Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is that it then?

Are we done for the day?

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree with some that the lack of investment on the playing field is worrying.

All this talk of premier league ready is nonsense. You can have the best infrastructure in the world but it's the players that cross the line every week who will ultimately get us to the promised land.

If Spanish Rodney and Dale Stephens turn out to be the only new signings this month than that is so disappointing and sends out completely the wrong message. We have the highest attendances out side the premier league and yet we are still a selling club. How the club have sold Bridcutt on the final day of the window is beyond me. Granted we have a ready made replacement in Ince but this has been dragging on all month. We should have got rid two weeks ago giving us time to reinvest and strengthen in other areas.

As a club we seem so fixated on FFP and whilst that is commendable to a degree, it's also extremely frustrating when other clubs seem to abuse the system.

Finding it very hard to get excited at the minute if truth be told

I don't think it has anything to do with FFP. We have high standards when it comes to players and if we cannot get, let's say, 1 of our first 3 choices in a position, then we keep the money for when we can. It's called a long term plan, not short termism, splash the cash on anyone and hope they do alright. The clubs policy is only buy if we can get better than we already have.

Having said that, I reckon there is more to come this window. Plus we have the loan window coming up, which is where we are more likely to find a decent winger/creative midfielder, for example

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
"News for Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Hull fans here, from BBC Sport's Juliette Ferrington.
Blackpool have pulled the plug on any loan deal for Tom Ince apparently."

it is reported both Sunderland and Palace would try and sign Buckley if the Ince deal falls through.
Go home and turn off your mobile Burke.

We're not interested in selling Will. And he's injured. Fear not.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"News for Sunderland, Crystal Palace and Hull fans here, from BBC Sport's Juliette Ferrington.
Blackpool have pulled the plug on any loan deal for Tom Ince apparently."

it is reported both Sunderland and Palace would try and sign Buckley if the Ince deal falls through.
Go home and turn off your mobile Burke.

We could get a very hefty fee is they go against each other as a panic buy.

Jimmy Grimble

£8 million loss expected.

I repeat.

If we need to use the Bridcutt money to plug that hole we're not really in a position to complain. A tinge of disappointment? Yes. Complain about the motives of the club? More fool you. We have a squad that's capable of a top 6 finish, if our injury luck improves we're still in a good position to achieve that. And this isn't a case of being a 'better' fan as some have suggested. It's about not wanting to end up like Pompey.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think we didn't need to replace Liam. We have Ince / Andrews, who have been doing well in Liam's absence.
Barnes was/is an av Championship striker. 6 in 24. Should be relatively easy to 'replace' (not like for like). We seem to be taking a punt on Spanish Rod and/or one of CMS/Hoskins stepping up. Risky.
AEA - to me, this is our biggest squad gap remaining.

I don't see a solution to our miserable scoring form this season though. We need some attacking intent but ,at the moment, it looks like we are not doing anything about it. We only play 1 striker so adding Rodriguez probably isn't going to make a great difference.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough, but Ashley Barnes was the one striker - and the one who cost us relative peanuts - who consistently stepped up to the mark. Pound-for-Pound our most valuable recent (ex) striker by a country mile. IMHO, like.

Yes, playing the lone striker role. NOT the supporting striker one. Ulloa is our first choice CF. He was when Ash was here / he is now. The question is, who is better playing off of him? Personally, I would back CMS AND Hoskins over Ash (if either of them are match fit). Can't really comment on the new guy, but has 'lightening pace' according to Naylor.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No. It is about balance. The club don't need to spend millions, just demonstrate that they are ambitious to reach the promised land with 1 or 2 more signings. Not generate a huge January transfer window profit.

I agree to a degree - it is about balance and I would still hope for another signing but there's no point in, for example, signing Conway for 2 and a half years for a fee and decent wages just to show how ambitious we are, because any player we sign long term has to be potentially a Premier league player which, to my mind, Conway isn't and a loan would have been much better for us. It's a difficult juggling act by the club but I'd prefer us to keep a few quid in the kitty than buying for the sake of it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I can't believe how negative people are being. Have you forgotten we nearly went out of existence in the relatively recent past.

Bloom ha bankrolled the club and I am pleased we are being sensible. We can't rely on him to bank roll us forever. He has a LONG term plan. If we reach the prem this year then great, if not then maybe next. There are about 12 teams who could realistically go up. In reality I think leics are too good this year and will take one. Qpr are probably out of range too. So in reality we probably have ten teams fighting for one plAce through play offs. Is it worth gambling to try and chase that one place? One will succeed and NINE will fail.

