Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
How much did Sunderland spend on Fletcher a year or two ago? They are now trying to act like they are poor. We shouldn't be taken in by this crap, if this is the case. Di Canio was also given a good deal of money to waste in the last transfer window on dross. Their owner is loaded, plus all the tv money they must be raking in...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I would suspect the club would like to get any sales out of the way early to give us time to bring in new players with the proceeds well before deadline (panic buy) day.

Very true ... plus Poyet doesn't have time, he'll want his targets done and dusted or he'll move on

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Di Canio was also given a good deal of money to waste in the last transfer window on dross.

Not true at all. That was the start of the trouble between PDC and the board - PDC had no say in the transfers, they were all handled by the director of football. When Gus took over, it was made clear to him that he had no control over transfers and he said he was happy with that.

What I don't understand is how Sunderland do have money to spend - in the summer the club bought 14 (I think) players, that should be a big enough refresh and now want to buy more. I get that they have to sell first but even so, 14 is a hell of players to assimilate without adding more to the mix

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My scenario also included:

"There will be very high expectations of him from the fans, Short, Di Fanti and the rest of the Sunderland squad as he would be a "Gus signing". There would be nowhere for him or Gus to hide and he has to live up to that Golden Child reputation Gus has put on him. Both their futures will be put under extremely close scrutiny."

Are you suggesting Liam has no ambition? That its easier to stay in the champ with no pressure? Doubt it myself. In many ways its easier at Sunderland as gus knows how to play Liam, where to get best out of him - and a player like him is key to gus's style.

Anyway, if he was good enough to be overwhelming player of the season at a club that finished just four places behind where Sunderland are now, I think he'll be just fine

Where have I suggested that Liam staying here would mean he lacks ambition?

All I have said is that the move to Sunderland doesn't come without consequences if it doesn’t work out.

Yep Gus knows how HE strictly wants Liam to play, but maybe Liam is enjoying learning the Oscar way now. Let's not forget that Liam did not have one shot on goal under Gus in the Championship and so far he is having at least one shot a game under Oscar, taking corners and getting into the box.

If we get the asking price for him I’m happy for him to go, and it will be interesting how he gets on, but I know that if he stays here for the rest of the season he will become an all round better player.

We signed Ulloa for Gus last February and by March he said he wanted to leave, so who is to say that Gus will still even be at Sunderland in a few months.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
How much did Sunderland spend on Fletcher a year or two ago? They are now trying to act like they are poor. We shouldn't be taken in by this crap, if this is the case. Di Canio was also given a good deal of money to waste in the last transfer window on dross. Their owner is loaded, plus all the tv money they must be raking in...

This was probably rhetorical, but for the record it was £12 million.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

He cost £12m.

Hull have just offered £8m for him but Gus is reluctant to sell for less than £10m.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The view from the north east is that the Mackems are seriously underwhelmed by Bridcutt. They think he's decent player but not the sort of player that'll make the difference to them staying up or not. They are desperate for players that'll add creativity and goal scoring. Gus only has a limited budget so I think the longer this drags on the better for us as. The pressure will mount from the fan base for Gus to be seen to be active and he'll end up needing to go elsewhere. I agree with the sentiments from many on this post - why on earth would TB want to make the move easy for a bloke who a few months ago was sacked and created merry hell for our football club at the beginning of this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The view from the north east is that the Mackems are seriously underwhelmed by Bridcutt. They think he's decent player but not the sort of player that'll make the difference to them staying up or not. .

Instant pressure on Liam then, with not much of a honeymoon period if he doesn't hit the ground running.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I really don't think TB will let any sort of personal agenda get in the way of this deal; he's a business man and it would be stupid considering that Sunderland are not our rivals in any sense.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Where have I suggested that Liam staying here would mean he lacks ambition?

All I have said is that the move to Sunderland doesn't come without consequences if it doesn’t work out.

Yep Gus knows how HE strictly wants Liam to play, but maybe Liam is enjoying learning the Oscar way now. Let's not forget that Liam did not have one shot on goal under Gus in the Championship and so far he is having at least one shot a game under Oscar, taking corners and getting into the box.

If we get the asking price for him I’m happy for him to go, and it will be interesting how he gets on, but I know that if he stays here for the rest of the season he will become an all round better player.

We signed Ulloa for Gus last February and by March he said he wanted to leave, so who is to say that Gus will still even be at Sunderland in a few months.

This.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really don't think TB will let any sort of personal agenda get in the way of this deal; he's a business man and it would be stupid considering that Sunderland are not our rivals in any sense.

Not this season but there's a good chance we'll be in the same division as them next season. Not only would they be strong favourites with parachute payments but Gus PLUS Liam returning would probably be one of those Amex games that's too much for everyone concerned. Why make it easy for Poyet?

As I said earlier, sell when the price is right but not untill. 2.5 mill is NOT the right price.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The view from the north east is that the Mackems are seriously underwhelmed by Bridcutt. They think he's decent player but not the sort of player that'll make the difference to them staying up or not. They are desperate for players that'll add creativity and goal scoring.

Understandable. Most fans would think like that. But Gus knows how essential LB is when he sets out his team. His presence will allow the creative players to be more creative. Gus is not daft.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever happens its about time we got what we deserve for players like Palace always seem to.We have sold players such as Bennett and Noone for far too little lately.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we sell Liam for anything less than £4M, to Sunderland or anyone else, then we will be the ones looking stupid. The relationship breakdown between Gus and Tony is NOT the issue here. It just does NOT make any sense to let Liam go on the cheap.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever happens its about time we got what we deserve for players like Palace always seem to.We have sold players such as Bennett and Noone for far too little lately.

Ain't that the truth. If Gus/Sunderland wants Liam so badly, and I've no doubt he does, then he has to pay the correct price, and stop making derisory bids.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
One thing that is very important to remember is that Liam has not handed in a transfer request, and if he had, we would have probably sold him for the £2.5m offer.

As it stands he is happy here and his transfer purely hinges on Gus putting our asking price for him on the table. There is no haggling and Gus can make as many increased offers as he wants but until he offers bang on the money required he will be wasting his time.

We may have already told Gus that in principle he has an agreed deal for £5m and in that sense a deal has been done but the the ball is firmly in Poyet's court.

Liam isn't desperate to go and we are not desperate to sell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Maybe David Burke should be told that by Bloom. He used to do the same job at Southampton and got good prices for their players, so I can't see why he doesn't get a decent price for us.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
One thing that is very important to remember is that Liam has not handed in a transfer request, and if he had, we would have probably sold him for the £2.5m offer.

As it stands he is happy here .

Not handing in a transfer request is, sadly, absolutely no indication that the player is happy here.

Bridcutt has asked to leave verbally. The key financial ramification of handing in a written transfer request is that the player will lose any right to a contracted sign on fee.

The player, if confident his agent will get him the move, will never hand in a request.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here