you want. £60 equates to £15 a day. There's more than enough on that bill outside of my first choices already to justify that. Plenty more to come.

Also doesn't look like there's any official queue jump option so outside a bit of guestlist/VIP there won't be any of that delegates pass nonsense to contend with.

The £60 ticket certainly is good value. Even if I just went in the evenings it's worth it- one of the best line ups I have seen for a festival in a long time.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Who's off to see Real Estate tonight then? Really excited for this - last time I saw them was in front of a massive Primavera crowd so will be a really nice contrast. Slightly worried that it's at Komedia downstairs - haven't been since the refurb but before that it was the worst venue for sight lines I've ever been in (yes, even worse than Sticky Mike's!). Never seen a venue that small with Tv screens in either side of the stage - they knew how crap it was as well!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Who's off to see Real Estate tonight then? Really excited for this - last time I saw them was in front of a massive Primavera crowd so will be a really nice contrast. Slightly worried that it's at Komedia downstairs - haven't been since the refurb but before that it was the worst venue for sight lines I've ever been in (yes, even worse than Sticky Mike's!). Never seen a venue that small with Tv screens in either side of the stage - they knew how crap it was as well!

Venue not the best but I think Sticky Mikes wins for not being able to see anything. Tonight's support is Alvvays- make sure you are there to see them as they are brilliant and their debut album is one of my favourites of the year. Enjoy the evening.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Not a big fan of the Komedia I have to say. I tend to get there fairly early and nab one of the seats at the side and look out onto the stage in line with it.

Alvvays should be pretty good in support as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good night at the Haunt tonight saw an excellent gig by the 2 bears only an hour but it went down well. Fatboy Slim and Zoe Ball were in attendance.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Real Estate were ****ing great. Only seen them at festivals before, but their intricate guitar style really suited the smaller venue. Seemed like a real nice bunch too (except the Ducktails bloke, who seems off his tits). Alvvays were a good support act too. Good evening.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Can't help being on old fart but I'm off tonight to see the Rolling Stones again here in Perth.Have to be honest Im really looking forward to it.Any other Seagulls in Perth going tonight or Saturday?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't help being on old fart but I'm off tonight to see the Rolling Stones again here in Perth.Have to be honest Im really looking forward to it.Any other Seagulls in Perth going tonight or Saturday?

I still love them and still go and see them. Enjoy it, they are incredible performers/entertainers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw The War on Drugs on Monday night. A thoroughly enjoyable Monday evening. They seem a very different operation to when I last saw them; they're very polished these days and their sound was very clear, with a soothing and at times hypnotic groove. I also feel their kraurock elements come to the fore when they play live and opener Burning* is a great example. An Ocean Between the Waves is every bit as epic live as it is on record and a guy turned to me at the end and said that song could go on forever and he wouldnt care. It was a gig where you often felt you were drifting away somewhere...but in a very positive sense. I had a bit of a bollocks day at work and they completely cleared my head and took me away from my shit day.

* - krautrock, Springsteen and Dire Straits sounds awful on paper but it somehow works IMHO.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Saw The War on Drugs on Monday night. A thoroughly enjoyable Monday evening. They seem a very different operation to when I last saw them; they're very polished these days and their sound was very clear, with a soothing and at times hypnotic groove. I also feel their kraurock elements come to the fore when they play live and opener Burning is a great example. An Ocean Between the Waves is every bit as epic live as it is on record and a guy turned to me at the end and said that song could go on forever and he wouldnt care. It was a gig where you often felt you were drifting away somewhere...but in a very positive sense. I had a bit of a bollocks day at work and they completely cleared my head and took me away from my shit day.

They were great at the Concorde this summer. Eyes to the wind and ocean between the waves were both epic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were great at the Concorde this summer. Eyes to the wind and ocean between the waves were both epic.

I forgot to mention we got treated to a cover of Tangled Up in Blue as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am at a loose end on my own on Saturday night so I have bought a ticket for the somewhat bizarre Here Lies Love David Byrne and Fatboy Slim musical about Imelda Marcos.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Gigwise, after a fairly busy October and a just as busy December coming up I only have The Lovely Eggs and maybe The Voyeurs booked up for November. Anyone got any recommendations for anything else?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got Metronomy, Morrissey and Motörhead tickets for November. A slightly different Movember for me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've got Metronomy, Morrissey and Motörhead tickets for November. A slightly different Movember for me.

I completely forgot. Going to see Morrissey straight after the Fulham match end of Movemeber too as it is now known

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Gigwise, after a fairly busy October and a just as busy December coming up I only have The Lovely Eggs and maybe The Voyeurs booked up for November. Anyone got any recommendations for anything else?

I'm convinced you'd get on with Trans Am - 11 Nov and 'Allo Darling 18 Nov

Other punts - Ben Frost 10 Nov, Adult Jazz 15 Nov , Marika Hackman 20 Nov, Cloud Nothings 20 Nov, Merchandise 27 Nov, Black Tamborines 30 Nov.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm convinced you'd get on with Trans Am - 11 Nov and 'Allo Darling 18 Nov

Other punts - Ben Frost 10 Nov, Adult Jazz 15 Nov , Marika Hackman 20 Nov, Cloud Nothings 20 Nov, Merchandise 27 Nov, Black Tamborines 30 Nov.

Thanks indeed. A fair bit there to look into. Think I saw Adult Jazz support These New Puritans at the great escape last year. Allo Darlin I do like too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here