Bloom has decided to run a sensible policy. Good. Many may stretch too far and see it crash down. Look at Pompey.

Ten years ago we came 4th in league one and charlton 7th in prem. we have signed their best player. We are clearly on an upward curve so enjoy it and stop complaining.

Either that it you can chuck millions of pounds of your money down the football drain.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't see a solution to our miserable scoring form this season though. We need some attacking intent but ,at the moment, it looks like we are not doing anything about it. We only play 1 striker so adding Rodriguez probably isn't going to make a great difference.

I am in the 'play a 2nd striker off of Ulloa' camp (retaining a 4-3-3), just like Oscar did with Will before his latest injury. Therefore Spanish Rod / CMS / Hoskins could well have a KEY role to play in the remainder of the season (upping our goals per game stat) IMHO.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, playing the lone striker role. NOT the supporting striker one. Ulloa is our first choice CF. He was when Ash was here / he is now. The question is, who is better playing off of him? Personally, I would back CMS AND Hoskins over Ash (if either of them are match fit). Can't really comment on the new guy, but has 'lightening pace' according to Naylor.

Sorry, but I'll always regard CMS as Alex Revell 2.0. WAY too much aimless running around without any natural strikers sense of position. The One Trick Pony thing of a through ball to beat a mediocre defender doesn't really work at this level anymore. Ashley Barnes had that sense of position. CMS doesn't. No wonder AB felt undervalued. Shit state of affairs to be sure.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm still worrying about last minute bids for Buckley and dare I say it….Ulloa and Kooshack.

I've been all positive and serenity for most of the transfer window but, have to agree, if any of these went now and we didn't get players better than them, then the transfer window will become more than a disappointment, it will represent a significant statement of mid-term mediocrity.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree to a degree - it is about balance and I would still hope for another signing but there's no point in, for example, signing Conway for 2 and a half years for a fee and decent wages just to show how ambitious we are, because any player we sign long term has to be potentially a Premier league player which, to my mind, Conway isn't and a loan would have been much better for us. It's a difficult juggling act by the club but I'd prefer us to keep a few quid in the kitty than buying for the sake of it.

100% agree.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

I repeat.

If we need to use the Bridcutt money to plug that whole we're not really in a position to complain. A tinge of disappointment? Yes. Complain about the motives of the club? More fool you. We have a squad that's capable of a top 6 finish, if our injury luck improves we're still in a good position to achieve that. And this isn't a case of being a 'better' fan as some have suggested. It's about not wanting to end up like Pompey.

Spot on. Top post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, but I'll always regard CMS as Alex Revell 2.0. WAY too much aimless running around without any natural strikers sense of position. The One Trick Pony thing of a through ball to beat a mediocre defender doesn't really work at this level anymore. Ashley Barnes had that sense of position. CMS doesn't. No wonder AB felt undervalued. Shit state of affairs to be sure.

Fair enough. I disagree, but I think we maybe about to find out! Gus NEVER played to CMS's strengths (despite saying he would build the team around him). Here's hoping Oscar does play to CMS's undoubted strengths, and the goals start flowing. 11 in 29 (CMS under Gus last season). Barnes 6 in 24 (this season as Ulloa cover).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I am in the 'play a 2nd striker off of Ulloa' camp (retaining a 4-3-3), just like Oscar did with Will before his latest injury. Therefore Spanish Rod / CMS / Hoskins could well have a KEY role to play in the remainder of the season (upping our goals per game stat) IMHO.

I too would very much like to see 2 strikers, and if Oscar does go for it I'd imagine Rodriguez is the best bet. CMS isn't up to it (IMO) and I don't think Hoskins will be ready for a month or so. I still feel we would benefit from another winger/forward with pace, at the moment with one winger we are too predictable and are creating too few clear chances.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

If we stay as we are now (with Buckley) and get centre back cover on loan (cant see us getting Baird but certainly the right type to have in the squad) I think we have enough but I agree we need to change the personnel used on a matchday to make the system more effective. CMS is potentially a huge bonus and Spanish Rod once match fit. However we need to win 3 of our next 4 games before all our resources are back and available and that might require OG to take a gamble on scoring some goals with what we have available now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here